CrazyBoards.org

Klonopin helps me soooo much but it is for long term?

I love the way I have nothing to worry about on this drug like I could care less what anyone thinks of me because I know I'm a wonderful person just the way I am! it makes me feel content. my doctor said after I get stable he will look into putting me back onto Prozac I was so much happier on that pill but Klonopin just makes me feel really really relaxed I'm taking caffeine pills with 1 mg of it too because ive been hooked on caffeine since I was in my moms belly is it okay to do this?! I need more energy I'm trying to find a new customer service job online on my online message boards. please help why do I feel so damn relaxed with only one mg and 4 caffeine pills same as four cups of coffee according to the box.lol I just feel really hyper but so mellow at the same time.

If you're taking Klonopin, it's likely for anxiety.

Taking caffeine pills at the same time is sort of working at cross purposes, as caffeine usually increases anxiety for people.

Any thoughts about tapering the caffeine pills so you need less Klonopin as well?

Benzos are great for anxiety reduction while we work on skills to help us manage better. They can also be a sensible addition to a toolbox of anxiety management. However, they do nothing to treat the underlying causes of anxiety. Therapy with someone who specializes in treating anxiety really is the key for reducing the causes as well as helping you have more tools besides Klonopin to manage the anxiety.

• Like 1

To answer your original question:

Klonopin helps me soooo much but it is for long term?

Personally for me it is for long term.  I take 0.5 mg in AM, and 0.5 in PM.  I find it helps me, and when I try to go off of it (wean down), I am not myself at all.  Get extra edgy and stuff. 

I think though that is it helpful for some, not helpful for others.  Everyone reacts differently to it.

I think its a drug that (for me) is best to use "As needed for Anxiety and Panic Attacks" and not as a daily thing.  Buspar is worth asking about.  I know its really either great or nothing for people I've communicated here about it but for me its pretty good.

Caffene pills?  I dunno.   I agree that this is a cross purpose thing but I am really a huge fan of a softdrink that has caffene in it and I don't know if it being my favorite (Because of flavour) is the main thing or not.  I "think" its just the flavour?  I have insomnia so I try to avoid drinking anything late *Not that it helps much.

I take Klonopin, and I drink caffeine and take Adderall. I haven't been told not to drink caffeine by a doctor, and I've been on 1 mg Klonopin twice/day and 20 mg Adderall twice/day for a few years. So yeah, for me Klonopin is long term. So is caffeine, lol.

6 hours ago, Wooster said:

If you're taking Klonopin, it's likely for anxiety.

Taking caffeine pills at the same time is sort of working at cross purposes, as caffeine usually increases anxiety for people.

Any thoughts about tapering the caffeine pills so you need less Klonopin as well?

Benzos are great for anxiety reduction while we work on skills to help us manage better. They can also be a sensible addition to a toolbox of anxiety management. However, they do nothing to treat the underlying causes of anxiety. Therapy with someone who specializes in treating anxiety really is the key for reducing the causes as well as helping you have more tools besides Klonopin to manage the anxiety.

I have had a psychiatrist for years who has me on Adderall and Klonopin. I saw a psychologist up until a couple months ago for six hour-long sessions once/week who said she didn't need to see me anymore, that I was coping fine, and she felt good about the cocktail my psychiatrist has me on. I think some people, myself included, are just wired differently and don't respond to therapy- we just need to be medicated.

SweetFunGirl, I would try to reduce the caffeine- in my experience, caffeine pills are like two or three times as strong as a "cup" of coffee. I'm glad you're feeling good now. The floating happy feeling didn't stick around forever for me. I think eventually you adjust to it. Enjoy for now, and remember to drink lots of water. :)

Heil, if you're taking a stimulant, I wouldn't be surprised that caffeine doesn't faze you.

When I worked at a special needs summer camp where something like 90% of the kids were on meds of one type or another, they didn't really care about caffeine in the canteen, even if it was close to bed for exactly that reason (stimulant meds).

• Like 1

I do better with taking meds on a schedule than prn. I just feel so anxious, I am not sure when not to take. 

