CrazyBoards.org

I'm Rapid Cycling....

I got taken off 10 mg Abilify a couple weeks ago because of side effects. I'm still on my mood stabilizer and 50mg Trazodone at night for sleep. 

So after I got taken off the Abilify, it's been varying moods, like 1-2 days of slightly high moods, switched off by 1-2 days of a real low mood...but it wasn't that extreme of feelings. This has been going on for a couple weeks. Yesterday I was in a high mood, and I woke up in this high mood this morning, and it switched to a real depressed mood by lunchtime. Now it's 3-4 hours later, after drinking some caffeine, I'm back in a OCDish high mood. Basically, the mood changes are getting closer and closer together, and the peaks and valleys are getting higher and deeper, meaning I'm feeling more hypomanic, and more depressed (gloomy, borderline suicidal ideations).

I left a message to my pdoc who was seeing a client at the time.

Anyone else been in these types of mood changes? Does the intervals of lows and highs getting shorter mean it's going to stop soon? I've never had this before. Does something like this stop by itself, or did you guys have to do a med adjustment?

Thanks

I remember this particular day when I was walking home. I felt fine then I suddenly burst into tears and couldn't do anything. I called my husband to say I was stuck and hiding on a back street and as he was about to come and get me I suddenly was fine again, cheerful even. Then I went home and about a few hours in, I got so angry and I started screaming at my husband about something. I can't even remember why. Then I laid on the bed for a long time drained of energy and motivation. This would go on day after day but what was weird is there would less and less fine periods as the days went by. And the moods eventually stopped being seperate and merged into an ongoing mixed state with everything deciding it wanted to be felt at once. 

I would avoid caffeine. It makes things worse in my experience. 

Have you managed to see or speak to your pdoc since posting this?

I've had rapid mood switching before... for about a month and a half last March/April. I don't know what it meant or what it's called or what it is... but it's scary. For me it was more like 1-4 days hypo/manic, 1 week depressed, both states with tons of anxiety and some delusions. Starting lithium finally ended the cycling.

In any case, I hope you're doing all right and have had some relief from symptoms!

On December 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM, mood_slayer said:

I got taken off 10 mg Abilify a couple weeks ago because of side effects. I'm still on my mood stabilizer and 50mg Trazodone at night for sleep. 

So after I got taken off the Abilify, it's been varying moods, like 1-2 days of slightly high moods, switched off by 1-2 days of a real low mood...but it wasn't that extreme of feelings. This has been going on for a couple weeks. Yesterday I was in a high mood, and I woke up in this high mood this morning, and it switched to a real depressed mood by lunchtime. Now it's 3-4 hours later, after drinking some caffeine, I'm back in a OCDish high mood. Basically, the mood changes are getting closer and closer together, and the peaks and valleys are getting higher and deeper, meaning I'm feeling more hypomanic, and more depressed (gloomy, borderline suicidal ideations).

I left a message to my pdoc who was seeing a client at the time.

Anyone else been in these types of mood changes? Does the intervals of lows and highs getting shorter mean it's going to stop soon? I've never had this before. Does something like this stop by itself, or did you guys have to do a med adjustment?

Thanks

I feel like I'm reading my life in your post. I'm so sorry your suffering like this. It's terrible. I hope it stops by itself, I really do.

I had this going on for 5 or 6 months in 2013/14 (after a prelude of hypomania for a few months). My pdoc said it was a mixed episode. The mood states would alternate rapidly like that, and sometimes they would both be present at the same time, which was even worse.

Along the way I had four or five distinct crashes, which would occur after a combination high/low went on for a while rather than the moods alternating. At that point the peaks and troughs were really extreme, and I felt like a ping pong ball being whacked back and forth. I experienced fits of extreme rage and became suicidal. Then I crashed into a soul-crushing depression that lasted for a few days. Then things would calm down and I'd have a week or two of much milder depression before the whole cycle would repeat.

