CrazyBoards.org

iphone for dummies

By way of wanting a GPS an Iphoney found it's sneaky way into my life.  My first smartphone.  The thing almost ended up in a pile of dirt in the backyard.
Now we are frenemies.   There are so many stoopid things that drive me crazy and google can't read english. A topic for iphone/smartphone questions.

1. When I am typing a message how do I select a group of text? I can't seem to select it with my finger. I know about the little magnifier.  (edit: I figured this out!!! Little blue handles can be moved around.)

2. Is there ANYWAY to go right or left in the message with the cursor?

3. I know the answer to this but I don't like it: The ONLY way to exit an app is to go back to the menu and double click the button and swipe up?

4. I am worrit that the button gets pushed too much and it will be the first thing to break. This is Phyllis talking, right? (Phyllis is the name of my anxiety)

5. The FUCKING phone does NOT read my finger over FIFTY PERCENT of the time. What am I doing wrong??

6. Is my Calendar backed up somewhere? I use the Iphone Calendar. I have the Icloud on and also Verizon Cloud. But none of these backups mention Calendar. 

7. Do you backup using a cable to your computer? I don't trust clouds.

8. Which MAP/GPS do you like? I have google, the iphone one and WAZE. I want one i can easily just say: drive me here.  All of them are very awkward. Not intuitive. WAZE most of all. BUt I learned about learning curves when this fcking fone came into my life. Giving me directions is the REASON I got this phone. And I still can't find a way to do it easily. I want a someone who tells me to turn off the highway BEFORE the exit appears.  An app that does not require much from me while driving.  I like listening to Serial Podcast. 

thank you thank you thank you. square.gif

Edited by water

Hi Water,

I'm still learning how to not get outsmarted by my smart phone. It's an iphone 5. 

1) so glad you figured it out. It took me a while too! It's not as intuitive for everyone as designers like to think. Not all of us think the same when we see symbols!

2) I haven't found a way to move the cursor left or right other than using the touch screen to put it where you want it, which is probably a problem due to your #5

3) You don't actually have to close apps if you don't want to. They will either time out or shift to the background on their own.

4) If it's really concerning, you could get a device protection plan that would provide an extended warranty for such things. I suspect the likelihood of the button breaking is pretty minimal compared to the device life of the phone. How hard are you pressing that button, anyway?!? :)

5) Hard to say for sure. I have this issue as well, usually when it's exceptionally humid/rainy or when my skin is ridiculously dry and/or when my fingers are cold. I have a similar problem with heart rate monitors built in to the handles of exercise equipment. Rarely will these things read my pulse. Sometimes I have luck if I clean my screen protector both inside and outside.
ETA: Apparently "zombie fingers" is a thing. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/zombie-finger-and-touchscreens/index.htm

;)

6) If you are backing up your phone to your mac, it should automatically synch your calendars between the one on your laptop and the one on your phone. I don't use the calendar on my laptop; just google calendar. You can change your settings on the phone so the phone calendar automatically synchs with the google calendar. I believe this happens automatically when you put in a google email address on your phone that is also attached to a google calendar. Again, I might be wrong.

7) I use airdrop to synch and icloud to synch between my laptop and phone. I don't know if I'm doing it "right" but I don't really use it that much for things that aren't already synching themselves. I suspect the cord-backup can be used if there's ever not a speedy enough wifi connection to my laptop. Since we have dedicated wifi in our apartment that is just me and Mr W, it's never been a problem.

I don't use a cable to back mine up. I think, though, if you have things in the icloud you can also send them to an auto backup hard drive on a scheduled basis. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it is true. 

8) I like google maps for directions. I find it pretty good about giving me enough lead time for highway changes. You can use voice to look up your destination in the regular google search (also an app, don't have to go to safari/web browser). It will then give you the option to call, get directions, or look at the website if it's a business location.

1.  Yay

2.  ?

3.  You can exit an app by pressing the button once, but what you've described is to close it.  However, there's no real need to close it unless it's acting buggy.

