CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Anonymous1492

Can people recognize symptoms of psychosis in themselves?

My pdoc calls my "delusions* the " book of (my name)". I don't recognize it as a delusion. However, I do recognize delusions thoughts lilemy parents are spyin on me or there are cameras in the smoke detector. 

• Like 1

I recognize that the voices and sounds I hear are hallucinations. As far as I know, I have not had delusions. 

I don't have insight and don't think I'm psychotic at the time. I tend to only push my delusions on people close to me, though, so maybe that indicates some insight. I tried very hard to convince my fiancee that my religious delusions were real and that she should have faith in me. 

On 15/02/2016 at 7:41 PM, Darkplace said:

Whenever I questioned my psychosis I just created another delusion to explain and validate the main delusion.

Basically. "I cant have cancer for 10 years untreated right?" "i must have a really good immune system thats putting up a good fight"

Your really just saying one thing, and then agreeing with it right after. If you want to put an end to the cycle, just disagree.

On 25/02/2016 at 5:54 AM, Cherryarc said:

Your really just saying one thing, and then agreeing with it right after. If you want to put an end to the cycle, just disagree.

I couldn't comprehend any other explanation. It was a mental and physical deterioration I was experiencing and it seems I was investing my sanity in it being correct.

After being so scared I was close to dying, I finally told my Mum, and then the doctor opened my eyes....I made the decision that I couldn't trust my thoughts, so I lived with massive doubts about everything for about 3 years, like crazy fears about everything, I'm going to forget my name, where I live, how to do things etc, accompanied by horrible feelings of dread, paranoia, mistrust, confusion in everyday situations. When I went gluten free things got better, but I guess I was hoping for complete normality and that won't happen as I've been cognitively damaged.

Early symptoms of psycosis for me is a bit of paranoia and distrust in someone or in some situation or group of people etc. I can now recognize these thoughts and either rationalize it away (fight) or if that does not work remove myself from the situation. (flight). Also anything unreal like inner voices and invisible things is early sign of madness lurking. Also anger, confusion and little sleep are early signs of a psycosis state is lurking. Get lots of sleep and stay focused on the positive things avoid things very stressful, unreal and too difficult. Take your time, set realistic goals, go slow. Take medz if you have to. If you are in the full fledge paranoid state I think it is not very likely to have insight. The brain is then no longer in a rational state and rest + medz is perhaps the only cure to get well.

Edited by Beemray

4 hours ago, Beemray said:

Early symptoms of psycosis for me is a bit of paranoia and distrust in someone or in some situation or group of people etc. I can now recognize these thoughts and either rationalize it away (fight) or if that does not work remove myself from the situation. (flight). Also anything unreal like inner voices and invisible things is early sign of madness lurking. Also anger, confusion and little sleep are early signs of a psycosis state is lurking. Get lots of sleep and stay focused on the positive things avoid things very stressful, unreal and too difficult. Take your time, set realistic goals, go slow. Take medz if you have to. If you are in the full fledge paranoid state I think it is not very likely to have insight. The brain is then no longer in a rational state and rest + medz is perhaps the only cure to get well.

I agree (in bold), and just wanted to add that stress can also play a roll in becoming delusional and having hallucinations, at least with me it does. 

You mean like jumping up and down and screaming at the top of your lungs. Not usually. The nature of it for me is far to intense to come out of at the moment.

psy·cho·sis
noun: psychosis; plural noun: psychoses
  1. a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.
Thus if you are in touch with reality, it is then that you do not encounter psychosis. Thus if you are in touch with reality, then you know what reality is, since you are in touch with it.  Thus in turn you know of the complete mechanics of reality. Thus Einstein's theory of Special Relativity along with Quantum Mechanics, are no challenge for you at all since you have surpassed both of them. However, if you are not in touch with reality, and therefore you know not of reality in the complete sense, then you must resort to "Global Conformity", or at least practice "Local Conformity". Once doing so, you will now be regarded as being a "One of us", thus it will be said that you are not experiencing a psychosis, even though you truly are.

Thus if you don't know how to create reality, then obviously you are not in touch with reality.

