CrazyBoards.org

has anyone heard of the new brain scans?

Hi

I have been derpressed for too long now.  I try to help myself, but getting up out of bed doesnt appeal to me, i lost the majority of my friends and now i am trying to push my bf away too

i want to know whats wrong with me bc i have tried various drugs

i heard about these brain scans, and if a doc could point out what is wrong with my brain

which i think is little serotonin, bc zoloft worked, but i stopped because it made me manic

if the scans work, has anyone had it done?  or any info?  i need to see it to believe before i take any more meds

i discontinued all of them

because of side effects and wondering if they were working

so i guess i need to know if i have a problem before i start anything again

has anyone had any success?

Hi

I have been derpressed for too long now.  I try to help myself, but getting up out of bed doesnt appeal to me, i lost the majority of my friends and now i am trying to push my bf away too

i want to know whats wrong with me bc i have tried various drugs

i heard about these brain scans, and if a doc could point out what is wrong with my brain

which i think is little serotonin, bc zoloft worked, but i stopped because it made me manic

if the scans work, has anyone had it done?  or any info?  i need to see it to believe before i take any more meds

i discontinued all of them

because of side effects and wondering if they were working

so i guess i need to know if i have a problem before i start anything again

has anyone had any success?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would that be the PET scan?

I'm being suspected of having Lupus or something like it, and the want me to have an MRI of my brain--can't wait to see THAT picture. It will look like phrenology? Is that the right word, you psych majors?

I know they don't often order PETs because of the expense. Rat bastards.

I suspect that it's either the SPECT scan that's done at the AMEN Clinics, or a fMRI. fMRI is a more "accurate" scan, but the AMEN clinics have a good data base for correlation to MI issues.

I did the AMEN Clinic thing and for the first time in my life have a Dx that makes sense. Of course it turns out that I have an organic brain problem, but it still gives me a place to start.

It - and the boards - are the best thing that ever happened to me.

The PET scans also work for mental health issues.  It's different than the fMRI.  My husband has had two to detect the cancer in him.  Then imaging folks told him it could also be used for mental health.

I had the pleasure of attending a lecture by Dr. Amen.  SPECT is very groovy stuff.  I wonder why the fuck we don't hear more about SPECT?  Is it fucking freak science?  Not accepted by the rest of the fucking world?

I had a brain injury - that cause my personality to fucking change into this fucking state of affairs.  SPECT and Amen have worked extensively with brain injury.

i'm not coming down on whether brain scans are good things or bad things -- like, don't take my posting link as going either way, but it's always healthy to have other information in discussion of this stuff.

Article (PDF format!!) titled [url="http://psychrights.org/Articles/GEJacksonMDBrainScanCuriousConsensus.pdf"]A Curious Consensus:

I would suggest that, just for another "another side" that you check out                http://www.amenclinic.com to see what it actually DOES. They are not "predicting" anything nor are they trying to "discern the presence of psychiatric disease".

It's basically just statistical analysis based on patterns seen over time. Certain patterns of activity in the brain (fmri and spect scans measure actual activity) TEND to indicate certain problem areas. You can see a lot of things that are possibly causal for symptoms that a person is showing and potentially target treatment better as a result.

Their analysis of my scans were MUCH more on target than any shrink had come up with (aside from their own based on the scans). It addressed some things that I had not even considered as part of my problems. I'd had them for so long I thought they were "normal".

I haven't read the article you referenced. I'm tired of reading that BS. It's kind of like an article saying that meds don't CURE MI. Well, duh! No one involved ever said they did. Another dumb writer responding to another dumb TV show.

i'm not coming down on whether brain scans are good things or bad things

which is not saying the scans are crap,

I'm possibly going for scans this year. I am going through some of the standard tests

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and when they bury my sorry arse, i will know all the secrets of the universe, both good and bad.

i read that goddamn site (amen, lord) a long time ago. it's just fine. nothing wrong with it. considered going there. i don't know where i stated that there was a problem with it. incredibly promising. it's obvious. someone looking for information may wish to know more than what those making money at treating them are telling them, and what NON-stakeholders think about certain treatments or diagnostic tools. it's not pooping on them, it's finding more about them. like the DSM is a diagnostic tool. this article i posted may NOt be a non-stakeholder. i have no energy to find out. and no energy, beyond this paragraph to talk any further about it.

peace out.

pj

Archived