CrazyBoards.org

Ghost car??

I literally had no idea where to put this at, forum wise. Ok, so this started 2 days ago but it's getting weirder and weirder. Ok, I usually sit in my car while I'm on the phone, in case anyone wonders why I'm sitting in the car without it running. So 2 nights ago, I was sitting in the passenger seat with my door slightly open and I was on the phone. All of a sudden my car doors starting locking and unlocking by itself. It probably did it 20 times. And it's happening again as I write this, but now the alarm is starting to go off when I open the car door to get in, and randomly while I'm sitting inside of it. I'm sure there's probably some kind of mechanical answer for these strange events but it's really freaking me out! Anyone had a ghost car??

On January 2, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Velvet Elvis said:

Most likely electrical shorts of some kind.  Have you driven through any flood waters recently or anything else that could have gotten the electronics wet?

I actually got my door wet when it was raining. But I had the keys with me,so I know it wasn't someone messing with me.

I tend to worry too much, so take it with a grain of salt possibly, but I would have it checked out with a mechanic. What if you were in an accident, and the doors remained locked? My mind drifts toward worst possible scenarios, tho, so...

4 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

I tend to worry too much, so take it with a grain of salt possibly, but I would have it checked out with a mechanic. What if you were in an accident, and the doors remained locked? My mind drifts toward worst possible scenarios, tho, so...

The thing I mostly worry about (besides the ghosts) is if I accidentally leave my keys in my car, and it'll lock it and I won't be able to get in. Plus I only have 1 set of keys to the car. I would hope if (God forbid) I get into an accident and it was bad, that someone would bust the windows out. Of course broken glass is also dangerous. Ugh! This whole situation is just frustrating. And my drivers door will not open. The handle isn't even catching onto anything to open it. That's happened before but eventually opened after some days. And I'm a bigger gal, so climbing over from the passenger side is quite a feat.

It's an electrical problem.

No ghosts I promise! 

My husband's previous vehicle had electrical issues. The doors would lock/unlock when he drove it on their own. Also the radio would turn off/on whenever it felt like it. And the drivers door sometimes wouldn't open. And it was extra fun when the car alarm went off while he was driving. Ugh. 

I agree with VE. We luckily got a good deal on a trade in and are currently leasing a much newer and better vehicle. 

Good luck! I hope the problem is an easy fix. If not, might be time for a new ride! 

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

My husband's previous vehicle had electrical issues. The doors would lock/unlock when he drove it on their own. Also the radio would turn off/on whenever it felt like it. And the drivers door sometimes wouldn't open. And it was extra fun when the car alarm went off while he was driving. Ugh. 

Man, that sounds like an episode from the Twilight Zone. In fact, there was a very similar episode of the original series called "You Drive."

12 hours ago, jt07 said:

Man, that sounds like an episode from the Twilight Zone. In fact, there was a very similar episode of the original series called "You Drive."

Really? Haha! Too funny! Spooky!

But seriously the mechanic and my dad (who had worked with cars too his whole life) both said it was an electrical issue. 

Lol it was always an interesting ride when we drove husband's vehicle!!