CrazyBoards.org

Stopping Obsessive Thought

I have reoccurring issues with obsessive thoughts and even actions.  I am on meds but still get a far amount of break through.

Some might call it OCD but that is not part of my DX.

Examples:  repeated hand movements.   hair behind my ear, touch my nose......over and over and over. I got a new washing machine.  It was not level and I could not sleep thinking about it being crooked, I  could feel it un-level when I was upstairs and even at work.  I had to fix it and couldn't get it out of my head.   I  need some item and will research it days on end convinced it is important and needed and then not so much.  Suicidal looping.  Task looping any thing really that gets stuck and I can't move on.   It is not always, its more on occasion at this point. 

Anyway the reason for this topic: do you have a coping skill or a method to stop the looping.   I may just need a med increase, but I am always interested in learning skills outside of meds. 

Thanks for any replies

I have obsessive ruminating thoughts, and the only thing I know to do is to distract myself.  It doesn't last very long because something will bring the thoughts back to mind, but after I distract myself I have a little "time off" from the thinking.

I'm sorry I dont' have any other advice, and look to others posting anything that could help.

• Like 1

Here are some ideas based on CBT for OCD that I've done in the past:

- Delaying actions: actions to make you feel better about obsessive thoughts can end up reinforcing those thoughts. So you can tell yourself "if I'm still thinking about the washing machine in 15 minutes, I can go fix it." You might end up distracted, and even if you don't, you won't reinforce the thought as strongly.

- Designating discrete periods of time when you are allowed to think an obsessive thought: so you can say, I am going to think about or research some item I want for exactly 10 minutes, and then I have to stop (either entirely, or for a certain period of time). 

I like these two techniques because it's usually not realistic for me to completely prevent the thought or action, but I can do things to weaken the strength of the thoughts and impulses.

• Like 1

I can so relate! I have the same thought obsessions when I'm psychotic. (Not saying it's the same for you). 

It is an all consuming force that takes over my mind. I can't think of anything else and I sit there forever dwelling on how people are out to get me somehow or other things that are negative and don't help me. 

Distraction helps me the most but when fully delusional or paranoid I can't do that. 

• Like 1

On December 30, 2015 at 0:07 PM, aura said:

Here are some ideas based on CBT for OCD that I've done in the past:

- Delaying actions: actions to make you feel better about obsessive thoughts can end up reinforcing those thoughts. So you can tell yourself "if I'm still thinking about the washing machine in 15 minutes, I can go fix it." You might end up distracted, and even if you don't, you won't reinforce the thought as strongly.

- Designating discrete periods of time when you are allowed to think an obsessive thought: so you can say, I am going to think about or research some item I want for exactly 10 minutes, and then I have to stop (either entirely, or for a certain period of time). 

I like these two techniques because it's usually not realistic for me to completely prevent the thought or action, but I can do things to weaken the strength of the thoughts and impulses.

Thank you!   This is what I was looking for.   I like the idea of allowing myself some time for obsession but to try and put a limit on it.  

To be honest if I get in the grips of an obsession it just has to work its way through and I will take whatever action I perceive as needing to be done, done.  

That can be a good thing, or a bad thing.