CrazyBoards.org

Zyprexa sucks

Just wanted to say happy new year everyone!!

OK, here we go...

I started Zyprexa yesterday. It worked amazingly for my anxiety, and I don't know if I should attribute that to the placebo effect or not. (Never underestimate the power of placebo!) But today I feel like a total zombie, I have no feelings whatsoever. Nothing bores me or excites me. Having ADHD, I usually need stimulation ALL THE TIME. Whereas now I'm perfectly content staring into a white wall. I think I'd rather be depressed than feeling like this. I feel so numb.

Maybe this is how "normal" people feel all the time? I mean I'm famous for my temper, but then again that is part of my personality. I don't wanna lose my personality, no matter how flawed it is. Oh, and I'm slow and tired and can't think straight. The only good thing is that it really shuts up my mind.

So here's the question:

I'm looking for a potent antipsychotic that is NOT sedating, weight neutral and will still let me be me. I've been doing som googling, but none of them seems to fit my needs. Risperdal seems like an option. Any other ideas? I'm not really scared of the typicals, so feel free to suggest them too. I already take Fluanxol, which is working but just not all the way.

Oh yeah, maybe I should include my symptoms:

Hypomanias, psychotic manias with hallucinations, anxiety, depression, ADHD, borderline-ish issues with abandonment.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. My pdoc is clueless on what to do, while I'm sinking deeper and deeper into a depression. She actually listens to me when I come with suggestionns. I don't really get along with antidepressants, so that's not an option.

PS. I'm gonna double post this in the BP forum and in the Atypical forum, because I really do need replies. If any moderater minds, just delete one of them.

I'm looking for a potent antipsychotic that is NOT sedating, weight neutral and will still let me be me. I've been doing som googling, but none of them seems to fit my needs. Risperdal seems like an option. Any other ideas? I'm not really scared of the typicals, so feel free to suggest them too. I already take Fluanxol, which is working but just not all the way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really have any advice on which antipsychotic would work better as far as fitting the requirements that you want.  Sorry.  I can tell you that Zyprexa probably isn't the best one if you're looking for something NOT sedating and that is weight neutral.  Zyprexa is notorious for associated weight gain and sedation.  Although as an antipsychotic, it kicks ass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Helena, you're taking too much. Lower the dose.

Just wanted to say happy new year everyone!!

OK, here we go...

I started Zyprexa yesterday. It worked amazingly for my anxiety, and I don't know if I should attribute that to the placebo effect or not. (Never underestimate the power of placebo!) But today I feel like a total zombie, I have no feelings whatsoever. Nothing bores me or excites me. Having ADHD, I usually need stimulation ALL THE TIME. Whereas now I'm perfectly content staring into a white wall. I think I'd rather be depressed than feeling like this. I feel so numb.

Maybe this is how "normal" people feel all the time? I mean I'm famous for my temper, but then again that is part of my personality. I don't wanna lose my personality, no matter how flawed it is. Oh, and I'm slow and tired and can't think straight. The only good thing is that it really shuts up my mind.

So here's the question:

Oh yeah, maybe I should include my symptoms:

Hypomanias, psychotic manias with hallucinations, anxiety, depression, ADHD, borderline-ish issues with abandonment.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome. My pdoc is clueless on what to do, while I'm sinking deeper and deeper into a depression. She actually listens to me when I come with suggestionns. I don't really get along with antidepressants, so that's not an option.

PS. I'm gonna double post this in the BP forum and in the Atypical forum, because I really do need replies. If any moderater minds, just delete one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 3 years later...
Guest Guest

@Groovyone:

Leave it to the doctor?

To be told what to do ,caused the intake of this nasty Olanzapine in the first place..

@Dweii:

Quit intake

Life is a gift

There is always something to be fond of...un replacable with Placebo's ;)

A deus

Guest Guest_Vincent_*

Hello,

I was on zyprexa for 3 weeks, didn't screw with my emotions so much but I did gain 20 pounds. The next APP I tried was Geodon. on that I lost 20 pounds. The first day I took Geodon was fine but the next morning I felt like I'd woken from a coma and then hit by a truck. I spent the whole day in bed skipping meals and classes. After these two experiences I refuse to take anymore antipsychotics. I'd rather be manic and be paranoid than have that happen to me.

Vince

-Bipolar NOS, a few other things, and just plain crazy

Dunno if my 2 cents are worth much, I've been talking Z for about one week. VERY low dose first 5mg for two days then 2.5 mg for 7 days. I've been taking it before bedtime, sleep well through the night. BUT during the day I feel hyper, charged up and a bit edgy. A bit agro.

Anyone get like this on Z? Dunno if it's just my nuts-o brain or med-induced hypo.

Thoughts?

I know the dose is low, but I'm extremely sensitive to most meds, so this is what I get. This is only a trial- I already FEEL fatter.

Oh and the other annoyance, I am drinking to bring me down

:/

Ls

I've taken zyprexa on and off (and currently on for the past four months) for the past 9 months or so. I've been on doses anywhere from 5 mg (what I take now) to 20 mg. I feel this medicine is a lifesaver to me. I don't feel any more dulled, depersonalized, desensitized, wired up, or sedated than I have on any of my other meds. I have not had an increased appetite, in fact, I am continuing to lose weight, something I started to do while I was off zyprexa. The weight loss has slowed since I've been on the Z, but it is still occuring. The only weird thing about being on zyprexa is I crave bacon. I didn't eat it for 15 years, and now I want a bacon sandwich every day, lol.

When I was having a problem with daytime sedation, I had a choice: quit geodon or quit zyprexa. I quit the geodon, becuase the zyprexa does a better job of handling my mania, whereas the geodon doesn't really touch it. It's been a week since I reduced the geodon, and I'm feeling much more alert and need to sleep much less.

It's just my opinion, and I'm just one person, but I wanted a positive opinion out there for this drug which can be invaluable to those for whom no other medication works.

It's funny how everything is so personal when it comes to meds. I tried Zyprexa...and my goodness! It gave me the hangover from HELL the next day (or at least that's what it felt like). It made me feel slow and stupid. I'm going to be trying trifluoperazine soon (as and when I need it) and see how I get on with that.

Zyprexa made me crave carbs like they were going out of fashion...it was horrific! I'd finish a mouthful of potato chips and then want a bag of fish and chip shop chips followed by a muffin and a Danish pastry (sometimes all together!). It was a nightmare!

Here's hoping the other one and I get along better.

On the plus side, the Zyprexa DID stamp on the mania good and proper. So it did its job, I guess. I just wish it hadn't made me feel so rotten, and turn me into an eating machine in the process! ;)

Edited for stupidity - including grammar and bad spelling, oh and it not making any sense!

Archived