CrazyBoards.org

Are two AAP's better than one? Zyprexa prn?! Wanting off seroquel again.

I kinda want off one of my AAP's. Preferably seroquel.

I would like to try zyprexa prn. I want to lose weight and zyprexa was a miracle Med for me.

Also invega is now generic and that also intrigues me but I worry about prolactin long term.

I also think I prob do need an AD.

Are two AAP's really better than one?

I fought so hard to get back on seroquel. I'm afraid if zyprexa prn fails pdoc won't put me back on the seroquel. 

I really don't want to end up IP either as happened last time I tried to get rid of seroquel.

I don't think he will do anything anyway and I don't see him til mid February, but I plan on calling pdoc's nurse this late afternoon. I'd like to have a plan. Light therapy is a fail. Should have never trusted  pdoc.

Any thoughts or ideas or experiences about what I've wrote about regarding meds?

Seroquel is the the only atypical I can take without much issue. I seem to react badly to everything but quetiapine. As for prolactin levels, my pdoc won't put me on anything that can cause lactation. This cut out quite a lot of options, both atypical and the older AP's too, but I had pretty bad lactation reaction to risperdal so she said it was likely that wold happen again on any other drug that causes it. This isn't really an issue for anyone who hasn't had a lactation issue from AAP's or AP's. I am taking Clozapine now because it is literally the only antipsychotic I have left to try. 

As for weight and quetiapine, I have to say changing my diet to low carb fixed that for me. It's coming off quickly and I don't have those seroquel induced cravings anymore.

It sounds like you still have quite a few options open to you, and if you don't think Seroquel is doing the job adequately, utilise that list. 

• Like 1

Just left a voicemail for pdoc's nurse. Asked how long will it take for light box therapy to work. Then said I'd like to get off seroquel and have zyprexa generic on hand for as needed (such as if I get manic). Said seroquel makes me too tired and down and caused weight gain.

I have tried every AAP except for the new one rexulti and clozapine. Also never tried a typical AP.

Abilify has been good to me but isn't always enough. Seroquel is also good but I feel it drags me down too much. But it is an excellent anti-manic for me. 

I usually have some insight into mood swings so I think zyprexa prn is a good option for me. It has worked before and also kept me IP free. The weight gain got to be too much and I got sleep apnea. So had to go off it. Never occurred to me I could take it prn for short times and hopefully avoid gaining weight. 

I so hope pdoc is open to this as I did what he said and am trying light box. Please let this work!!

• Like 1

I'm getting nervous. What if I did the wrong thing? I don't know if zyprexa will help the depression. Maybe I just need an AD and to stay on the seroquel and the abilify. I don't know!

Maybe the weight gain is my own damn fault? And the tiredness from my sleep disorders? 

I've never done well on one AP, always seemed to need two.  

The voices are bad tonight. How is going off one AP going to help that? 

Can you ask your pdoc about just trying it out (what you want to try, like just run it by him ... and not forever, just want to see if it helps.  Just to get a feeling if he might be on board with that or not.  If he seems to, maybe he'll be willing to change your meds.  Or maybe ask to lower the seroquel dose?  That way you wouldn't go off of it, and then ask for (what meds you are thinking about asking pdoc for)?

I agree with Melissa.

It would be good to test the waters and see how they react to your ideas first before dwelling on your future reactions/possible results. They may not even be keen on changing anything. If they are, a trial doesn't last long, if something doesn't work you'll know it pretty quickly. 

You all have given me a lot to think about and opened my eyes to a lot as well. Thank you.

You are right I am jumping ahead of myself here. 

I am really doubting now that they will change anything. I have not even gotten a call back, and I left another message today just asking if nurse had heard from pdoc. I don't know what he will do, but my guess is nothing will be changed. I'm trying to not feel paranoid and negative about pdoc and all that stuff again. Tdoc reigned in some of that today. We actually discussed something!

I am thinking that they will have the same thoughts as VE that I should be asymptomatic for a long while before I should come off seroquel. It has been tried in the past and not been a successful venture, several times in fact. 

I don't know what the right answer here is. I have side effects yes, but mostly I stay ok and out of IP land. Being IP sucks more than sleeping too much and gaining weight, in my book at least.

And VE, I have not tried clozapine. Although it has been mentioned before briefly. Ironically, by a pdoc who said "why take 2 meds when one (clozapine) will do the job?"

3 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

And VE, I have not tried clozapine. Although it has been mentioned before briefly. Ironically, by a pdoc who said "why take 2 meds when one (clozapine) will do the job?"

It's the only atypical that can compare to Z, though I don't know about some of the newer ones.  The big downside is that it can cause a rare but fatal side effect, so you have to get weekly blood tests. 

Interesting VE. I know saintalto is currently trying clozapine. I will keep that med in mind. 

For now, I just left a message to nurse saying I want to stay on the seroquel xr. I weighed myself and I'm losing weight without dieting. Not a lot, but 30 lbs since I got on xr seroquel. (I have a lot to lose) The increased exercising is working and the xr is working too. 

I used to only take Geodon and lamactal until a mania that had paranoia, hearing things and seeing things. Then doc added Proloxin ( an old AP back in thr Haldol days) and Seroquel. I had taken Seroquel in the past. Thr paranoia went away and I slept better. The rest of the symptoms didn't go away until I quit working. 

When I was hospitalized they took me off Geodon Prolixin and increased Seroquel to 800mg. When I got released my regular pdoc put my Seroquel back to 500 mg and put me on a higher dose of Prolixin and plans to keep it that way.

There were some published research studies about if "drug cocktails" (more than one prescribed drug) were any more effective than single targeted drugs and the results, if I remember clearly, were that drug cocktails actually are NOT usually any more effective.  Yet some pdocs do it anyway, just like they often will prescribe a dosage higher than the documented upper limit that the drug manufacturers specify is not any more theraputic and just causes more side effects. 

Sorry I don't have the exact links for this.  I read about the drug cocktails study in Schizophrenia Digest magazine.  (I think it's now called Schizophrenia magazine).  It's not my favorite magazine, and it seems to have gone downhill but for some info about research it used to be pretty good.  You might be able to look up an old issue based up this and find the original and get the source info from that. 

Please take the time to substantiate your claims, nystagmus. 

It tok me less that a minute to find at least 10 peer reviewed professional journal articles on this topic.

for example...

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/treatment-resistant-psychosis-are-2-antipsychotics-more-effective-than-1/41eb0140668ea653683522c78d682086.html?tx_ttnews%5BsViewPointer%5D=1

There were some published research studies about if "drug cocktails" (more than one prescribed drug) were any more effective than single targeted drugs and the results, if I remember clearly, were that drug cocktails actually are NOT usually any more effective. 

This is not true with me ... drug cocktails are definitely more effective for me.  Only one med for me would do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I take quietipine (seroquel) and it works awesome for me, the only long lasting side effect that I've had was weight gain and a tiny bit of drool at the very start for several days.

I've never had olanzapine(zyprexia) nor for PRN but I've seen other people on it and it looks very sedating. Well, I know its a common drug for Bipolar type 1 in the UK but the only reason why I'm not on olanzapine (zyprexia) is probably because I was 15 when I was diagnosed and they probably didn't want to give me something that was very sedating. From what I've heard from others though, it almost certainly works, olanzapine for PRN that is. 

For PRN, I had clonazepam in the past to be honest which I suppose was sedating but I only took it for a short term till my mood calmed down.

Edited by StJimmy9151