4.  It won't, that's just Phyllis.  I promise :)

5.  Weird.  Mine reads mine too easily sometimes.  Is your finger wet/just moisturized?  That stops it from reading correctly.  Maybe try setting the fingerprint again?

6.  I think through the cloud they link, but I am not an expert.  My Mac's Calendar app and my iPhone match though.  I presume it's the cloud, but I am a luddite.  Edit:  I don't back up my phone much and they still match.

7.  Yes, I use a cable every so often.  

8.  I use Google Maps.  It's not perfect, but okay.

Hope that helps :) 

Edited by jarn

I grew up on Apple products (starting in the 80's at school). I have no idea how to use Windows or Android, both confuse me no end. My husband worked as a mac technician and in IT for many years and also grew up on Apple. 

1. When I am typing a message how do I select a group of text? I can't seem to select it with my finger. I know about the little magnifier.  (edit: I figured this out!!! Little blue handles can be moved around.)

Might be repeating but there's no way around it. Double tap the text in the are where you are typing. It will highlight the text and small bars with balls on the end will appear. You then drag either side to pick the area of text you want. It will also give you an option to copy the text.

No. You have to do what I said above.

3. I know the answer to this but I don't like it: The ONLY way to exit an app is to go back to the menu and double click the button and swipe up?

No, but you can quickly double click the menu button while in the app and quit that way without having to go back to the menu.

4. I am worrit that the button gets pushed too much and it will be the first thing to break. This is Phyllis talking, right? (Phyllis is the name of my anxiety)

It's more likely the on and off button at the top of the phone. I've had a 3g and now a 4s. my husband has had iPhones since the first one was released. None of them had any problem aside from the damn on/off buttons. Even then, I got around that with adhesive touch turned on.

5. The FUCKING phone does NOT read my finger over FIFTY PERCENT of the time. What am I doing wrong??

How are you tapping it? It's easier to register if you do it gently. Jabbing or pressing hard as you tap with your finger will cause the phone to not register it. I mean not a feather touch, just a gentle tap.

6. Is my Calendar backed up somewhere? I use the Iphone Calendar. I have the Icloud on and also Verizon Cloud. But none of these backups mention Calendar. 

Do you have a mac computer? Usually it syncs with your regular mac computer. I think you can also sync your calendar to iCloud, but you don't want that so comp is best bet. If you have a window's comp I don't know if it's possible.

Yup, you do this in iTunes when the cable is connected. I don't use the cloud either. 

8. Which MAP/GPS do you like? I have google, the iphone one and WAZE. I want one i can easily just say: drive me here.  All of them are very awkward. Not intuitive. WAZE most of all. BUt I learned about learning curves when this fcking fone came into my life. Giving me directions is the REASON I got this phone. And I still can't find a way to do it easily. I want a someone who tells me to turn off the highway BEFORE the exit appears.  An app that does not require much from me while driving.  I like listening to Serial Podcast. 

Apple maps, which comes wth the phone, is better now. There were huge issues when it came out, but my husband and I use it now with no issue. You can just type the addy into your iPhone and it will dictate instructions to you as you go. Also, if you take a wrong turn, it re-adjusts the route to make it work in a new way.

39 minutes ago, saintalto said:

How are you tapping it? It's easier to register if you do it gently. Jabbing or pressing hard as you tap with your finger will cause the phone to not register it. I mean not a feather touch, just a gentle tap.

It might actually be helpful for Water to confirm what iPhone she has...I assumed she meant the fingerprint unlocking by not reading her finger (5S or higher).  If she has a 5 or earlier though than she might mean something different.

14 minutes ago, jarn said:

It might actually be helpful for Water to confirm what iPhone she has...I assumed she meant the fingerprint unlocking by not reading her finger (5S or higher).  If she has a 5 or earlier though than she might mean something different.

It is an iPhone 5s.
Only $40 upgrade and no increase in my plan.