My pdoc stopped seeing patients and I had to find a new one. Since it was at this time of year, it was really hard to even get a call back, much less an appointment. I finally got in and was prescribed  lithium. But things escalated again and I needed something to manage the acute symptoms, so I got an Rx for Zyprexa PRN. That knocked it out, although symptoms kept coming back periodically, so I kept taking the Zyprexa. Then I guess the lithium worked, because the episode dissipated a little while after I hit a therapeutic dose.

Anyway, it was just awful, and I hope I never have a mixed episode again, as I barely survived that one. I hope your episode ends soon. Can you get a PRN from your pdoc? I now take mine at the first sign of (mixed) mania, and it zaps it.

Edited by Flash

On 12/21/2015 at 10:27 AM, Flash said:

Anyway, it was just awful, and I hope I never have a mixed episode again, as I barely survived that one. I hope your episode ends soon. Can you get a PRN from your pdoc? I now take mine at the first sign of (mixed) mania, and it zaps it.

My PRN was Abilify which was so good at killing mania, but I had to stop it because I was getting really compulsive with eating and wanting to gamble. Apparently there's some big lawsuits going on against Abilify where it made people gamble all their money away. If this pertains to anyone and you gambled all your money away on Abilify, you should google this join one of the lawsuits.

So my pdoc gave me the go to use Seroquel PRN and try to find the right dosage to kill this ultradian rapid cycling. I started out with 100mg this past Saturday night. But there were no immediate effects, as my mood kept switching every few hours, from a state of happy focused energy, to suicidal hopeless depression. This has probably been the most miserable torture I have experienced in my life. Rollercoaster ride from hell. I think I wished my quick death about 30 different times during the last week as I was conjuring up different ways to do it. I can't believe there's other rapid cycling bipolars who have to deal with this crap year in year out. I feel for you guys.

So last night, I said F this, and I upped my Seroquel dosage from 100mg to 300mg at bedtime. I woke up at 6AM, and took another 100mg and slept until 3PM, which is about 15 hours of total sleep straight. Since 3PM today, my mood has been OK I think. No depression yet. I'm hoping the 400mg of Seroquel killed it all. We'll see. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to talk to my pdoc about depakote or zyprexa. It's so hard to be patient in this.

This has been crazy and debilitating. I had a job interview today that I had to flake on and can't even respond to other employers emails. I'm just trying to stay alive.

7 minutes ago, mood_slayer said:

My PRN was Abilify which was so good at killing mania, but I had to stop it because I was getting really compulsive with eating and wanting to gamble. Apparently there's some big lawsuits going on against Abilify where it made people gamble all their money away. If this pertains to anyone and you gambled all your money away on Abilify, you should google this join one of the lawsuits.

So my pdoc gave me the go to use Seroquel PRN and try to find the right dosage to kill this ultradian rapid cycling. I started out with 100mg this past Saturday night. But there were no immediate effects, as my mood kept switching every few hours, from a state of happy focused energy, to suicidal hopeless depression. This has probably been the most miserable torture I have experienced in my life. Rollercoaster ride from hell. I think I wished my quick death about 30 different times during the last week as I was conjuring up different ways to do it. I can't believe there's other rapid cycling bipolars who have to deal with this crap year in year out. I feel for you guys.

So last night, I said F this, and I upped my Seroquel dosage from 100mg to 300mg at bedtime. I woke up at 6AM, and took another 100mg and slept until 3PM, which is about 15 hours of total sleep straight. Since 3PM today, my mood has been OK I think. No depression yet. I'm hoping the 400mg of Seroquel killed it all. We'll see. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to talk to my pdoc about depakote or zyprexa. It's so hard to be patient in this.

This has been crazy and debilitating. I had a job interview today that I had to flake on and can't even respond to other employers emails. I'm just trying to stay alive.

Sorry you had to miss your interview. I completely understand, as I know I could not have coped with that when my moods were on a rollercoaster like that. I hope the seroquel worked for you. 

Sorry to hear about the job stuff, but your health is far more important so it's good you got some rest.

Just wanted to chime in and say Seroquel stopped my rapid cycling and mixed episodes better than any other med, even Zyprexa (which is some heavy duty stuff). I'm on 300 mg right now and its working wonderfully. I hope you continue to find relief!