CrazyBoards.org

So I'm going to be starting Wellbutrin IR. 50 mg. My pdoc is being super cautious due to mania risk for me. 

I've only tried the xl. I take provigil in the AM so I was thinking it could help when the provigil wears off in the afternoon. i don't know if I'd remember to take it mid day.

Anyone still take the IR? When do you take it? I feel like my pdoc is not treating my depression aggressively enough. I don't think this will touch it. I would prefer once a day xl. How is the IR different from the xl as far as depression and fatigue wise? Or is there no difference?

4 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

So I'm going to be starting Wellbutrin IR. 50 mg. My pdoc is being super cautious due to mania risk for me. 

I've only tried the xl. I take provigil in the AM so I was thinking it could help when the provigil wears off in the afternoon. i don't know if I'd remember to take it mid day.

Anyone still take the IR? When do you take it? I feel like my pdoc is not treating my depression aggressively enough. I don't think this will touch it. I would prefer once a day xl. How is the IR different from the xl as far as depression and fatigue wise? Or is there no difference?

I don;t understand why you would get the IR if you have a risk of mania. Though 50 mg. is a small amount, because it is immediate release, the wellbutrin is dumped out into your body all at once. When I took the IR, it made me VERY manic and wired. My body handled the XL much much better.

The only difference between the IR and the XL is the release method and the amounts you can take. The XL is limited to 150, 300, 450 XL.  The IR release pills can be smaller.  Taking it in the afternoon after the provigil wears off is a good idea, BUT, are you sure you want to start with that much? You can  cut the IR pill in half or even in quarters if you want to start slow which is always a good idea.

An older relative of mine was give the WEllbutrin IR and never ever would touch the stuff again because of how it made him feel. Years and years later he had the courage to try again and it turned out to be the perfect med for him.  This and my experience is why I am very cautious about the IR. The XL releases the med gradually into the body little by little which worked much better with my chemistry.

How was the XL for you when you tried it before?

I don't get my pdoc's thoughts on this either. I was under the same impression that the IR is dumped all at once and thus will be very stimulating. Which could lead to mania or panic attacks even?

Hell the xl worked but increased my anxiety a lot from what I remember. 

Of course I never speak directly to pdoc but through his nurse. Which only complicates it all. 

And nurse did not even order the Wellbutrin today. I checked the mail order pharmacy page. Looks like I won't even get to try it for weeks then as I am on monitored meds too. (Box is filled weekly)

And how bad is it to drink alcohol with the IR Wellbutrin? Am I asking for a seizure? I drink weekly. (I know bad bad)

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I don't get my pdoc's thoughts on this either. I was under the same impression that the IR is dumped all at once and thus will be very stimulating. Which could lead to mania or panic attacks even?

Hell the xl worked but increased my anxiety a lot from what I remember. 

Of course I never speak directly to pdoc but through his nurse. Which only complicates it all. 

And nurse did not even order the Wellbutrin today. I checked the mail order pharmacy page. Looks like I won't even get to try it for weeks then as I am on monitored meds too. (Box is filled weekly)

And how bad is it to drink alcohol with the IR Wellbutrin? Am I asking for a seizure? I drink weekly. (I know bad bad)

BAD to drink Alcohol with wellbutrin. yes. You know that already. For some people it exponentially increases the effect of a drink and for some people they don't know how drunk they really are. Are you at risk for a seizure?

If the XL increased your anxiety, the IR will even more. Why didn't the pdoc suggest the 150 xl again? This is a very common problem with wellbutrin: for some people the side effects - anxiety, mania, jittery - never go away. They did for me. I love bupropion. I take aplenzin but it is the same as Wellbutrin, just a different binder.  Wellbutrin relieved my depression in such a way I felt like I was two years old again, running through the creek into the woods, laughing with my little girl friends. That 'high' of course went away and life came tumbling back. Now I call it depression on drugs. DOD. Very different. When I go down the rabbit hole I have a sense it WILL end. This is NOT my whole life.

I started with the IR, went to the SR, and then settled on the XL. 

Can you request a meeting or phone call directly with your pdoc?

8 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I am on Wellbutrin IR, and yes, at least for me it goes right in to your system.  I need to take it 2-3 times a day (3 max) ... 100 mg, 2-3 x/day because it does wear off much quicker than the longer acting wellbutrin.  I take it all during the day ... spread out ... (not close to the night) only or else I can't sleep well.  It helped me with depression.

For me the difference between the long-acting and IR was that the long-acting wore off in the early afternoon (after taking it in the early morning) so it felt like it wasn't doing much.  So I asked pdoc about immediate release and he agreed.

I agree with water ... could you try to get an earlier appt or at least a phone call with pdoc?  or get onto a waiting list? 

IMO, starting off slow with the IR is better than giving you a higher dose to start.  He is being careful, IMO.  It might not touch it right away, but I would give it a chance.

Thank you both. I called and asked about if pdoc would call in prescription so I can start it today. Also asked about trying the xl version that I've been on before. I hope she gets back to me.

Water, I'm not at risk of a seizure. I have been looking for a reason to not drink anymore and I guess I found it. Thank you. 

Thanks for the info Melissa. I appreciate you sharing your experience with it. 

29 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

She actually just called back! I get to pick up the Wellbutrin IR today. She said the xl had a greater risk of mania due to it being in my system longer?! I don't know if that's true. But whatever. I'm just glad she called again! 

The XL is kind of like a slow-release, or an extended release, so it is in your body all day (or whenever you take it), releasing a little at a time.

I'm glad she called back!  That was a quick call-back!

As a quick note, I couldn't handle wellbutrin the first time that I took it because it caused too much anxiety (though not mania).

I'm on it now and it's working really well (though it's XL rather than IR). I think it's because the rest of my drug combo is right, so it tampers the anxiety that would have been created by the wellbutrin. When I tried it the first time, I didn't have as many of the other meds.

4 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

She actually just called back! I get to pick up the Wellbutrin IR today. She said the xl had a greater risk of mania due to it being in my system longer?! I don't know if that's true. But whatever. I'm just glad she called again! 

Yay!!

I would cut out all caffeine for the time being. It adds to the anxiety in the beginning. 

Also, keep in mind what Dances said - if wellbutrin does HELP your depression but also CREATES some kind of anxiety, that can be offset with another med. I take both Lexapro and Wellbutrin but also anti-anxiety meds as needed. 

Thanks again Melissa, water, and dances. You have been very helpful!!! 

I took one half of a 100 mg pill of the IR late this morning. 

I didn't think about that but I've not been on Wellbutrin with a good dose of seroquel and klonopin in place. 

I did have caffeine with lunch. Which I can cut back on for sure. 

Feeling kinda buzzy and a bit hyper but not unbearable. No extra anxiety yet. Yay!

But if all goes well I hope to build to a more therapeutic dose.

I'll give it a shot!

I'm glad your pdoc gave you a med!  That's great news Cheese!  It's very possible that with the Quel and Klonopin the Wellbutrin will not make you manic (worth a shot, anyways, since you are struggling so much with depression at the moment).  

14 hours ago, jarn said:

I'm glad your pdoc gave you a med!  That's great news Cheese!  It's very possible that with the Quel and Klonopin the Wellbutrin will not make you manic (worth a shot, anyways, since you are struggling so much with depression at the moment).  

Yes it is great news, thanks jarn! I think you are right about having the right meds in place. Not manic or too anxious yet at all. So far so good!

• Like 1