CrazyBoards.org

Re-evaluation

I seriously find it incredibly hard to accept my schizoaffective diagnosis. I have not had a psychosis since that first one close to six years ago. I take 5mg Abilify. I feel i am not on the correct treatment. I'd like an antidepressant as well as a mood stabaliser. But the NHS pdoc a won't give me this option. I went to my GP and we agreed maybe I need to seek an opinion privately. 

1 hour ago, saintalto said:

Perhaps that lack of psychosis is the ability at work. Are you stable enough to function and get by without too much difficulty? If you are stable, I wouldn't go rocking the boat unless necessary. 

I don't want to develop TD. I've been on this med a very long time. I'd like to get off antipsychotics if I have the option

5 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I also agree that getting a second opinion sounds like a good idea.

Why won't the NHS pdoc give you the option of the other meds?

They won't see me frequently enough. I keep getting discharged back. They're of the same opinion if it's Working I shouldn't waste their precious time 

44 minutes ago, Pearly said:

I don't want to develop TD.

I have been on atypical antipsychotics (including Abilify) for going on 12 years now without issue. TD is so hugely rare in atypicals like Abilify, you probably have more to worry about if you take aspirin regularly. There are serious side effects to all drugs, including over the counter, if you really want to read the fine print. I guess when it comes down to it, Abilify is much safer schizoaffective. If you aren't having psychosis symptoms, Abilify is doing its job. If it's working and you are functioning... why change? It's hard enough to find a working medication much less ditch it and try and find yet another personalised cocktail.

• Like 1

Pearly ... I can understand better your frustration about you not believing your diagnosis because if you do have the dx of SZA, I would think (me, personally) that your pdoc would want to see you more often ... and seeing how you are doing better for 6 years now, why wouldn't he want to re-evaluate your diagnosis?  I mean how does he know right now how your stability is when he barely sees you? 

I can understand though what saintalto said, that if you are stable to not rock the boat.  But I would also want a re-evaluation of my dx if I was doing well and hardly on meds.

Edited by melissaw72

I take into account both your opinions. Do you know how often I see my pdoc? It's been more than 9 months now. But sometimes I've gone a year without seeing one. It's frustrating. You go to your Gp because your having mood issues she refers you and you have to wait four months before you see someone. And when you do there's no point. You've quit your job and your mental state is much better. But I was fighting to keep that job. It was important to me. But they don't care about that. 

9 months has been a long time!  Wow ... that does sound frustrating.  I don't think I could deal with that.

You go to your Gp because your having mood issues she refers you and you have to wait four months before you see someone. And when you do there's no point. You've quit your job and your mental state is much better. But I was fighting to keep that job. It was important to me. But they don't care about that. 

I am not sure I understand (^^in bold).

Do you mean your mental state is much better now that you've quit your job (less stress, etc)?

13 hours ago, saintalto said:

I have been on atypical antipsychotics (including Abilify) for going on 12 years now without issue. TD is so hugely rare in atypicals like Abilify, you probably have more to worry about if you take aspirin regularly. There are serious side effects to all drugs, including over the counter, if you really want to read the fine print. I guess when it comes down to it, Abilify is much safer schizoaffective. If you aren't having psychosis symptoms, Abilify is doing its job. If it's working and you are functioning... why change? It's hard enough to find a working medication much less ditch it and try and find yet another personalised cocktail.

^this. You are lucky to have found a med that works so well at such a low dose. If you really want to give that up though. then make sure you do it with a dr's approval.

I've been on abilify for close to 10 years I'd say. No issues for me.

I see my pdoc every 3-4 months in the U.S. The public system here in my county is bad. It's sad. 

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

9 months has been a long time!  Wow ... that does sound frustrating.  I don't think I could deal with that.

I am not sure I understand (^^in bold).

Do you mean your mental state is much better now that you've quit your job (less stress, etc)?

Social situations stress me out. Not the job itself. I refuse to isolate myself. Why should I? So I got another job since and the history has started to repeat itself.