I took klonopin for over a year. It would have been longer but I was hospitalized and they switched up my meds. I didn't feel the way you describe, but. I took it at night. I slept well and had less anxiety.

i have heard caffeine isn't good for anxiety, but I need some coffee in the morning or I won't wake up. I have no idea about the effect of the caffeine pills.

Edited by confused

For me, klonopin is a long term med. I have been on 3 mg in the past and currently on 1.5 total daily. So no, not everyone develops a tolerance and needs higher and higher dosages as the years pass. And I've never abused them either and never plan to.

I don't use it prn. I take it every day as prescribed. I am a mess without it. Can't drive or leave the house. 

while IP this summer they tried to take me off it cold turkey. Those dr's are of the mindset "all benzo's are evil bad super wrong meds and NO ONE should ever take them ever!!!!" They take everyone off benzo's at that certain hospital. Never going there again.

Well at least when I got out I had the opportunity to get right back on it. Some dr's are so bad. 

I hope that you find a dose that works well for you if you are going to take it long term. Good luck!

I've had it while IP to calm down from manic psychosis. It helped a lot but I had it frequently , like every 6 hours and on a prn basis too.

The longest I had it for was for 2 weeks. It's addictive according to most of the psychiatrists I had in the past so I wouldn't want it long term. It made me have memory problems also while on it so I have mixed views. It is the strongest benzo after all

I'm no expert so my prn comments are just my fear that some of the Doctors and patients going ape might be right.  My experience with them being more addictive then whatever is that I'm either immune or the blanket statements about evil benzos needs to be put into a less black and white format.  I am very glad I have them available.  When I get into the perfect storm of crap I have some major anxiety issues that make things pretty bad.  I am a little bit afraid of them as my GDoc reads studies and freaks me out and we talk about things and somehow we both chill out and I don't have to ponder panic attacks or nuclear anxiety meltdown (I like that term I just made up!)  and having no defense.  I do think the experts ought to do some real science instead of broadcasting "todays stupid idea" type things about "Is coffee good for you?"  Today - no.   Tomorrow  - Best thing you can do.   Drinking?  Moderation = great.   Tomorrow it will be different or they will say things like ignoring prostate cancer  is now a great option!  I include myself in the statement that there are too many morons with an internet connection...

51 minutes ago, StJimmy9151 said:

I've had it while IP to calm down from manic psychosis. It helped a lot but I had it frequently , like every 6 hours and on a prn basis too.

The longest I had it for was for 2 weeks. It's addictive according to most of the psychiatrists I had in the past so I wouldn't want it long term. It made me have memory problems also while on it so I have mixed views. It is the strongest benzo after all

For me I am dependent, and not addicted to klonopin (and xanax).  I don't build a tolerance and I don't abuse using the med).  Currently on 0.5 mg 2x/day, and have been at that dose for a long time (years).

FWIW (and Idk if it will help, but it helps me understand better dependency vs addiction):

http://www.naabt.org/addiction_physical-dependence.cfm

28 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

For me I am dependent, and not addicted to klonopin (and xanax).  I don't build a tolerance and I don't abuse using the med).  Currently on 0.5 mg 2x/day, and have been at that dose for a long time (years).

FWIW (and Idk if it will help, but it helps me understand better dependency vs addiction):

http://www.naabt.org/addiction_physical-dependence.cfm

I think here in the UK, doctors have a different opinion. Part of me wishes I lived in the US. In the UK they never really give benzos anymore unless you're IP. If you are out in the community they will never do that. 

3 minutes ago, StJimmy9151 said:

I think here in the UK, doctors have a different opinion. Part of me wishes I lived in the US. In the UK they never really give benzos anymore unless you're IP. If you are out in the community they will never do that. 

That sucks that people in the UK aren't given benzos except when IP.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

That sucks that people in the UK aren't given benzos except when IP.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Yep - you're lucky if you're given one or two when you're really having a bad time outside of IP, no more than that.

I told my doctor I thought I was going to stab someone because of the voice in my head and she gave me a Lorazepam (just one) and told me to go and lie down at home. That's what we're dealing with there. (Glad I'm in the US now)

14 hours ago, Hester said:

Yep - you're lucky if you're given one or two when you're really having a bad time outside of IP, no more than that.

