CrazyBoards.org

Who Hates New Year's Eve?

I think there is so much pressure to party, have friends/dates and be happy and it sucks!  I think that is why so many people have trouble on New Years, because there is so much pressure to participate in something that you're not about and it makes you feel abnormal or like a loser, when the rest of the year it doesn't matter who you're with or what you're doing.

Is that a non-sensical rant or do you know what I mean?

We are having a few people over tonight, so I have to clean and cook for an event that I hate!

Who else thinks it is bogus? 

Cheers to who we are; love me or leave me this is what you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me!! I hate it! Conversation with any random person I know:

person: So, what are you doing for New Years?

me: Err...<insert one of following activities: watching tv/reading/listening to music/revising>

person: *blank look* Errr....ok. I'm going to a party.

me: Errr...cool.

person: so ya wanna come?

me: No

Like why would I want to go to some party heaving with drunken people? Or to a club....heaving with drunken, sweaty people? I do not get it. Why do people get so excited about god damn New Years? Why don't we all piss our pants with euphoria on the 5th of February? I mean it's been a full year since the last 5th of February, so why not?

I do not understand people. Or New Years.

New Years Eve has always made me feel kind of sad.

When I was between husbands/boyfriends it seemed like all the usual bars I went to were Couples Only, it would cost $100 per couple but you got party favors and free (nasty) bar champagne. (wow)

Even if I was with someone I would not drink so I could drive.  I would have to pretend to drink just to not cause a fight.  I hate drunks when I'm not drunk. 

I live in FL and few years back a friend lived in a rented house out in the country. They had a bonfire, we took food, it was BYOB, and there was room for us to stay all night.  Some people brought their kids, we had fireworks, it was warm (as usual) and we partied inside and out.

kane

When I was with my ex we would go out on new years eve, and honestly I did have fun.  But I was always a drinker so it kind of gave me an excuse to get slammed.  Also, holidays, when celebrated, give me a chance to get out of myself for a night, put everything aside, and just be normal. 

I lived in upstate NY at the time and I always wanted to go to Times Square for new years but no one would ever go with me.  Now its too far away so no longer an issue but I would still have no one to go with. 

So now that I wont be going out, then yea new years sucks.  Im working tonight for the time and a half, and to avoid the fact that I have no life.  I am beginning to hate all holidays because they are reminders of what I will never be/have.

I hate any "holiday" that puts a bunch of drunk drivers out on the road. It's been a couple of decades now since I made the decision to never go out on nights like this. Haven't regreted it either.

The alternatives mentioned by Rabbit and rayzunkane sound very cool. Nice way to celebrate.

I hate any "holiday" that puts a bunch of drunk drivers out on the road. It's been a couple of decades now since I made the decision to never go out on nights like this. Haven't regreted it either.

Sad part is, in my past I've been one of those horribly drunk drivers. I mean, what's done is done, no damage ever, but I'm glad that that part of my life (I hope) is over.

Honestly, I'd rather be in fuzzy slippers watching tv tonight, but the rest of the family is revved up to go. I'm sure I'll enjoy it once I get there.

Have a Happy One, Revlow and everyone!

I have such a differnet perspective--for ,many years, I had wonderful New Years, in Atlanta,at a friend's over-100 year old  home, filled with all kinds of folk, sometimes upwards of a hundred, no one tried to drive, all the kids got stashed at one house where my daugher made a killing babysitting.  We cooked ribs, often an inpromptu band formed, it was wonderous and fun and just like it was supposed to be.

When I moved to Charleston, we had a friend--best friend--who owned a bar, which he closed on NY eve, for a "private paty--we dressed up (sweatin our asses off, its HOT on Hew Years there!) had great food, wild drinks, my hubby and his dear friekd who owned the bar always tried to burn down the deck with firecrackers, and we always stayed till dawn's early light. We wore sily hats, drank cheap champagne, and generaly had a wonderous time. 

On the eve of 2000, we partied like it was 1999 with our friends, the Hells Angels, who know how to put on one hell of a party.  We dressed to the nines, ate wonderful food, and took scads of pictures of all of us making total fools of ourselves harmlessly.

Now, the house is long gone, and many of those Atlanta friends are dead, in jail, or otherwise occupied.  Our friends in the "red and white" don't have many parties any more, thanks to the cops who think they are evil incarnate or something,and our dearest friend in C'ton, who was our best man at our wedding  is dying from cancer, and my husband and I are completely alone in a new "city"  We had a gift cerfiticate from OUtback we had planned to use, and were gonna supplement it with our own money from out check card, but his company screwed iup his check, and tho we have $700 in the bank, we cannot touch it until Tuesday. Whoopie

So here we are--he is glued to the TV , watching shows on disasters like Volcanes and Tsunamis over and over (whats that mean?) and I am exhausted from crying and just want to sleep.

