CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
KateBeckett

Exclusion

My sister usually gets delegated to host a New Year's party every year, but this year, she was fed up with always being the one to do it, so she didn't plan anything.  She is also pregnant and going on a cruise with her husband on January 2nd, so it seemed pointless all around.  My friend invited me over for a taco party on NYE and I asked if she invited my sister.  She said that she figured my sister "would be inviting her own friends to their house and wouldn't want to come."  My friend is VERY passive aggressive and even though my friend and her sister and my sister have all been friends for years, she always excludes my sister.  I don't know what to do though.  I texted my sister to see what she had planned for NYE.  My loyalty will always lie with my sister and I frankly don't want to go to this party if my sister has been so blatantly not included.  My friend takes everything personally and holds grudges for years. I'm not sure how to approach everything.  I've talked to my therapist in the past about my friend and she believes my friend is just so unhappy in her own life that that is why she like this.  Since I have been making great strides toward recovery from depression, I feel like the negativity from her is going to be a continuing problem.  This topic has digressed a bit.  But first of all, what should I do about NYE?

See if your sister wants some company to watch the ball drop on TV instead of going out for some big blow-out at which she can't drink or would likely feel uncomfortable physically due to pregnancy.  Sometimes it can be nice to sit on the floor in front of the TV like kids and eat finger food off the coffee table while watching the numerous New Year's Eve shows together. (It works for my hubby and me since we don't get asked to parties much as it is since we live in the boondocks.)

If your friend decides to take umbrage at this, that speaks volumes about her and not very flatteringly, at that. If she decides to be vengeful and passive-aggressive about it, drop her or put some distance between  you (emotionally speaking). There's no need for that kind of person in your life.