CrazyBoards.org

We're giving you two weeks

Mom pretty much yelled at me first thing today that if I don't 'change' in two weeks she's admiting me to the hospital.  She's bipolar.  I at least expect her to understand a LITTLE that two weeks might as well be two minutes to me.

But anyways, I'm an adult (20 y/o) in the US; WV to be exact.  Can she admit me for being a snotty BP brat that sleeps all day and has panic attacks because of accidental missed doses of medication?

She pretty much told me she hsa no sympathy for me (because I 'refuse' to change, which I don't, I'm just afraid and don't know how) and that I have to help myself.  I've been TRYINGGGGGG!!!  It's not my fault my meds make me sleep all day (which I have tappered down, and yet I still sleep all day).  Why don't YOU try taking the meds I take.

btw she thinks all you guys I talk to are just sending bad messages to me and are putting dxes into my head and making me crazier/paranoid.

There's more, but I was really listening to a lot of it because she was pretty much preaching to the choir again.

Mom pretty much yelled at me first thing today that if I don't 'change' in two weeks she's admiting me to the hospital.  She's bipolar.  I at least expect her to understand a LITTLE that two weeks might as well be two minutes to me.

But anyways, I'm an adult (20 y/o) in the US; WV to be exact.  Can she admit me for being a snotty BP brat that sleeps all day and has panic attacks because of accidental missed doses of medication?

She pretty much told me she hsa no sympathy for me (because I 'refuse' to change, which I don't, I'm just afraid and don't know how) and that I have to help myself.  I've been TRYINGGGGGG!!!  It's not my fault my meds make me sleep all day (which I have tappered down, and yet I still sleep all day).  Why don't YOU try taking the meds I take.

btw she thinks all you guys I talk to are just sending bad messages to me and are putting dxes into my head and making me crazier/paranoid.

There's more, but I was really listening to a lot of it because she was pretty much preaching to the choir again.

Sounds like our Moms are twins separated at birth. Just think "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you."

Bitches. Sorry, I speak for my mom. Bitch, and not the good kind like me, either.

grrrr!

Hugs,

Suze

Min:

I don't know what to tell you, sweetie. I suspect someone with more knowledge, legal and otherwise, will come along and have something to say here.

One thing I'm wondering: For your own sake (not mom's) is there some way you can assure that you don't accidentally miss doses of your meds? Do you have an alarm on your watch, or just an alarm clock, that you could set? I know there are thingies you can buy that will alert you to when you need to take your next pill, but we need to solve the problem for you now.

Doing this might be a good first step, both for your sake and for attemping to smooth things over in the mom department. What can you do to assure that you take your meds when you need to? Remember this is for your own health and well-being.

Best,

revlow

Min:

I don't know what to tell you, sweetie. I suspect someone with more knowledge, legal and otherwise, will come along and have something to say here.

One thing I'm wondering: For your own sake (not mom's) is there some way you can assure that you don't accidentally miss doses of your meds? Do you have an alarm on your watch, or just an alarm clock, that you could set? I know there are thingies you can buy that will alert you to when you need to take your next pill, but we need to solve the problem for you now.

Doing this might be a good first step, both for your sake and for attemping to smooth things over in the mom department. What can you do to assure that you take your meds when you need to? Remember this is for your own health and well-being.

Best,

revlow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the reasonm i missed my meds is because she let me sleep for 24 hours.  said she tried to wake me up but i have no recollection of it.

she told me today it's not her job to wake me up (as i'm an adult, though i don't feel like i'm one).

i don't respond to alarms, so if she wants to bitch and moan about me not being able to wake up she's gonna have to deal with me being like this.

the reasonm i missed my meds is because she let me sleep for 24 hours.  said she tried to wake me up but i have no recollection of it.

she told me today it's not her job to wake me up (as i'm an adult, though i don't feel like i'm one).

i don't respond to alarms, so if she wants to bitch and moan about me not being able to wake up she's gonna have to deal with me being like this.

Min, I know you're going through a really rough time right now. But, from my perspective as the mom of an 18 yr. old, in this instance, your mom is right. You are an adult and it is your responsibility to take your meds on time. If you don't respond to alarms then you have to figure out a better way to wake yourself up. Like setting more than one alarm far enough out of arm's reach to make you have to physically get out of bed to turn them off.