I told my doctor I thought I was going to stab someone because of the voice in my head and she gave me a Lorazepam (just one) and told me to go and lie down at home. That's what we're dealing with there. (Glad I'm in the US now)

its even more shocking that the only times I've had benzos while I was an outpatient was when I was with CAMHS (Children & Adolescent team) ...oh the irony

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy
  • Like 1

My pdoc gave it to me to help with a stubborn mania. I have been taking it for over 2years and he says nothing about stopping it.

occasionally I stop taking it for several days just to see if I am dependent but I would be ok. I don't recommend doing that?

• 2 months later...

For me, i keep being told by doctors that clonz are meant to be taken short-term and never long-term, however they keep prescribing them to me 2mg a day, and whenever I ask to get rid of them altogether, they say no, keep taking them. So I am confused on this subject as well. I don't tell this to them, however I take them PRN because I don't want to build up a severe tolerance to them. I already have to take more than 2 a day if I want any relief from anxiety. I have terrible anxiety, where it makes me nearly barf. So I try not to take mine daily like they want me to. Shhh.

• Like 1

I miss those days... now I take a mild benzo and it just fulfill my benzo withdrawal.

If I could give you an advice, just watch out because the way you described it sounds like me in a romantic relationship with a drug.

I'll translate my last conversation about this matter:

Me: So, you know what I feel about taking benzos, I'm almost a decade on and off it, I abused it for almost two years in a row and in the past I eventually binge used it. But I don't do it anymore but I still don't like the idea of taking it, I don't feel the urge to take it but I know if I stopped taking, would take just some weeks for me to just go batshit crazy, so I know I'm dependent and tolerant.

PDOC: It's not like you're abusing it, so for the type of problem you have it's better for you to be chemically dependent on a small dosage of it as you're are for example, lamortigine, if you stop taking lamotrigine you'll go withdrawal and there's possibility of both giving you seizures and the list goes on...

Me: I'm not saying that I crave taking it, I'm just dependent and tolerant, the problem of being dependent and tolerant t is that it doesn't bring relief besides fulfilling a withdrawal, it's not like lamotrigine that instead of building a tolerance you had to cut down, I'm not saying eventually I'll not built up a tolerance on lamotrigine, but with benzos it's just too fast.

PDOC: Well, thinking about now, you need taking it, the dependence of this low dosage is a little problem compared to your case, it's not like you suffered from one panic attack and you can follow the standard procedure of four weeks counting the discontinuation, you have something chronic, this dependence in the big picture isn't that bad.

Euphemism for you're a drug addict.

This concept of being necessary dependent to a drug is what made me stop taking all kind of psychiatric drugs at one point, I had two more episodes and was more precisely diagnosed, so maybe the PDOC is right, unfortunately for the options there are out now, since buspar makes my blood pressure drop and gives me a lot of dizziness and chest discomfort, Maybe it's better for me having to take a benzo than suffer an episode, besides, I would take any day to be controlled by benzos than going to dopamine blockers, I'm very sensitive to most of AP and AAP there are around and I'm doing everything that I can just to take if things go out of hand.

On January 2, 2016 at 2:22 PM, SweetFunGirl82 said:

I love the way I have nothing to worry about on this drug like I could care less what anyone thinks of me because I know I'm a wonderful person just the way I am! it makes me feel content. my doctor said after I get stable he will look into putting me back onto Prozac I was so much happier on that pill but Klonopin just makes me feel really really relaxed I'm taking caffeine pills with 1 mg of it too because ive been hooked on caffeine since I was in my moms belly is it okay to do this?! I need more energy I'm trying to find a new customer service job online on my online message boards. please help why do I feel so damn relaxed with only one mg and 4 caffeine pills same as four cups of coffee according to the box.lol I just feel really hyper but so mellow at the same time.

I do the same thing. I'm on a pretty high dose of Klonopin and very addicted to caffeine, so I take caffeine pills throughout the day too. My only problem is taking the caffeine pills without Klonopin. Sends me into anxiety overload. Other than that, seems to work fine for me.