CrazyBoards.org

SSRI and Bipolar

I no longer will touch the anti-depressants "offered" to me, I stick by my Wellbutrin XL. In the many years ago, I tried and for quite awhile each the tdocs recommended, to horrors on me. NO longer, for mania isn't a joke, and nothing to play with, as in, "Let's give it a try and see if that happens with this one."

Please listen, but also learn to self advocate. It does take time to learn and know our own bodies and minds while going through such Hell, but with journaling and sharing with someone you truly trust, it will happen.

http://www.drugs.com/news/certain-antidepressants-may-linked-bipolar-disorder-study-59418.html?utm_source=ddc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly+Drug+News+Round-Up%3A+December+16%2C+2015&utm_content=Certain+Antidepressants+May+Be+Linked+to+Bipolar+Disorder%3A+Study

"In this case, however, it is difficult to say that these medications cause bipolar disorder, since several risk factors related to underlying bipolar disorder were not assessed in this study, said Baxi, who was not involved with the study.

This research indicates a correlation of antidepressant treatment and manic episodes without reviewing preexisting risk factors of developing bipolar disorder, she explained."

So I don't think this is any really good new news?!

Of course AD's can make people manic who have a bipolar disorder. Usually these people are not on a mood stabilizer and had not been assessed for possible bipolar depression (as opposed to unipolar depression).

Lots of CB-ers with bipolar do take AD's along with their mood stabilizing meds. It's dangerous to suggest they should listen to this and not touch AD's. Wellbutrin XL is an AD too, fwiw. Although not an SNRI or SSRI.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really believe that that study was properly conducted. They should have assessed people at risk for bipolar disorder. Dr's should get better at distinguishing and checking for bipolar depression as opposed to unipolar depression. There are different treatments for each condition (although bottom line is depression is present in both illnesses).

Not all ADs are as likely to induce mania.  I know my pdoc but me on Pristiq (while on a mood stabilizer and APs) and I was fine, and he said that was a low risk one.  A GP put me on Celexa, which induced mania and introduced me to the psychiatric system.  I think it depends on the AD.  

27 minutes ago, jarn said:

Not all ADs are as likely to induce mania.  I know my pdoc but me on Pristiq (while on a mood stabilizer and APs) and I was fine, and he said that was a low risk one.  A GP put me on Celexa, which induced mania and introduced me to the psychiatric system.  I think it depends on the AD.  

Jarn, I was on mood stabilizer also. Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. were all nightmares for me.

As Wonderful Cheese posted this is not new news, or good news. This is just one of many studies, that have listed this very true danger.

As always it depends on the AD, the persons chemistry, family history, and predisposition for bipolar. If one truly didn't have the MI of bipolar in their make-up, then of course they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

So yes docs should get a total patient background prior to prescribing anything, if you notice your doc doesn't do that, I would suggest asking them why, and offering all you know. If they act as if it doesn't matter, time to change docs.

If one truly didn't have the MI of bipolar in their make-up, then of course they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

FWIW, there is absolutely no history of any sort of MI in my family lineage (both sides of family). 

When I developed MI, it had nothing to do with my make-up in my family.  I'm the first one to ever have a MI on both sides of my family.  And I can go far back on lineage.  So even without someone having MI in your family history, there is still a possibility a person could develop it.  So there is still the possibility.

Sorry if this is off-topic a little, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

10 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

FWIW, there is absolutely no history of any sort of MI in my family lineage (both sides of family). 

When I developed MI, it had nothing to do with my make-up in my family.  I'm the first one to ever have a MI on both sides of my family.  And I can go far back on lineage.  So even without someone having MI in your family history, there is still a possibility a person could develop it.  So there is still the possibility.

Sorry if this is off-topic a little, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Sorry Melis, I should have known that one was coming ( I knew I was being sloppy in my usage of the word make-up ). 

My usage of "make-up", wasn't meant only on family history ( that is a factor in bipolar and schizophrenia) but also chemical and environment. By using word "factor" doesn't mean has to be there one hundred percent.

I'm sorry if I insulted you.

My first Full Blown manic episode came on after the death of two brothers, that were both sudden and very tragic, and given Lithium, Xanax and Paxil (environment, and SSRI's). I also had family members with illness (some treated, some not, some hospitalized, some committed suicide. Genetic). 

