CrazyBoards.org

Vegans/vegetarians and yeast?

I was reminded of an old co-worker of mine over the holiday break who was very strictly vegan.

He refused to eat any kind of yeast bread and such because the process of baking/cooking it killed the yeast organisms. I'm just wondering if any other vegan and/or vegetarians do this?

I don't. I'm way too fond of bread. And I draw the line for 'killing' things somewhere around micro-organisms (I have no sympathy for the flu virus for example).

Fiona

Perhaps this seems hypocritical of me to some (usually those who see veganism as crazy in itself), but I think fruitarians have crossed a line and need to be saved from themselves.  Insisting upon the right to life of microorganisms seems similarly overzealous.  I refuse to eat anything produced by or from anything which once had a heartbeat.  Meat, egg, milk, etc are gone.  Yeast?  Oh dear.

I've been a vegeterian for eight years now, and I never thought of yeast as a problem. Not even during my vegan time. I don't care about microorganisms. Period.

And for the record, I LOVE yeast. I can eat it like candy.

basically, it shows a real ignorance as to what constitutes life.  We ingest plants (also life) and fungi (also also life) and protists (also also also life).  For a vegan to single out out yeast (Saccharomyces ceravisiae, kingdom fungi) as an organism he doesn't want to kill while ingesting specimens from kingdom plantae (ingestion implies death to the ingested organism) is silly.  For the record, a fruitarian is a whole foodist who relies mainly on uncooked fruits as their source of food.  Okay whatever, if you ask me.  But if people go one step further and declare that an apple has feelings too, that's outright fucking crazy and ignorant.  Time for a lesson on the food chain. 

I was reminded of an old co-worker of mine over the holiday break who was very strictly vegan.

He refused to eat any kind of yeast bread and such because the process of baking/cooking it killed the yeast organisms. I'm just wondering if any other vegan and/or vegetarians do this?

um.

this is actually intensley stupid from a nutritional standpoint.

vegans HAVE TO eat nutritional yeast EVERY DAY to get all their B vitamins and some other things.  a good vegan sprinkles the stuff on popcorn, mixes it with vegan mayo on sandwiches, puts it on EVERYTHING.  (and the stuff, imho, tastes grody... so doing all this is quite a feat and part of why i never made it as a vegan. it's supposed to taste like cheese, and maybe if i tried hard enough it would...)

i'm quite good friends with a (now ex) vegan.  and she wouldn't eat honey because it "enslaved" the bees, but man did she eat that yeast.

i hope your friend has stopped eating this way, because it can cause some mega health problems.

besides, yeast is a fungus like mushrooms, not an animal.

people are so argh sometimes.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry, but yeast? 

That's just dumb. Your intestinal flora are more complicated lifeforms and you kill millions of those each time you take a dump.

chuck: Let him go a few days without eating and then give him a hot dog. He'll eat it.

I don't know wtf a "holistic allergist" is but it sounds like a con artist.  Try a nutritionist or someone with a degree from an accredited institution.

I agree.  If he starves himself take him to the hospital and put him on an IV.  At his age nutrition is more important than at just about any other phase in his life.  He's getting ready to hit a growth spurt, if he hasn't already.  Poor nutrition now could effect his health for the rest of his life.

look at MacDonalds lying all the time about milk being in their french fries

that really burned his bottom

There's MILK in FRENCH FRIES??? What?  I remember they were on the list of Bad Foods I wasn't allowed to eat until through my progression from deathly allergic (to everything) to mildly allergic (to fewer things) to merely lactose intolerant to normalish, but I'm still kinda... dude. 

isn't there, like, bacteria on everything?

I'm vegan... no meat, eggs, dairy, honey.  hmmm... killing yeast during baking? If you start obsessing at that level, you'll worry bout stepping on dust mites, and your immune system doing its job, and you'd have to put up with crabs or scabies if you get them... eeew

• 1 year later...

following the original topic, i've been some form of vegetarian (either vegan or vegetarian) for over 10 years now, and i don't have a yeast problem of any kind. i never even thought of such a thing!

as for the fries at mcdonald's, i've heard about that, but this is how i feel, and other veggies, feel free to disagree-

i've got to make life worth liveable. i can't avoid everything, like softserve ice cream, because it has some little banned ingredient. so the heck what. my life is 99.9% vegetarian. and for vegetarians, consuming dairy is far worse for animals than eating a little beef powder. consider what is better/worse for your cause.

so i eat mcd's fries. and i ate them when i was vegan. i'm going to vegetarian hell i'm sure, but damn, i love some fries here and there! i have no religious reasons to avoid beef, only ethical ones, so some beef powder once or twice a month isn't going to crush my spirit or kill millions of cows.

Hey,

Was there not another reason why be wanted to kill yeast organisms, I'm a vegetarian, and recently been also put on a candida diet, which cuts out yeasts therefor killing organism that cause candida?

I know this may be different, but only reason I would have cut out so much stuff. I'm finding it absolutely hell, cause i'm on a diet for GERD aswell.

And as a final year dietetics student, I completely agree that its going to have serious nutritional implications if not done properly. And its almost impossible to do it properly, without supplementation or a strict nutritional plan.

there are so many different types of vegetarians, lacto, ovo.... I don't think there is a rule. I'm sure you can eat mcdonalds fries and ie-cream and still fit into a group!! Eat what you want, just be happy!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeast I have no problem with. Things like gelatin, white sugar, and some alcohols I just pretend have nothing to do with animals. Then there are the cheeses that have rennet... I also pretend really hard that I don't know that. I almost cried when my doctor suggested I try an elimination diet, I still haven't gotten around to it because I can't seem to give up dairy. I love cheese, I want cheese right this second and am now making myself sad.

the beauty part of getting old is that one becomes a real efficient metabolizer of chow. i gotta be ferociously hungry to eat american fare. grains, greens and fish off the dock keeps the pump and pipes in good order. fucking head is another matter-feed your head, feed your head-thanks for that one grace.

ain't been in a fast food joint in 30odd years-ain't missing anything. my son is converting a trashy diesel truck to run on that nasty deepfry oil. the eejit is a chip off the old block and then some.

Archived