CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
TakeAChillPill

Cats. Please Don't Declaw.

My mother had my cat declawed in 2010 during my first and only mental hospital stay which lasted 10 days and 10 nights.  I am financially dependent on my parents so technically "my house" is their house and "my cat" is their property too.  I will forever hate them for this selfish act of cruelty in silence with a bitterness I will never be able to outwardly express because to do so would make them believe I am crazy.  

My cat has always been very good cat!  She was less than a year old when my mom had her front declawed.  She (the cat) never did anything wrong.

I remember how my cat clung to me when I got back from the hospital- how she would not leave my side for months.  I knew in my heart that she needed me for comfort because of the harm that had been done on to her.  I was still her mommy and she knew it was not my fault.  I feel guilt however.  I don't want her to be be less than perfect and healthy.  I want her to be the most happy she could possibly be but I feel like she's never going to be the same deep within her soul.  I know she's wounded, not just physically, but mentally.  She can't climb.  Every time I see one of those indoor cat trees my heart sags because I know my cat can't play on one anymore.

She still plays every once in awhile but not too often. 

I am outraged every single day that people are so ignorant and that it had to happen to my dearest friend, Sushi.  I love her even she she's moody or when she gives me playful bites that hurt.  

Every so often I will tell my parents that I won't get another cat when Sushi passes someday unless they promise me that they won't have it declawed and I've almost made my mind up that i will not even think about getting another just in case it happens again.  People can be stupid.  

I am so very sorry that my cat can't be free, normal, and energetic like cats with their claws are.  I am so, so sorry.  She's an angel from heaven and she remains affectionate but I know she's sad  and I hurt inside for her- and I always will.    

We had a declawed cat that turned up at our doorstep in a cat carrier. She was covered in fleas and matts too. My mom cut her fur back and gave her a flea bath (before Frontline/Advantage and all that). Because of her claws, we couldn't let her outside. She also had a lot of behavioural problems when I later found out were connected to the declawing.  She used to pee in the bathtub and often on the rugs. Never used her catbox. She also was very inactive and rather withdrawn. I don't understand why people do it, it's easy enough to get a scratchpad and teach the cat to use it.

Well, I have to politely disagree. I had our cat, mulder, declawed when he was two. He was extremely destructive, just about ruined our furniture. Yes, tried the scratching post, he couldn't care less. Since then, he has quite frankly been the perfect cat. He's quite hyper and playful, extremely loving. He will not, at any point, be an outdoor cat AT ALL. None of our cats will, regardless of claws. 

Just saying, declawing isn't always the reason for misbehavior. 

Our last cat came to us declawed and he seems perfectly happy, in fact the most content cat we have had. I don't think declawing is always awful. We had other cats that were declawed and they played all day. I haven't noticed a difference between clawed and declawed except our furniture is not as scratched.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html

I'll add that I had one cat with scratching issues who didn't respond to scratch pads. We used Soft Paws and the furniture was saved. The first thing the vet noticed when my Mom brought our declawed kitty in was the declawing. Said they refused to perform the procedure as it was inhumane. This is how I was introduced to it, so I suppose i'm somewhat biased, but I still disagree with it.

Declawing is amputation of their toes.  As far as I'm concerned, the value of furniture is not worth amputating your pet's toes.  We have scratching posts and some slightly clawed on furniture - but who cares?  Are we fancy?  

• Like 2

They've outlawed declawing in NY state, so you won't have any choice in the matter if you live here.

olga

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, olga said:

They've outlawed declawing in NY state, so you won't have any choice in the matter if you live here.

olga

Much of Europe too I believe (though I'm speaking OOMA (out of my ass)).

Edit:  It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy  I speak OOMA correctly.

Edited by jarn

2 hours ago, jarn said:

Much of Europe too I believe (though I'm speaking OOMA (out of my ass)).

Edit:  It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy  I speak OOMA correctly.

Yup. The Humane's Society link I shared above also said "Many countries have banned declawing. The Humane Society of the United States opposes declawing except for the rare cases when it is necessary for medical purposes, such as the removal of cancerous nail bed tumors."

Edited by saintalto
  • Like 1

Yes, Europe has mostly banned declawing as animal cruelty. 

In the UK there is actually a list of  "five freedoms" for animals. And one of those is freedom to express normal behaviour.  Saying that the Animal Welfare act also outright bans non medical declawing as a prohibited procedure unless for medical reasons. 

Wow, I didn't realize declawing had been banned in some places, and that it was considered inhumane.  My cat is declawed.  We had it done when he was small, and he seems perfectly cool with it.  Of course, we would never let him outside.  There is a danger that a declawed cat would accidentally get outside and then be vulnerable in the outside world, though.  Frankly, I'm glad he's declawed so that he won't scratch our kids.  They like to pick him up and play with him, and he doesn't always feel like playing.

I wouldn't have a cat that was not declawed around kids.  A cat scratched my mom's eye when she was young and she nearly went blind.

My DH told me I couldn't bring my cats "in his house" when I moved in unless they were declawed. I was apprehensive, but I caved so I could move in.

I regret that decision because I feel it is unnecessary and inhuman. But I DO have to say this... one of my cats got out once, and ever since was an 50/50 inside/outside cat. And he does exceptionally well. He even hunts birds, moles, mice, and lizards with no problem whatsoever. I hate the fact he is declawed, but it never held him back.

• Like 1

My parents had my cat declawed when she was a kitten (I was 14 at the time, so I really didn't have much of a say).  She is now 15 years old and the absolute light of my life.  When my parents found out what declawing actually was though, they didn't have any of their next cats declawed.  I sometimes wonder if my cat hadn't gotten declawed if she wouldn't be as neurotic, but I'll never truly know.