2 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

No, you didn't insult me.  I wasn't discrediting your situation.  I just wanted to make the point that in my case (at least) there was no genetic/family history component with my MI. 

Melis, so glad no bad feelings. So sorry you had to be the first for something like this.

5 hours ago, zooeyo said:

Sorry Melis, I should have known that one was coming ( I knew I was being sloppy in my usage of the word make-up ). 

My usage of "make-up", wasn't meant only on family history ( that is a factor in bipolar and schizophrenia) but also chemical and environment. By using word "factor" doesn't mean has to be there one hundred percent.

I'm sorry if I insulted you.

My first Full Blown manic episode came on after the death of two brothers, that were both sudden and very tragic, and given Lithium, Xanax and Paxil (environment, and SSRI's). I also had family members with illness (some treated, some not, some hospitalized, some committed suicide. Genetic). 

Sorry for your losses with your brothers. I lost my brother as well and too young (28) and it was unexpected too. Very, very sad to lose siblings. I don't think I'll ever get over losing him. 

In my case I lost my brother many years after my diagnosis of SZA bipolar. So it wasn't a factor. But I can see where that environmental factor could certainly be so stressful enough to "help bipolar come out" in susceptible individuals with the right genes. 

Again, sorry for your losses. It's tough. :( 

5 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Sorry for your losses with your brothers. I lost my brother as well and too young (28) and it was unexpected too. Very, very sad to lose siblings. I don't think I'll ever get over losing him. 

In my case I lost my brother many years after my diagnosis of SZA bipolar. So it wasn't a factor. But I can see where that environmental factor could certainly be so stressful enough to "help bipolar come out" in susceptible individuals with the right genes. 

Again, sorry for your losses. It's tough. :( 

Thank you WonderfulCheese, one was 23, the other 39. It's way too young, I just really couldn't grasp the senselessness of it all. I have difficulties understanding a lot of why things are like that. I really don't understand hate crimes, and war, and how they can go on forever.

I'm told I don't have coping skills, and don't know how to accept death, finalizations. Well, I believe I learn to cope better by feeling, and seeing their presence, and hearing them calling my name at times; and no longer fearing it, or feeling I'm crazy.

Maybe that's my coping, or maybe it's true, all I know is that I don't want that to stop, or them visiting me in my dreams.

I too am so sorry for the loss of your brother.

I'm not really sure this study is even news. The fact that some SSRIs have more potential to induce mania is *NOT* the same as causing bipolar disorder, and has been well documented for a couple of decades.

War is such a good question.  I think pride or ego have something to do with it.  You insulted me.  Your stole my _______  you did whatever and instead of turning the other cheek you respond with a fist and its eye for an eye tooth for a tooth and we all end up blind and toothless.

I guess I understand that its something else when someone kicks in your window and starts shooting at you.  I mean as far as shooting back.  But this is used so often as a pretense for war.  Like WWII Germany claiming they were invaded by Poland.  Or from what I understand the Vietnam wars tonkan gulf thing may have been a false flag thing.  I read a book where the Shah of Iran was put in power by having "hired" demonstrators yelling they were going to take over so it made it ok for him to be the new dictator.   Wow...  Off on a tangent.   Right?

14 hours ago, Wooster said:

I'm not really sure this study is even news. The fact that some SSRIs have more potential to induce mania is *NOT* the same as causing bipolar disorder, and has been well documented for a couple of decades.

I believe I did a great disservice to the study link I posted. I have trouble with my concentration like that at times.

Hell to the yes to studies being around since my time with this-late nineties about ssri's triggering manias, but this one interested me due to fact it was done on those being treating for major depression, than four years later brought back to see how many show bipolar/manic.

Was this article read? http://www.drugs.com/news/certain-antidepressants-may-linked-bipolar-disorder-study-59418.html?utm_source=ddc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly+Drug+News+Round-Up%3A+December+16%2C+2015&utm_content=Certain+Antidepressants+May+Be+Linked+to+Bipolar+Disorder%3A+Study

My brain is getting tired on this subject. It just caught my interest, take it for what it is. As in most studies the knuckleheads never cover all bases, or follow through.