CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
enzo

Short term dexedrine withdrawal; solutions (specifically, meds?)

My insurance pooped out and it's going to be another day or so before I can fill my dexedrine prescription. I'm entirely out. In the past, when I've tried to take a break, I've experienced crushing depression, even after a day. I've read it can start after 12 hours, and I took my last dose around noon today. Hopefully will be able to pick up more tomorrow afternoon, but I'm worried that I will go way down and not even be able to leave the house to get to the pharmacy (agoraphobia/depression).

So I've taken the advice I've read online: tyrosine every two hours, continuation of clonazepam, and magnesium/b/c. 

Wondering if I can (or should) combine it with one of the other many drugs I have around the house that I've previously taken:

• Topamax (saw clinical study showing that has been shown effective in preventing relapse in meth addicts)
  • Olanzapine
  • Cymbalta/duloxetine (saw some doctors prescribe for this purpose)
  • An increase of the celexa I currently take
  • Trazadone (again, saw that is recommended)

Does anyone know whether this would be advisable, on a very short-term basis, given the other meds I take (hopefully included in my signature).

Would really appreciate any help to head off crippling depression tomorrow (or even longer, depending on how long my damn insurance company takes to get it together).

Thanks.

I wouldn't mess around with any meds without first checking with my pdoc if I were you. You know that you will be getting your meds in a day or two, so while depression is horrible, you do have light at the end of the tunnel.

Can you not pay out-of-pocket for your dex or is it that expensive? If you could pay for the dex, you could get the prescription filled right away.

Thanks; you're probably right. I was thinking about trying the topamax since it isn't (to the best of my knowledge) a serotonin upper where I might risk the dread syndrome. 

I could pay out of pocket, but I've done that before (pre-auth was a mess), and if I do, I need to have another WRITTEN script for a whole new batch. And I don't drive, my doctor is about two hours away by bus... I was hoping one day would work with the tyrosine, etc.

What do you think about just a bit of topamax?

None of us here are doctors, and we can not tell you what medications you can take or mix with your cocktail. Even if we were doctors, is not safe for anyone to give you medication suggestions over the internet without your current providers acknowledgment or his agreement.

Asking for insight on a medication, and asking for suggestions to pull out of your old stash, is not the same thing. We care about your health, and this is not safe.

Have you talked to your doctor about this issue over phone or email? Some doctors have med samples and are willing supply them in these kind of circumstances. Also, you can call your pharmacist and ask for suggestions, advice, and alternatives. Pharmacists actually know more about medications than your prescribing doctor, and is an excellent resource for concerns and questions like this.

• Like 1

Some doctors will mail their prescriptions to their patient if they're farther away/don't have adequate transportation. I've had scripts for patients arrive at my pharmacy from the doctor via mail. Depending on where you live, some states have allowed electronic prescribing of controlled medications. I would suggest calling your doctor and see what options you have available to you.