So blessings to all, and to all a good night. Tomorrow I go to the beach to start my new year in the way that I feel I need to start it.

I hope 2006 brings contentment and safety and calm for all of us.

Love to each of you in this valued community==

China

But, we have a town-square type celebration every year, starting at 6 or so, with various bands - classical, Celtic, brass - magical acts, poetry readings, all occuring every 30 minutes at different locations. I'm actually looking forward to it. If I need to just go walk the streets and get away from the noise and people (it's a small town, not that it's that bad), I can. Then fireworks in the town square at midnight... close enough to get ashes in your face. We've invited several close friends to walk back to our house (4 blocks up) for a toast of champagne.

Rabbit, that sounds wonderful. I wanna live there!

I stopped going out on New Years Eve years ago. Before that, I would party with a small group of friends and either spend the night or drive home if I felt sober. Almost every year, I would be detoured around a multiple fatality car wreck on my way home. It made me realize that I just don't really need to go out on New Years.

My 18 yr. old son is having friends over to our house tonight to barbecue, party and spend the night. I'll be collecting keys as they come through the door. Maybe it will save a life or two.

Most years these days, after the holidays are in the past, I'll go to dinner with friends and celebrate making it through the holidays alive and relatively sane.

Happy New Year. It's gotta be better than 2005.

Greeny

My new year's eve plans fell through - a bunch of us were just going to get together at a friend's house, but not even that can work out for us  ;)   - so I'm stuck at home with the grandparents and the dogs. heh heh. But I figure, I went out for dinner last night, and to my stepmom and brothers' on Thursday, so that should count as my social interaction quota for the next, oh, month or so.  :)

Anyway, I love all of you, and I wish you all the best in 2006.

CA

PS: Greeny - gotta hug you for collecting keys @ the door. Makes me smile.

yes, I hug

in a monotone voice: 

I think I have a personality disorders in which I do not desire to be around others

leaving the rest of the world to party forgetting my existence

the new years eve song means time goes by

how are you spending your time?

i hate new years because it reminds me how i spent the whole year

in my bed avoiding others

and that makes me sad

leaving me with no close friends i want to spend new years with

But, we have a town-square type celebration every year,  We've invited several close friends to walk back to our house (4 blocks up) for a toast of champagne.

Rabbit, that sounds wonderful. I wanna live there!

Greeny

Well, it;s *been* cool in past few years. Honestly, tonight's not been so fun. Extremely small turnout, the kids (3 & 5) sent me into an anxiety attack before I left. Oldest daughter and I took the little ones home for a while, we'll bundle 'em up and walk back down to see the fireworks later.

GOOD FOR YOU for collecting keys. Kids have no clue when they've drank too much. And yeah, it'll be fun celebrating when things get a little saner!

Have a good one, Greeny!

I stopped partying on New Year's *ages* ago.  I don't know where it's written that people have to get drunk of their ass to bring in the new year.  I was always taught that you should bring in the new year as you want to live the new year.  For the past ten or so years, I've been bringing it in quietly with as little fuss as possible.  If someone invites me to their party, and I feel like going, I'll go - that doesn't mean I have to get drunk... where is it written that I have to drink to party???  Last time I got drunk on New Year's Eve was 1999, and that was for the first time in years.

Generally, I get a small bottle of wine, or recently some sparklng cider (love that stuff), and toast the new year in with my girls.  This year the last daughter home and I are not doing a damned thing for various reasons.  We didn't even make black eyed peas or make a special dinner.  We're staying up until midnight.  That's about it.

Ah well, there's always next year. 

I think there is so much pressure to party, have friends/dates and be happy and it sucks!

I completely agree.  For the past few years (since 2000 in fact) I've avoided all parties and social gatherings of any kind and gone to bed early... with a feeling of dread as to what the new year holds. This year is different in that it's the first one my husband and I are spending together.  As I sit typing here it's 11:15pm, he's lounging behind me eating cereal (hey, I can never get him to eat anything, so this is a breakthrough lol), and I'm happy and content for the first time since I can remember.  The new year actually holds possibilities for me - something I would never have imagined possible if you'd asked me at the same time last year.

Peace and goodwill to all of you for 2006

Skittle

i don't usually hate New years but oh dear did it go out with a bang this year.  2, 2 panic attacks in a few hours!  i think i'm ok now but man i had a big tizzy with the rents over it.

at least i didnt touch the booze they offered ;)

Archived