CrazyBoards.org

I want to start taking my meds again but I'm scared

For over a year I've had a paranoid delusion ( well the pdoc, mental health nurses and therapist said it was a paranoid delusion) that the pharmacists were poisoning my meds so I stopped taking them. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti meds not by a long shot but now I'm thinking I need to go back on them as I hate having the constant symptoms but I'm scared to start taking them again because of the poison. I can tell myself that they haven't been poisoned but then I start thinking yes they have and everyone is trying to trick you by saying they aren't because they're in on the conspiracy. It didn't used to be like this. I used to take my meds religiously. This never happened when I was on Zyprexa. I don't think they poisoned those ones only my Risperidone. 

Background:  I thought my meds were poisoned with cocaine/PCP, and because I "had" virtual drug screens (by the "people" who I was in contact with ... hallucinations)  I didn't take them.  Then awhile later for some reason I just didn't care about the drug tests anymore, and that if there were drugs found during the urine test, that would be a reality check for me that the "people" were real and were actually putting drugs in my meds.  So I started taking the meds again and when I had a real life urine test it came out clean.

My point is that I stopped taking meds because I thought drugs were in them, then said fuck it and started taking the meds again to get a reality check that the hallucinations were real.  But taking the meds again and coming out with a clean test proved to me it wasn't real about the drugs being in my meds.  I'm not saying to get a urine test, just saying what happened with me.

I hope this helps some.

It seems like the switch may have been a while back--but do you remember why you were switched from zyprexa to risperdal? Because it seems like if this problem only started with the risperdal, maybe a solution would be to talk to your psychiatrist about going back on the zyprexa that you trust better. Obviously another solution is to give risperdal a chance (maybe say commit to taking it for X days and seeing how you feel/what your thoughts are?). But if zyprexa isn't causing the scary thoughts, would taking it help solve the problem?

I can relate to this so much. Except that usually when I think my meds are poisoned, I also think they contain a kind of mechanism that will kill me if I stop taking them. So taking them poisons me, and stopping taking them poisons me too. It's related to the thought that the medical institution is controlling me. It's such a scary delusion and I'm sorry that you're experiencing it.

Just a thought: if you're afraid of the risperidone, can you ask your doctor to start you on zyprexa again?