CrazyBoards.org

I am unsure if I am posting in the right place, so I apologize if I am. I just got word two days ago that my psychiatrist is leaving the clinic that I go to, and that next week is his last week. When I asked the office staff where he was going, no one knew. This is really hard for me to deal with as I became emotionally attached to him. He only worked at the clinic that I go to for a little over a year. This is a huge shock to me. I was told that I would be put on a waiting list for the new psychiatrist who will be replacing him. I have trust issues and I am wary of seeing someone new; and this is really upsetting to me because I really trusted my pdoc. I am wondering, that if he is staying local if I am allowed to still see him? and how can I found out where he is going if his office staff won't tell me? will my insurance company know where he's going, or are there any other resources that could help me find out where he is going? A lot of things were left unanswered for me and I would really like some closure. I am having a very hard time dealing with him leaving, any advice is much appreciated. 

Edited by mistermartini

I'm sorry you just heard that your pdoc is leaving in a week.  That isn't much time to  process that, IMO.

When you see your pdoc next week at your last appt, can you ask him about all your questions then?

I found that writing a letter to one of my DRs (when he was retired) helped with closure for me.  There was one DR (who retired about 7 years ago) that I didn't do that with and I totally regret it.  If I could find him, his address, I would write to him in a heartbeat.

6 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

I'm sorry you just heard that your pdoc is leaving in a week.  That isn't much time to  process that, IMO.

When you see your pdoc next week at your last appt, can you ask him about all your questions then?

I found that writing a letter to one of my DRs (when he was retired) helped with closure for me.  There was one DR (who retired about 7 years ago) that I didn't do that with and I totally regret it.  If I could find him, his address, I would write to him in a heartbeat.

I don't have another appointment with him unfortunately and I cannot schedule one as he is booked all next week. I was supposed to see him back in October but since i stopped seeing my therapist I could no longer see my pdoc (the clinic has a policy where u have to see a tdoc in order to see the pdoc ) and I started seeing a new therapist just last week when the receptionists told me he was leaving. I could write a letter to him but I don't even know where he's gonna go or what his address is. He could even be moving out of state for all I know as he is licensed to practice in another state as well. 

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you wrote.  That is a tough situation.  Any chance you can page him or call him while still in the office?

I am going to try to call the office either tomorrow or Tuesday but usually I never got to speak with him directly and I'll probably just get the same answer from his receptionists and waste my time ?

I'm sorry you get treated like that there.  Will you be looking for a new pdoc there, or in another location, or private, etc?  If it were me, and I was not going back there anyway, I would call every 1/2 hour or so asking the questions you want to ask, saying specifically that you will call again in 30 minutes if you haven't heard from him by then.  I've only done this with my pdoc once when i needed meds, and with my landlord if I have a very pressing issue.  Worked with both people.

Or maybe you could write a letter to him ... BUT send it certified and with a signature required so you know he at least got it. 

That is all I can think of at the moment.  Will post if I can think of something else.

5 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I'm sorry you get treated like that there.  Will you be looking for a new pdoc there, or in another location, or private, etc?  If it were me, and I was not going back there anyway, I would call every 1/2 hour or so asking the questions you want to ask, saying specifically that you will call again in 30 minutes if you haven't heard from him by then.  I've only done this with my pdoc once when i needed meds, and with my landlord if I have a very pressing issue.  Worked with both people.

Or maybe you could write a letter to him ... BUT send it certified and with a signature required so you know he at least got it. 

That is all I can think of at the moment.  Will post if I can think of something else.

I really want to follow my old pdoc ... I am not ready to go to someone else and I am praying that I will still be allowed to see him if he stays in my area. I am going to call up the office and ask again where he is going, but I'm pretty sure I don't really have a right to know since he is referring all of his patients to his successor who will be there in a month or so. I hate that I am dealing with this right now ): ??

1 hour ago, mistermartini said:

I really want to follow my old pdoc ... I am not ready to go to someone else and I am praying that I will still be allowed to see him if he stays in my area. I am going to call up the office and ask again where he is going, but I'm pretty sure I don't really have a right to know since he is referring all of his patients to his successor who will be there in a month or so. I hate that I am dealing with this right now ): ??

I'm sorry you are too.

If you wait until he is gone, send a letter to his old office. They will probably forward it to him. Then it's on him to get back in touch with you. In the meantime, I'd get on a wait list with a new pdoc. You can always cancel your appt. if your old pdoc does offer to have you continue as a patient.

So I just found out that my pdoc switched hospitals and is still in my network and is right by my workplace. The hospital that he switched to is also where I see my primary care doctor. I am worried that he will deny me care since he used to see me when he was working at the previous hospital. I am not really sure how any of this works tbh but would like some advice. I am planning on calling him as well as transferring my mental health care soon. 

It couldn't hurt to try. However, he may be unable to take you as a patient. It is often the case that doctors sign "non-compete" agreements when they go to work for an office. That means they agree not to "steal" their former patients from the office where they once worked. If that is the case then he may be contractually bound not to accept you as his patient at the new office. I just want you to be aware that if he can't accept you it is likely nothing personal.

I live in Michigan and while there are non-compete laws they are very much disfavored especially in healthcare and sometimes not fully enforced (or if they are, only for a year) , but otherwise it's good to know about this.  Thank you for the heads up though. I'm going to see if I can still see him 

Edited by mistermartini