CrazyBoards.org

Question about weight and Abilify dosing

I am an excessively overweight person, being a woman and weighing in at 300 pounds.

My Pdoc thinks that the more weight I lose, the less Abilify I will need.  Is that even a proven thing?  Sometimes I wonder about my doctor.  

I have never heard that bigger people need higher doses of Abilify and vice versa.

I'm not really complaining because I think I feel better on a lower dose.

Any ideas? 

I think, from reading some of the literature, that some meds are dosed in mg per kilogram, and the dose that finally gets marked on the label is the dose for an average weight person. Abilify might be one of them but I don't know. In that case, your doctor would be correct.

• Like 1

This is a 10-page east-to-read PDF, which talks about what the OP's pdoc said (I think he is right):

http://www.able.org/studies/detox/drug_storage.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also,

FWIW ... I found this on another board (last post, 2nd page) ... there were no cited reports, but was in part based on personal experience :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3870-do-psych-drugs-stay-in-body-fat-for-years-released-by-exercise/page-2

in the past year or two, i have myself noticed an interesting correlation between exercise and worsening of symptoms.  this correlation was, in fact, a key component in my first wondering if im experiencing side effects/withdrawal related to my years of psychotropic usage.  that, of course, doesnt indicate an underlying causal relationship or anything, but i have interesting observations to note, at least.  these sometimes involves some researched facts (which are often fairly common, but i can cite my sources if people are wondering about any particulars)---this isnt meant to be an argument for a particular conclusion, as i really have no idea of the truth myself.

about the meds (i primarily focus on antipsychotics because they have been far more egregious and toxic for me personally):

1. antipsychotics are stored in our bodys fat cells, markedly in forms and amounts that can effectively administer a clinically significant dose even after complete discontinuation of the medication

2. antipsychotics also cause an increase in body fat composition, both visceral and subcutaneous, and furthermore start replacing lean tissue with unnaturally fatty tissue even if there is no net size or weight gain from the process --- this intense fat buildup will thus contain some measure of the medication, though individual dispositions (digestive and metabolic, genetic fat-compositional traits, etc) probably greatly sway just how much from individual to individual

about exercise and habits:

1. throughout my withdrawal period, i have been re-experiencing the side effects of respective medication groupings, in roughly reverse chronological order.  this is not necessarily due to layered fat storage, as it might just be general recovery, especially neuronal.  however, after even a short bout of exercise (walking, running, aerobic movements like jumping and such), i would often encounter a radical shift in the severity or nature of my withdrawal symptoms per the side effect profiles mentioned.

i can smell the differences between each antipsychotic in my sweat, as they impact the bodies hormonal balance, and that is a good way to keep track between phases, though most of the side effect profiles were somewhat unique in one way or another, and i can corroborate.  exercising can greatly exacerbate muscle issues like cramping, trembling, and dystonia, and wider issues like lightheadedness, nausea, circulatory difficulty, sexual dysfunction, and other symptoms directly tied to antipsychotic use.  exercise can induce an uptick that other physical and mental stressors do not match.

also, in addition to re-experiencing negative side effects from medications, during the first year or two of withdrawal, i also periodically experienced the highs associated with cannabis use---i had begun smoking a few years before quitting prescription psychotropics in an effort to manage my illnesses like gastro-esophageal reflux disorder and depression (and to better effect than anything else i took).  i was putting on antipsychotic weight from 2005-2011, and was partaking of weed from 2009-2011.  i always believed in people having acid flashbacks/retrips from cracking their back, and people getting a marijuana high years after quitting by losing weight, but it was certainly an interesting experience to be drug-free in every sense but periodically having the sensations of using drugs, positive and negative.

so, i find it interesting that there is a chronological coherence to my symptoms, and that cannabis has also been re-experienced, in that chronological way, also being a fat-soluble medication.  one could again hypothesize that it is my body readjusting to the lack of these things, and that things like the atypical antipsychotic tendency to physically shrink brain volume during usage might impact the order in which i experience recovery, but it is not really any more documented than any other theory.