Hon, In my (unasked for) opinion, it's not that your mom has no sympathy for you, it's that she's scared for you. And fear makes moms mean and fierce. She is trying to wean you from dependence on her to dependence on yourself. It's her job to help you be self-reliant on your own.

I'm sorry to be so harsh here, but if you really can't get yourself up to take your meds on time, then maybe you need to be hospitalized so that you can get your medications straightened out enough that you can handle basic adult responsibilities. It sucks. But in a way your mom is giving you fair warning that you have to learn to do this stuff on your own or life will get a whole lot worse than it is right now.

I'm sorry. I really am. Adulthood is cold, hard and unforgiving. There comes a point when only you can make it liveable and worth the effort.

Greeny

ive tried the alarm clock across the room thing.  i just sleep right thru it. or in a half sleep state get up turn it off, and go back to sleep.

i have sleep apnea, which is why i have a hard time waking up anyways.  forgot to mention that.

I think your Mom is doing you a favor by expecting you to take your meds on your own.  Otherwise, she's treating you like an incapable child, and you're not one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would most certainly take them by myself if i were awake.  she doesnt get that when she lets me sleep all day/night (i literally CANNOT wake up unless someone forcefully makes me get up) that i won't be getting those meds.

i hate sleep apnea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you wake up if your cell phone rings (assuming you have one?)  My daughter's cell phone can be programmed with alarms.  Just another idea. 

As for your meds, how long have you been on your current cocktail?  Do you see a pdoc or GP for your meds?  I thought Effexor was a no-no for bi-polars.  It sounds like your meds aren't right, imo.

i would most certainly take them by myself if i were awake.  she doesnt get that when she lets me sleep all day/night (i literally CANNOT wake up unless someone forcefully makes me get up) that i won't be getting those meds.

i hate sleep apnea.

So, then, you'll never be able to live independently.  What a drag.

a bipap is just a cpap with oxygen (i have chronic respiratory problems, so i desat at night).  it basically just breathes for me so when i stop breathing...i er don't.  lol.

right now i can't wake up on my own because of the damn geodon or whatever meds i'm on.  i didn't used to be like this.

i'm on klonopin, which is what my mom takes for RLS, but i'm rxed it for panic disorder so i dunno.  sometimes it wakes me up, you know, to change positions.  soemtimes my legs will just ache and i can't get comfortable.

the effexor has been good to me and i've been on it for a couple years, but right now i'm really scared to go off it, cause of the withdrawl.  i would like to sometime when i get more stable.

i set my alarm on my cellphone!  i even have it play 'another brick in the wall' and it still doesnt wake me up, or i just turn it off!  i swear i'm cursed to sleep the rest of my life.  i need a med that will both help me sleep AND help me wake up.  god dammit i just have too many problems and so many of them conflict with each other >_<

did i miss anything??

There are meds out there that can help with day time sleepiness [i'm on Provigial] the downside of that being to have to wake up to take them. [i kind of know how that is, my mom has to wake me up to shove meds down my throat and go back to sleep at 8 if they expect me to wake up before noon. I dunno what I'm going to do when school starts] 

Maybe you need to sit down with your mom and have a reasonable adult discussion. Explain to her that you need to get with your doc and change your meds, which takes time, but that in the mean time you can't wake up by your self. Try to get her to understand that it's not your fault and it's not that you're lazy, it's that the damn pills make you sleep and that's that! Of course that has to change, but probably not in two weeks.

On a side note- maybe the hospital wont be such a bad thing. In my experiance that seems like the best way to get your meds streight, and you don't usually have to stay in that long. The usual policy at a mental hospital/ward seems to be to get you in, stabilized, and back out again as fast as possible. *gives a cheezy grin and two thumbs up* I went from suicidily depressed to great in only two weeks *wink, chime sound*

Heh, seriously though my two week stay in the local mental hospital was the best thing i ever did for my self, even if it was the most boreing two weeks of my life.

I hope I helped some. If nothing else you're in my thoughts and prayers.

i think the hospital may help, but i dont want to be comitted AGAINST MY WILL.  that will just make me angry and non compliant.

i will go when i'm ready.

an adult discussion with my mom.  hahaha.  everytime i try to talk to her about my 'illness' we end up fighting.

Archived