CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Talky Tina

Psychs who cancel and bring uninvited guests

I had a psych appointment on Wednesday. She canceled on me an hour before.

I haven't met with her yet. I haven't seen a psych since November. My general practitioner thinks it's important that I see a psych soon.

I was so agitated. But real life stuff happens. And psychs are people who have real lives. I was offered an appointment next week with her resident and I'd meet with the psych an hour after speaking with this stranger I've never met before.

I told the scheduler I'm not going to meet with a resident. I'm apprehensive about meeting with a psychiatrist to begin with and I'm not willing to have a student in the meeting. She scheduled me a month later with that note.

I got a call about an hour ago telling me that she will not meet with me without a student observing. I of course said that's ridiculous and I won't go. Fuck that. I wrote my general practitioner a letter saying that if I am not able to meet with my practitioners in private I won't go.

I guess I have the option of not going. But... It's taken me a great while to be in a place where I'll meet with a psychiatrist. And to give me that ultimatum. It feels decidedly not patient first. I'm scared of going to see a psychiatrist. I'm scared to do a lot of things. But I was finally willing. I feel like I've been pushed back miles. I mean... What a..

I see the value in education. I've had interns sit in with my therapist. I've had residents look at my body alongside my doctor. But to not be given an option. At our first appointment! Our first appointment. It's fucked the fuck up.

God damn sane people.

That is really upsetting, particularly after the first appointment was cancelled after you were all geared up for it.  Usually there are enough patients who ARE ok with seeing a resident that it's not a big deal if some people refuse, especially in an outpatient area.  I'm surprised that they were so insensitive to your concerns.

Perhaps you could discuss this with your GP and see what they recommend?  Or maybe your GP could even call this psychiatrist and advocate for you.

I've had a doctor request that I meet with a student sitting in (nursing student or a resident) but it's something that can be refused by me without being penalised or rescheduled to another date.

I don't know the legality of this where you are, it could be vastly different for different countries, but in the two countries I've lived this has never been an issue for me beyond being asked and then given a choice of turning it down or not.

I am sorry to hear this is an issue. I think from this point I would get in wth the GP, discuss what happened and find out why it happened. They would probably be able to inform you on what you can and can't do about it and perhaps refer you onto someone else. The GP should be able to slate you in much sooner than a month away, too. 

My experience mirrors saintalto's. It was always put to me as a request that I could refuse, but I've never had a doctor insist upon it. That would tick me off too even though I usually don't refuse because I figure that the more minds I have working my case, the better. But not being given the option and being given an ultimatum ... well, no. That does not make for a very good doctor-patient rapport in my book.

Absolutely. I've gone ahead and sent a message to my General Practitioner and am awaiting a response. I was flabbergasted so I didn't really have much to say.

I just... I'm so.. *grits teeth* what the hell.

It's shitty.  Seeing a new psychiatrist is a super vulnerable position already and I think it's really not okay for them to leave you in a position that feels even more powerless and vulnerable.

13 hours ago, real-dreamer said:

I had a psych appointment on Wednesday. She canceled on me an hour before.

I haven't met with her yet. I haven't seen a psych since November. My general practitioner thinks it's important that I see a psych soon.

I was so agitated. But real life stuff happens. And psychs are people who have real lives. I was offered an appointment next week with her resident and I'd meet with the psych an hour after speaking with this stranger I've never met before.

I told the scheduler I'm not going to meet with a resident. I'm apprehensive about meeting with a psychiatrist to begin with and I'm not willing to have a student in the meeting. She scheduled me a month later with that note.

Where you given a reason why she cancelled? 

I agree with you on not wanting to see a resident.  I had a resident once but as a social worker ... and she listened, but after 3-4 appts, she said she was referring me out (this took place in college) to someone else off campus because the counseling resource center said that they couldn't handle my needs.  But ... the reason I didn't like her was that she didn't really know what to say back to me when I'd talk to her.  Maybe she didn't have enough training?  Idk, but end result was that I was sourced out to someone off campus.

got a call about an hour ago telling me that she will not meet with me without a student observing.

I thought a resident is the student working under a DR?

I see the value in education. I've had interns sit in with my therapist. I've had residents look at my body alongside my doctor. But to not be given an option. At our first appointment! Our first appointment. It's fucked the fuck up.

You should always be able to have the choice of someone alongside your DR seeing/observing you for you to say no.

That has never happened to me ... I am always given the choice.  Has to do with HIPAA I think (actually I'm not sure of that, but it was about confidentiality in one way or another).