CrazyBoards.org

Am I going hypomanic?

Hi, I'm a long time lurker but I think i've never posted before... I'm diagnosed as bipolar II, but I have only been hypomanic a couple of times in my life, the first time around age 20 and it was more like a mixed episode, and the second one three of four years ago (I'm 33) and it was more like a classic episode with lots of energy and motivation. In the meantime I've had my ups and downs (mostly downs) so I'm not very familiarized with being myself hypomanic, or telling it from just a temporary mood swing. It's only been a couple of days, little to no sleep but not feeling tired, I've only sleep an hour or so, and now I took my clonazepam so i can get drowsy and try to get some sleep. In the "mind" side of things, I'm very motivated, I want to start a new career and I think it's something I should have done years ago. I quit my current studies so I can prepare the tests to enter to Pharmacy School, so yeah, I've already done some pretty important decisions under this state but I think it's for the best.Have lots of plans for work, maybe starting a new business while I prepare my entrance exams, start working out again and It all seems like it fits perfectly, Anyway, I have a lot of thoughts and ideas and possible decisions I want to take in my life.

Should I be worried? normally I tend to gravitate to the depression side so this is kinda weird for me. Should I wait and see how I'm going? maybe take a visit to my pdoc... not sure what to do.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, The very fact that I've posted here is some kind of syntom that something is off (I rarely post on forums). But then again, maybe this is just a mood swing due to lack of sleep. or is it?

What do you guys think? thanks in advance and excuse my english, not my mother language.

I'm schizoaffective but I was originally diagnosed bipolar. I was reading and when I hit...

"It's only been a couple of days, little to no sleep but not feeling tired, I've only sleep an hour or so"

and

"I quit my current studies so I can prepare the tests to enter to Pharmacy School, so yeah, I've already done some pretty important decisions under this state but I think it's for the best.Have lots of plans for work, maybe starting a new business while I prepare my entrance exams, start working out again and It all seems like it fits perfectly"

I thought oh dear, time to call the pdoc. The quicker you get a hold of this the better so I'd call your pdoc now, and leave a message if it's after hours.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, saintalto said:

I'm schizoaffective but I was originally diagnosed bipolar. I was reading and when I hit...

"It's only been a couple of days, little to no sleep but not feeling tired, I've only sleep an hour or so"

and

"I quit my current studies so I can prepare the tests to enter to Pharmacy School, so yeah, I've already done some pretty important decisions under this state but I think it's for the best.Have lots of plans for work, maybe starting a new business while I prepare my entrance exams, start working out again and It all seems like it fits perfectly"

I thought oh dear, time to call the pdoc. The quicker you get a hold of this the better so I'd call your pdoc now, and leave a message if it's after hours.

I agree. Call the pdoc as soon as possible. This sounds very much like hypomania to me. Don't do any more drastic changes until you know what's up.

Another to agree.  Definitely call pdoc (psychiatrist) about all of this.

Are you on any meds that you take as needed that you could take one of, to help calm your mind down?  (ie benzo or something)  If not, I think that is something you might want to talk to your pdoc about also.

It sounds like you're having a lot of hypomanic symptoms.

Hypomania isn't necessarily bad by itself... I don't know your situation, and maybe you are making positive changes in your life... but the problem is that you're taking on so much. At some point you're going to crash, but you still have the new career and new business. I used to make this mistake all the time. Become hypomanic, take on a bajillion projects, and then get stuck managing those projects through normal mood or depression. Very stressful. 

So I would also say get in touch with your psychiatrist and/or therapist. There are med and behavioral changes that can help with hypomania. 

Thank you very much for your responses, I`m taking my benzo for this kind of situations and I'm mostly fine, and I agree that maybe I'm taking too much on my shoulders in soo little time, just got to calm down and take one thing at a time. Luckily the changes I'm doing in my life are for the better, and the business idea is just an idea at the moment, so I haven`t done any spending or anything that I could regret later yet. The new career thing is something I've been thinking for a while, but only now I had the motivation and the energy to take that step. I guess I'm going to canalize this excess energy working out and a mega cleaning haha until I get to my psychiatrist which should be soon.

Thanks for the advice again, love you all!

I agree. See your dr before you make irreversible damage to your life. 

Try to stay away from lots of stimulation. Quiet and low lit rooms are your friend. 

Don't make any huge life altering choices now either. Sounds like the change you did make was a long time coming. So that may be a good thing (I don't know you well enough to say for sure). 

Just be as low key as possible. 

I'm doing pretty fine actually, well, as fine as I can be being a little hypomanic, but I took the advice of everyone in here and I'm not taking any life-changing decisions, just things like starting to exercise again, organizing stuff, etc. The only bad (?) thing is that I'm eating less so probably gonna lose some weight, but I'm kinda overweight so I guess that's not too bad. I emailed my pdoc so he is informed and I'm taking my benzo to keep things in check, but I'm gonna see him in January (I'm from another town so have to travel like 6 hours to see mi pdoc) I really appreciate all your opinions and thank you again for your suggestions.