CrazyBoards.org

Are there alternatives to Lithium that won't cause weight gain?

Hey guys,

My pdoc started me on lithium 300mg twice a day because he said it will prevent suicidal thoughts.

However, I took lithium before and it made me gain 25 lbs within 2 years. Also took lamictal but discontinued due to allergies.

Do I have alternatives to lithium that won't cause weight gain? 

8 hours ago, carlossong said:

Hey guys,

My pdoc started me on lithium 300mg twice a day because he said it will prevent suicidal thoughts.

However, I took lithium before and it made me gain 25 lbs within 2 years. Also took lamictal but discontinued due to allergies.

Do I have alternatives to lithium that won't cause weight gain? 

Hi carlossong,

I'm not sure what ur taking the lithium for, but I have bipolar depression and have been on lithium before. It made me gain weight as well. One med that has worked well for me without weight gain is geodon. That's not the only med that I'm on though. That mainly controls the manic part of my bipolar. But every med works different for everyone. I still have to be on antidepressants. Like I said its different for everyone. Some people need 1 med some need 4. I hope u can find what ur looking for. Good luck and take care.