Will respond to all of these REMARKABLE replies after dealing with my girl and her new beau. Have you heard of sub-texting? 

5 hours ago, Wooster said:

Hi Water,

I'm still learning how to not get outsmarted by my smart phone. It's an iphone 5. 

1) so glad you figured it out. It took me a while too! It's not as intuitive for everyone as designers like to think. Not all of us think the same when we see symbols!

2) I haven't found a way to move the cursor left or right other than using the touch screen to put it where you want it, which is probably a problem due to your #5

3) You don't actually have to close apps if you don't want to. They will either time out or shift to the background on their own.

4) If it's really concerning, you could get a device protection plan that would provide an extended warranty for such things. I suspect the likelihood of the button breaking is pretty minimal compared to the device life of the phone. How hard are you pressing that button, anyway?!? :)

5) Hard to say for sure. I have this issue as well, usually when it's exceptionally humid/rainy or when my skin is ridiculously dry and/or when my fingers are cold. I have a similar problem with heart rate monitors built in to the handles of exercise equipment. Rarely will these things read my pulse. Sometimes I have luck if I clean my screen protector both inside and outside.
ETA: Apparently "zombie fingers" is a thing. 

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/zombie-finger-and-touchscreens/index.htm

;)

6) If you are backing up your phone to your mac, it should automatically synch your calendars between the one on your laptop and the one on your phone. I don't use the calendar on my laptop; just google calendar. You can change your settings on the phone so the phone calendar automatically synchs with the google calendar. I believe this happens automatically when you put in a google email address on your phone that is also attached to a google calendar. Again, I might be wrong.

7) I use airdrop to synch and icloud to synch between my laptop and phone. I don't know if I'm doing it "right" but I don't really use it that much for things that aren't already synching themselves. I suspect the cord-backup can be used if there's ever not a speedy enough wifi connection to my laptop. Since we have dedicated wifi in our apartment that is just me and Mr W, it's never been a problem.

I don't use a cable to back mine up. I think, though, if you have things in the icloud you can also send them to an auto backup hard drive on a scheduled basis. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect it is true. 

8) I like google maps for directions. I find it pretty good about giving me enough lead time for highway changes. You can use voice to look up your destination in the regular google search (also an app, don't have to go to safari/web browser). It will then give you the option to call, get directions, or look at the website if it's a business location.

Thank you Woo!!!!

It's NOT intuitive which I did NOT expect. Thus my complete frustration.  
3. Someone said open apps drain battery life which is short to begin with. whinge.
4.  not even pressing hard. Must be phyllis making this up. :-}
5. oh no! I have zombie fingers. 
6. no laptop. just my imac and me. and now this damned phone.

Google calendar...sigh. I have this THING about not putting my calendar on Google. Never ever kept a calendar on anything but paper until this damned fone arrived.
7. WTF IS airdrop? Been wondering. Easy tool for backing up. Sometimes Apple makes things so easy they are impossible to figure out!!!
8. Thanks!! Google maps, and get the app for Google itself? I don't really use Safari yet on this thing. 

5 hours ago, jarn said:

1.  Yay

2.  ?

3.  You can exit an app by pressing the button once, but what you've described is to close it.  However, there's no real need to close it unless it's acting buggy.

4.  It won't, that's just Phyllis.  I promise :)

5.  Weird.  Mine reads mine too easily sometimes.  Is your finger wet/just moisturized?  That stops it from reading correctly.  Maybe try setting the fingerprint again?

6.  I think through the cloud they link, but I am not an expert.  My Mac's Calendar app and my iPhone match though.  I presume it's the cloud, but I am a luddite.  Edit:  I don't back up my phone much and they still match.

7.  Yes, I use a cable every so often.  

8.  I use Google Maps.  It's not perfect, but okay.

Hope that helps :) 

Thank you Jarn!!