2. dietary alterations have an immediate inflammatory and/or alleviative result at times.  this is a complicated issue, because one of the traditional side effects of atypical antipsychotics is the radical metabolic change from the body preferring to burn carbs and store fats to the opposite---burning fats and storing carbs.  if withdrawal is an experience of this side effect, in some incarnation, then alleviative experiences might not have anything to do with actual medication coursing through the bloodstream.  it is, as usual, rather interesting that my experiences of relative alleviation could also be explained as offering lipids to lipophilic medications as a means of flushing them out of my system more quickly, but its not really something easy to tell.

i posed to doctors the possibility of my withdrawal symptoms perhaps involving transient side effects from initial dosing, overdosing, and rapid discontinuation problems that psychotropics often give to people (as i have been working through 80 or more pounds of added fat and lean tissue replacement since quitting meds), but they all said it was utterly unthinkable beyond the first month or three.  they had no literature to cite, and these things are usually quite unpopular or illegal to seriously scientifically study, but it does seem potentially farfetched a notion, so im just shooting the **** here to see if anyone has more constructive angles or facts to frame my questions around."

So, melissaw, I don't know if you actually read the stuff you posted but the first PDF is Scientology linked bullshit, and the second post you linked and copied in its entirety is more antimed stuff that doesn't answer the OP's question.

Anyway.  I weigh 220 lbs atm and I take a tiny dose of Abilify* which works really well for my symptoms.  If losing weight meant I would need less, I wouldn't be on the med at all, and I don't think that's how that works.

*one 5 mg pill, split into quarters so that I'm taking 1.25mgs a day

Edited by saveyoursanity
  • Like 1

The PDF is scientology linked bullshit?  Where does it mention "scientology" anywhere in that article? 

The second part where I said FWIW :

"FWIW ... I found this on another board (last post, 2nd page) ... there were no cited reports, but was in part based on personal experience "  I didn't say it was true by any means, and I am aware I copied and cited it. 

The part I felt that might help OP was:

1. antipsychotics are stored in our bodys fat cells, markedly in forms and amounts that can effectively administer a clinically significant dose even after complete discontinuation of the medication

2. antipsychotics also cause an increase in body fat composition, both visceral and subcutaneous, and furthermore start replacing lean tissue with unnaturally fatty tissue even if there is no net size or weight gain from the process --- this intense fat buildup will thus contain some measure of the medication, though individual dispositions (digestive and metabolic, genetic fat-compositional traits, etc) probably greatly sway just how much from individual to individual

and something to look into.  But I know I did cite it and said FWIW.  Other people do copy and cite things on CB.

Edited by melissaw72

Narconon was in a study they were talking about ... not joining a scientology program or religion or cult ... or whatever it is called (I honestly don't know because I have never been involved in it).

Maybe I should have been specific as to what I was referring to in the article that might help >> citation: (http://www.able.org/studies/detox/drug_storage.pdf):

It is not currently known how long drugs and
their metabolites remain stored in fat.
However, current literature detected many
different drugs and their metabolites for up to
six weeks after cessation of drug use. Longer
times have not been evaluated but the
retention patterns indicate the possibility for
even longer storage.
Disposition and probable long-term storage of
drugs and other toxins has a high potential for
long-lasting metabolic alterations with a likely
role in drug reversion issues. Accumulation of
drugs and their metabolites in adipose is likely
to disrupt the endocrine functions of adipose
or may be slowly released resulting in a
myriad of adverse physical and psychological
effects.

My intention was not to say let's go do a Narconon program.  And AFAIK I did not bring up that word anywhere in my post.  It was this (^^ above quote) part that I thought might help.

Because scientology itself (the word) was not even mentioned once about relating to narconon, how is a person to know it is scientology related ... to even look it up ... it was part of the study done.

--------------

Sorry your thread was hijacked TakeAChillPill.

I hope you are able to get an answer to what you asked about.

Edited by melissaw72

Whatever your intent, you need to be aware of what is and isn't Scientology propaganda, even when they hide behind another name. We all fuck up our sources at times, no need to be so defensive, it doesn't strengthen your argument. Now you know, so you can be more careful in the future.

Being that defensive about a valid critique prevents you from learning.

I'm sorry, I never studied Scientology before.  My apologies.

I don't think I would have gotten so defensive if it had been approached a different way.  When someone says:

So, melissaw, I don't know if you actually read the stuff you posted but the first PDF is Scientology linked bullshit, and the second post you linked and copied in its entirety is more antimed stuff that doesn't answer the OP's question.

it gets me on the defensive side.

Anyway, that is all.

Edited by melissaw72