So the question becomes ---

Can people recognize symptoms of less than Global or Local psychosis, in themselves?

Based on studies given, people will accept almost absolutely insane behavior, and thus are willing to place themselves enormous distances from being in touch with reality, as long as that it ensures that they will be "accepted" within society. As an example of peoples willingness to practice insane behavior to maintain a general ongoing social acceptance, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment , or watch the movie, "Experimenter".

Now if you were able to travel way into the past, and then told people that man can fly, that four wheeled machines (cars) can transport you at extreme velocities across the country, that man can reach the moon, that people talk to each other anywhere anytime via cell phones, they would instantly think of you as being a 100% delusional lunatic.

Therefore, if you are way ahead of the current global conformal interpretation of what being in touch with reality is, thus you are way much much more in touch with reality than the rest of mankind, you will be regarded as being a 100% delusional lunatic, all due to you seeing NOT what everyone else sees. That is how crazy the world is. The most sane ever, will currently be regarded as being possibly the most insane ever.

Edited by YouThinkSo

On 1/5/2016 at 5:00 PM, Anonymous1492 said:

This is something I've been curious about for a while and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  What I want to know is if people can recognize the symptoms of a psychosis in themselves, if they are oblivious to it, or if it can go either way depending on the person.

Thank you for your time.

For me I am almost always aware that I'm having hallucinations. But I always wish I wasn't because I think if all of these damn voices are actually in my head I must be f'd up. And why the hell am I seeing these things if they aren't real? Then I will convince myself that people are following and listening to me and making me hear and see these things and everyone can see them I'm not hallucinating no way. When I come out of my psychotic episode I feel really stupid...

4 hours ago, CherriePie said:

When I come out of my psychotic episode I feel really stupid...

This is a good point.  I don't even want to remember what I did in the past based on the hallucinations, delusions, and voices.  It is so embarrassing, to think of things that I did, and the people involved who were in those delusions/hallucinations who had no idea what was going on.

I know it's called psychosis but for me it's something that belongs to another reality, It's not a lie.

The magic and things come from behind everyone reality, but they only come to me, so I can see them, hear them, and feel them but other people don't because they are not in contact with things that live behind reality.

Edited by Bixo

50 minutes ago, Bixo said:

The magic and things come from behind everyone reality, but they only come to me, so I can see them, hear them, and feel them but other people don't because they are not in contact with things that live behind reality.

I never thought of putting it that way.  I could never figure out how I could see them, hear them, feel them, and everything else, but no one else could do it.  I just thought it was because only certain people could do these things, and that it was a virtual world that not many (except the virtual reality people and all) people could be in.

Sorry for the break in the conversation OP started. 

Back to the topic at hand ...

Highly doubt it, unless the symptoms are relatively subtle.  Although it was different than being schizophrenic obviously, there was one occasion when a drunken bender I went on that put me in a state of temporary delirium.  Luckily, it cleared up after I woke up in the morning and I stopped drinking.  During the time, I was saying and doing truly bizarre things and generally acting like an absolute maniac that was very different from ordinary drunkenness.  However, to me, I had no idea anything was out of the ordinary in the least.  To me, it was just an ordinary night with all this messed up stuff going on, complete with delusions of grandeur and superhuman powers.  However, I didn't really even know it was messed up stuff, it was just the way it was........ and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why people were saying I had "gone nuts" as everything just seemed normal to me, I barely even "felt drunk".  Then, the next day, I was just dumbfounded.  It also wasn't really stressful to me at the time, because I thought all the scary, bizarre things I thought were going to happen was just everyday business as usual.  Now, during this, I had no idea anything was amiss despite being a psychology/sociology college major at the time.  However, for other people it was clear as day that I was "acting all crazy".  Other than my family (and possibly the bartender), I don't think that anyone really saw my bizarre behavior or heard the strange things I was saying.  However, I've been told that I was complaining about someone that kept calling me....... yet my phone screen remained black and there was nobody calling me at all.  Luckily, it cleared up completely after sobering up, but it was a truly strange experience that really gave me a new perspective on life.  It's crazy how I had no idea anything was off, despite having extensive knowledge of these sorts of neurological issues from getting straight As in my college courses on these sorts of things.  Also, it was very strange that it never happened again, despite continuing to drink just as heavily some other times after that.  Although, I have no firsthand knowledge of non-alcohol induced breaks from reality, as that's luckily not something I've experienced.  It's possible that for someone that doesn't have the confusion of a substance being in their system, they are able to question the delusions on some level....... but I doubt it, as I think that's relatively uncommon and wouldn't really be psychosis so much as a state of paranoia/grandiosity. 