3. Alright. I give in, lol
4. Thank you!! I knew it.
5. Thumb print is good, just not the tips with typing or swiping
6. Never used calendar on my Imac. Not a bad idea. Can still avoid the Google God.
7. ok!!
8. Two votes for Google Maps!!

3 hours ago, saintalto said:

I grew up on Apple products (starting in the 80's at school). I have no idea how to use Windows or Android, both confuse me no end. My husband worked as a mac technician and in IT for many years and also grew up on Apple. 

Might be repeating but there's no way around it. Double tap the text in the are where you are typing. It will highlight the text and small bars with balls on the end will appear. You then drag either side to pick the area of text you want. It will also give you an option to copy the text.

No. You have to do what I said above.

No, but you can quickly double click the menu button while in the app and quit that way without having to go back to the menu.

It's more likely the on and off button at the top of the phone. I've had a 3g and now a 4s. my husband has had iPhones since the first one was released. None of them had any problem aside from the damn on/off buttons. Even then, I got around that with adhesive touch turned on.

Do you have a mac computer? Usually it syncs with your regular mac computer. I think you can also sync your calendar to iCloud, but you don't want that so comp is best bet. If you have a window's comp I don't know if it's possible.

Yup, you do this in iTunes when the cable is connected. I don't use the cloud either. 

Apple maps, which comes wth the phone, is better now. There were huge issues when it came out, but my husband and I use it now with no issue. You can just type the addy into your iPhone and it will dictate instructions to you as you go. Also, if you take a wrong turn, it re-adjusts the route to make it work in a new way.

Thank YOU so much !!  
1. Found the balls!!!
2. ok, will jump on the learning curve....
3. I don't like it either!! So there!! 
4. That is good to know. Why do you turn it off?
5. Yeah, hubs bangs on his phone. I use the gentle touch, over and over and over and over.  Must be my zombie fingers.

Forget to mention this one: I ALWAYS end up hitting the key to the left. Or the right. Or underneath. Grrr....... 

6. Have a mac but haven't synced yet. Need to do a backup. Don't want Apple touching my music library. 
7. Oh, ok. So you also use the Itunes backup. That's good it does the Calendar.  Great!!
8. A vote for Maps! It IS easier to use than Google Maps. 

I also just got an iPhone for GPS and also for something to read while I'm at my endless doctor's appointments. So I've learned a few things here today. Thanks! I just have to say when I was a kid if someone had described a smartphone to me I wouldn't have believed I would have one in my lifetime. I loved science fiction  growing up and when I play with my iPhone I feel like I am in a science fiction story.

Air drop is a bluetooth-based way to transfer files between your laptop/desktop and the phone. I mostly use it for photos so I can stop emailing them to myself, downloading the photo on my laptop, then uploading it here.

3 minutes ago, wadjet said:

I also just got an iPhone for GPS and also for something to read while I'm at my endless doctor's appointments. So I've learned a few things here today. Thanks! I just have to say when I was a kid if someone had described a smartphone to me I wouldn't have believed I would have one in my lifetime. I loved science fiction  growing up and when I play with my iPhone I feel like I am in a science fiction story.

I know what you mean. I never thought I'd be part of the huddled over the phone crew.

3 minutes ago, Wooster said:

Air drop is a bluetooth-based way to transfer files between your laptop/desktop and the phone. I mostly use it for photos so I can stop emailing them to myself, downloading the photo on my laptop, then uploading it here.

Thank you! Been trying to figure out easiest way to send photos/videos from this damned fone to my desktop. My imac has bluetooth....should work.....Airdrop here we come....

44 minutes ago, Wooster said:

Also check your library for digital media.

I can put an app on my phone that lets me check out ebooks and audio books.

Good idea! I finally started downloading to my Imac. No more bulky cd cases, though just as many audio books seemed to be checked out. Don't read ebooks yet. Still stuck on paper.
That is a great thing. I can listen to books on my fone.

