Same here, this is my second time around, and I absolutely do believe that it pulled me from a very stubborn deep depression. Very grateful for that. I did have a hypo manic episode a couple of months back, but perhaps it kept it from being a full blown manic episode? Don't know, and we added 400mg seroquel, that pretty much squashed it. Still love lithium, won't be giving it up.

Lithium pulled me out of a depressive state. It seemed to be pretty clear it was working, because I was having a mixed episode at the time, and I had been bouncing around between manic and depressed. And then I was suddenly at baseline. I did need Zyprexa to knock out the manic states while I was titrating up on lithium, but not after I hit the therapeutic dose. Everyone remarked on how much better I was, so that's another reason why I think it was working.

But about 45 days later, I spiraled into a severe depressive epsiode. That went on for a year, and we gave up on lithium halfway through that, switching to Abilify instead. I think the reason for that was because I had a mania pop up out of nowhere while I was in the middle of a sea of depression, and I needed to take Zyprexa again to quash that. So I guess my pdoc felt that it wasn't controlling my moods well enough and that was that. 

I suppose it depends on your goal?

My pdoc's express purpose for rx-ing lithium was to curb my suicidal thoughts. I was/am already on other mood stabilizers. 

Maybe the question with your pdoc needs to be about what you think the lithium IS doing, and do you want to handle that and the rest of the mood stuff with another med, or just add another med to the cocktail?

Caveat: I'm not bipolar (treatment resistent depression) and I'm not quite stable (though getting there) and my pdoc wants me off at least lamictal, if not also abilify. We're just doing it slowly.

Lithium got me out of an awful mixed episode within two weeks of starting it. Nothing else was working. But since then I've have three serious episodes of mania and depression while compliant with taking lithium. Hospital pdoc recently told me that some people just need more than one agent working with lithium, sometimes more than two agents. I have my fingers cross that this is true for me, but time will tell.