• Like 1

On 5. januar 2016 at 0:34 PM, melissaw72 said:

Being on meds I can recognize psychotic symptoms better than when I wasn't on them.  It is hard to get them to go away when they happen, but for me I do have some insight to things as long as I am on meds.

Me too.. Some months ago I got really paranoid and had to check with like 3 other people. After a while I calmed down and realized the stuff I believed was not the case. Normally I realize things are delusions after a few seconds, worst case, minutes – with meds. 

Edited by hannaostepop

I've received conflicting information on this, so I have no idea, really. 

I always have insight when things are going "haywire"in my mind, as in I know that things are going haywire and that's a problem with my mind/brain. This has always allowed me to mostly hide my symptoms, it's the anxiety and resulting sleep-deprivation that eventually does me in. 

My psychiatrist tries to convince me that it's still psychosis, and that some people (which she thinks includes me) retain insight even while psychotic. 

Then many other sources I read say that's a load of BS and that psychosis by its very definition includes loss of insight. 

So I guess it depends on which professional you ask. 

I had no idea what was happening while i was experiencing psychosis. My hallucinations and delusions were extremely real to me. I had no idea until a couple weeks after being released from the ward.

• Like 1

At times in the past, I have lacked insight into my psychosis, but these days I definitely have insight; I can be quite paranoid yet know that none of it is real. Insight, though, does not stop me from acting on my delusions, and this is part of what tells me that I am actually being crazy.

I have heard varying opinions from my pdoc and tdoc - in reference to my most last two episodes* my pdoc unambiguously used psychosis to refer to them, and my tdoc said I was experiencing as delusions with regard to my most recent episode*, but at the same time in my previous episode* my tdoc had underplayed it saying that paranoia did not really count of I had insight into it, even though she was still concerned because I was acting on it.

* Technically they are part of the same continuous period of psychosis, as I have been hallucinating all this while, but these have been mostly separate periods of being delusional.

On March 30, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Darkplace said:

I couldn't comprehend any other explanation. It was a mental and physical deterioration I was experiencing and it seems I was investing my sanity in it being correct.

After being so scared I was close to dying, I finally told my Mum, and then the doctor opened my eyes....I made the decision that I couldn't trust my thoughts, so I lived with massive doubts about everything for about 3 years, like crazy fears about everything, I'm going to forget my name, where I live, how to do things etc, accompanied by horrible feelings of dread, paranoia, mistrust, confusion in everyday situations. When I went gluten free things got better, but I guess I was hoping for complete normality and that won't happen as I've been cognitively damaged.

Your not cognitively damaged. Your reason is damaged. And now you have to do everything using will. We should all be looking to get back to who we were in our youth, the happiness we had but with mature adult awareness. I too went through the same process. I still haven't figured out why or what happened but I believe it's some sort of cleansing process. Now we are left on our own like a wild animal with no skills. And Re learn all over again. Our old system was that of the judge and the victim. Always blaming ourselves. You are not your thoughts.

I can feel it coming on... then I kinda black it out.. I lost 4 months to a psychotic episode when I was away at college. Can't remember anything except for being there, then being IP back home. I don't remember going to college, my roommates, or coming home, packing my dorm... It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced, when I look back at it. And it scared the fuck out of my family and friends.

I don't really black out much anymore, I get this terrible feeling and need to isolate myself, have to be alone, and it is so fucking real and I know after that it was not real but during, it is really real and I believe it. Often I believe it after.. but insight and years of treatment and antipsychotics have stopped that.

It's hard to explain. It is so real when it happens.