Do you listen to audio books while driving on the headset? I don't find it distracting and if I get a call I don't have to use my hands really. It doesn't seem any more dangerous than talking to a friend but IDK. I turn the audio low. 

This is a major advantage over my loyal 'been thru hell and high water' dumb phone. The headset is MUCH better.

Before I broke my car (looking at a bald eagle), I would plug the phone into the stereo.

I caught this on mythbusters about talking on the phone impairing driving as much as alcohol, and just never talk on the phone while I'm driving.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/cell-phone-vs-drunk-driving-minimyth/

In my state it's illegal to talk on the phone without a hands-free way to do it. I can see why you'd like the headset option. I worry about not being able to hear environmental noises like sirens or weird car noises, though.

I have an Android smartphone (that I just got) and an old Android tablet. It's not Apple, but I think I can give you a little insight on a few of your questions. I had an iPod touch a few years ago but somehow lost it.

3. You don't need or want to be closing (killing) apps. The operating system takes care of all that for you. The only time you would want to kill an app is if it is acting strangely. When you kill an app, you cause a disruption that the operating system has to compensate for which in fact uses more power than if the operating system took care of things naturally.

5. The same is true for me and my Android devices. It happens especially when my fingers are cold. It's just the nature of these capacitive screens and is an annoyance to say the least.

6 & 7. I don't trust clouds either. The most popular note system for Android is Evernote and everything you write is synced with the cloud. The last thing I want is my personal details existing somewhere out of my control. I'm still searching for a non-cloud alternative.

Anyway, I think (if I remember my iPod Touch correctly) that things like Calendar can be backed up to your computer through iTunes.

I hope this helps a little. It's as far as I dare to wade in the Apple side of the pool. Shutter (joke).

On 12/21/2015 at 10:41 PM, jt07 said:

I have an Android smartphone (that I just got) and an old Android tablet. It's not Apple, but I think I can give you a little insight on a few of your questions. I had an iPod touch a few years ago but somehow lost it.

3. You don't need or want to be closing (killing) apps. The operating system takes care of all that for you. The only time you would want to kill an app is if it is acting strangely. When you kill an app, you cause a disruption that the operating system has to compensate for which in fact uses more power than if the operating system took care of things naturally.

5. The same is true for me and my Android devices. It happens especially when my fingers are cold. It's just the nature of these capacitive screens and is an annoyance to say the least.

6 & 7. I don't trust clouds either. The most popular note system for Android is Evernote and everything you write is synced with the cloud. The last thing I want is my personal details existing somewhere out of my control. I'm still searching for a non-cloud alternative.

Anyway, I think (if I remember my iPod Touch correctly) that things like Calendar can be backed up to your computer through iTunes.

I hope this helps a little. It's as far as I dare to wade in the Apple side of the pool. Shutter (joke).

Thank you!!

I think last night I discovered my dislike for this phone. It is NOT a phone. It is a computer. My flip phone at least had buttons to call. On this stoopid thing I can get stuck on a screen with no option out. For instance, I call a doctors office, put it on speaker, then on keypad to switch to the right operator, then I cannot hear the person at all and I CANNOT GET BACK TO THE SPEAKER SCREEN TO TURN IT OFF!! The teeny tiny little button you have to push IGNORES ME EVERY FCKING TIME.

This annoys me no end. lol.

btw: I wade in both sides all the time. My background is windows, my training in unix and windows, my current use is apple. So I go back and forth between communities. But I had higher hopes for this iPhoney. sigh...I know we will become better friends. Right now we are still Frenemies.

16 hours ago, saintalto said:

https://support.apple.com/manuals/iphone

Here are manuals for the iPhone. If you have a brand new phone, you'll be on iOS 9. If you have an older phone you'll need to find out if it's running an older version of iOS before you choose your manual.

Thank you!!! This is what I need. A real manual. I do have IOS 9.

Do you upgrade your phone when asked to by apple or do you wait? My computer is still at Mountain Lion by choice, but the cell...perhaps I should upgrade when asked?