CrazyBoards.org

One night of missed sleep = instant setbacks

When I don't get at least 8 hours, I feel like my psychotic symptoms come back very quickly. My paranoia shoots up, I hear voices from objects, and mild visual stuff. Mostly my vision feels staticky, like a t.v tuned out. I also see words written where there couldn't be any.

is there any reason for this? I take 25mg abilify for my psychotic symptoms. Not getting 8 hours every single night isn't always practical... I worry that I will have another full blown relapse if I miss a nights sleep...

I go through the same thing! My sleep has been irregular for a long time, so I feel like I have a lot of "bad" days. The Abilify helps me sleep, but it's not perfect. I wish I had an answer for you, but I'm wondering the same things... I can't just call out of work to catch up on sleep I missed the night before. I have a few sick days left, but I also have pressing deadlines constantly that can make or break my organization. :(

Yeah I understand... I feel like when I don't get enough sleep it is harder to get back on track too mellisaw - like a lot of the time I can't see the point in taking meds if I haven't slept (???)

I'm gonna bring it up with someone when I can... Have any of you guys brought it up with relevant professionals? I don't know what they  could suggest at all but... it might just be good to vent!

14 minutes ago, Kona said:

Yeah I understand... I feel like when I don't get enough sleep it is harder to get back on track too mellisaw - like a lot of the time I can't see the point in taking meds if I haven't slept (???)

I'm gonna bring it up with someone when I can... Have any of you guys brought it up with relevant professionals? I don't know what they  could suggest at all but... it might just be good to vent!

Definitely still take meds even if you haven't slept!  If you stop taking meds, things might spiral down.  When I can't sleep my pdoc gives me a med tweak.

Have you tried asking your pdoc for something to help you sleep, temporarily or not?

1 minute ago, melissaw72 said:

Definitely still take meds even if you haven't slept!  If you stop taking meds, things might spiral down.  When I can't sleep my pdoc gives me a med tweak.

Have you tried asking your pdoc for something to help you sleep, temporarily or not?

I find sleepy meds don't really work for me, I find they make me stay awake? Zolpidem / zopiclone do this, melatonin made my nightmares awful-er (took for one night and threw them across the room in the morning), and I have tried the anti histamine one with little luck. But that might have changed, it;s part of the reason I don't take them because I'm scared of staying awake because of them and then experiencing symptoms.

So to answer your quesiton, I haven't talked about this with my new pdoc yet. It's on my list though.