CrazyBoards.org

Alternative therapies, exercise?

I have tried almost every antidepressant but the side effects always make me go off of them--mostly horrible weight gain and sexual side effects.  I'm starting to think I should pursue more natural options.  Are there specific natural therapies/books/web sites you'd recommend?  I have tried fish oil and I think it helps, but only so much and I also tend to get bruises on my legs when I take a lot of it.

One thing I'm going to try is aerobic exercise as a mood booster.  I actually enjoy exercise, although I'm very lazy about making the time to fit it into my day.  But if it might boost my mood and cut the anxiety, I suppose it's worth joining the gym.

Hey guys,

I have tried just about all of the SSRIs.  Only Celexa/Lexapro ever worked.  Almost all of them have made me gain weight and/or had cognitive or sexual side effects.  Let's see, I've tried Wellbutrin, Effexor, Paxil, Prozac, etc...just about all of them

I was also once on a tiny dose of risperdal (I blew up like a balloon even on half the smallest dose available!).  I've also tried Neurontin, Ritalin, and that newer ADD medication.  I also very briefly tried a tricyclic but couldn't deal with the dry mouth. 

I'm on a small dose of Celexa (which totally annhiliates my libido) with trazadone as needed for sleep and an occasional dose of a benzo for anxiety.

I think my diagnosis is depression.  I don't have any more details than that.  I also have anxiety, but my doctor feels it's a side effect of the depression.  I also happen to feel that I am very moody.  One day I'm down and the next day I'm feeling a little better.  I'm very reactive to events in my life, I guess, and I don't respond well to stress.

i am aware of mindfullness, but really struggle with it because my willpower seems so low.

so celexa nukes the libido eh? hmm, i must give that a try.

my fave was remeron cos it turned me into a frenzied snack monster. i was told that it would increase my appetite (i recall jerod's description as being something like 'you'll be spooning sugar from the sugar bowl) but i felt i could handle the urges to snack.

ha. ha. ha.

i was like a pot-head carb maniac turned loose in a chip factory.

oh, plus it made me suicidal.

in the end i have found extra-cranial impaction to be fairly effective at times.

grouse.

I'm going to the pdoc tomorrow to present my new plan. My idea is to slice and dice my anxiety and possibly disorganized thoughts, and get rid of the SSRI Paxil.

1. Exercise like a fool

2. Be the diet police

3. Take my supplements

4. Get off of Zyprexa and go on LI, get off of Paxil and go on WB

5. Meditate more

I'm really at the point where I've been on an SSRI for so long that I don't know what I will be like without one. WB isn't an SSRI and could hopefully help me lose that f'ing weight I gained from Paxil and ZYPREXA.

Zyprexa- Paxil- saviors and evil substances

--------loon---------

Devon,

I'm working on finding the title of a book for you...

Until then, do you take omega 3s?

they help me A LOT

i thought they were hooey until i stopped taking them for a month.

my favorites are the high EPA formula by Nordic Naturals (avail at most health food stores) and Omegabrite which is mail order

I'll get back to you with that book

Heya Loon,

Well, not on Zyprexa, but the oher 4 seem like part of my regimen as per Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide and my psychiatrist:

1. Exercise like a fool

2. Be the diet police

3. Take my supplements

5. Meditate more

Supplements for me = folate and fish oil.

No meditation, but lots of CBT and anger management homework instead.

---

i am aware of mindfullness, but really struggle with it because my willpower in the end i have found extra-cranial impaction to be fairly effective at times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha.

Took me a minute.

Boot to the head.

Might work for me too, I'll chat with DH.

--ncc--

Devon,

I found the name of that book... I haven't read it but my step mom says it's awesome.  The Dr who wrote it originally started out by studying people with sub abuse problems and working with them to fix their diets and give them supplemets to reduce their cravings.  Along the way, she realized that most people with substance abuse issues have underlying mood disorders. 

I'm not saying that what she has to offer will FIX you... but if you think about it, what you eat can really mess with your mood.  For instance eating a whole bunch of sugar and then crashing and feeling like shit afterwards.

I'd say the book is at least worth looking at in a store.  And my step mom is usually good with her book reccomendations.

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross, MD

and i second all the reccomendations for exercise.

take care

penny

Archived