CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
BlurredBoundaries

what are the worst gifts?

At the gift exchange in 1st grade i got a pair of socks!

• Like 1

Thank you Cerberus.

I think what you said about taking my brothers aside sounds perfect...except I know I don't think I'd have the guts to do that

Even though I know that would be perfectly reasonable and probably appreciated. I just couldn't do it though.

I would rather smile and pretend I love it. Which will probably deem me a lifetime of getting the same thing the follwing year forever.That's what seems to be happening with a few people who give me gifts.

I would maybe try to return something  though.So maybe next year that's what I'll try to do.Though one of the bath sets I get came from Amazon so she might know if I returned it. Plus shipping might not even make it worth it anyway.

I think I've just come to accept that all gifts pretty much suck!

I just got another terrible one.I don't even want to say what it is cause if the person who gave it to me read this, they would know it was about them.

Let's just say, It is  another completely useless gift,  and I won't be stressing myself out for 3 months  before Christmas next year  anymore, trying to get the perfect gifts for others. 

It's just not worth it cause other won't do the same.

BlurredBoundaries - One way to broach the subject to your brothers in a less direct fashion might be to casually mention that you've had a dreadful skin irritation lately and ask them if they've ever had anything similar. (Hint: Men love to be problem-solvers, figure out causes, fix things.) Casually speculate that you don't know what could be causing it, but for some strange reason you keep noticing the smell of [insert the fragrance of your gift here] when it happens. Let the brothers sleuth out the connection between the gift and the skin irritation. Let them come up with the idea of telling their wives to give you something else. (Note that if they're particularly fatheaded, you may have to keep feeding subtle clues; it is sometimes the way with brothers.) That way, you're neither complaining nor asking for something different, and also giving them the gratification of feeling useful to you.

Or, if this proves simply impossible for you, another tactic might be to find a brand of bath product that doesn't irritate your skin/offend your nose and the next time you're around your SILs, strike up some small-talk like, "Oh, I came across a [insert product] called [product name] the other day that was absolutely fabulous - have you tried it?  I think it's my NEW ALL-TIME FAVORITE." That way, you've just implanted the name of something you can live with in their minds that will resurface when they think "What would she like?" whilst shopping next year. You can use the same trick with any kind of product or consumable; the object is to impart the information on your personal preferences so they don't have to guess randomly and get it wrong every time. If given a choice, I think most people would prefer to vary their gifts from year to year - though I could be wrong - humans are, to me, a very bizarre species of often baffling behavior.

Personally, I would ten times rather take a family member aside to talk about something than try to return something to a stranger at a store, but that's just my own special flavor of crazy.

• Like 1

Thanks again Cerberus! I think I can do the 2nd tactic cause my brothers aren't very communicative.

When I see my SILs I will go on and on about using organic stuff like jojoba oil, castor oil soaps, coconut, shea butter & almond oils because "they don't irritate my skin like all those scented things do"

That's a great idea! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, empty inside said:

i actually put scented candles on my list this year. so i will gladly accept any unwanted candles!!!

I gave it to my mom this year (not as a re-gifted present), just gave it to her if she needed it for something.  Otherwise I'd give it to you :)

• Like 1

I got buttermilk soap, milk chocolate, and gelatin-based gummy candies. I've been (mostly) vegan for the past 9 years. My family knows this, but a few of my relatives still get me things that are very obviously not vegan. :(

I get tons of soaps, shower gels, lotions, and teas every Christmas. I use all of those things, but I always get much more than I could reasonably use. I usually regift the body products (they're usually either high end or all-natural, so they do make nice gifts.) I bring the extra tea to work and share it with my coworkers.

OK I admit to giving this gift. I discovered epilators, devices to rip hair out by the roots. I thought it was a great device so gave one to a friend. For her (not for me), it was terribly painful and she wondered if it was a hint. Bad gift. Never give one as a gift. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I discovered epilators, devices to rip hair out by the roots.

I'm sorry, but I giggled at the idea of receiving such a device of torture as a gift!!! (I would also be left wondering if you thought I was a hairy beast who needed such a device!!)

• Like 1

I have a running competition with my sister for Christmas gag gifts. Only rule is.. No more than $20.

Last year I mailed her a boring looking box. Inside, there was a small box wrapped in 2 rolls of industrial duct tape. Inside that box was an envelope hidden under a roll of unwound plastic wrap that I layered with superglue while wrapping the envelope. 

Inside the envelope was a gift certificate with a face value of 50 cents hand written by the manager of the dollar store in the shopping plaza near where she works. They know each other and had a good laugh when she walked in with it.

She knitted me pink and white pajamas with rainbow toe socks, a flowing tail, and golden unicorn horn. 

We called it a tie. 

• Like 2

Back in my early 20's I had a  boyfriend who gave me two pairs  of stolen  shoes for Christmas one year.  He told me that he had stolen them.:wtf:

16 hours ago, amskray said:

Back in my early 20's I had a  boyfriend who gave me two pairs  of stolen  shoes for Christmas one year.  He told me that he had stolen them.:wtf:

Were they the correct size at least? (Stolen merchandise still definitely qualifies as worst gifts ever; I'm just curious.)

15 hours ago, aquarian said:

Were they the correct size at least?

I never wore them so I don't know. 

15 hours ago, aquarian said:

definitely qualifies as worst gifts ever;

Definitely! That guywas an asshole!

A picture frame where they don't take out the dummy photo, which often includes the price, and replace it with a photo more personal to you.