CrazyBoards.org

Weight Watchers and similar programs?

I'm determined to at least get in better shape and lose a few pounds (about 30 or so) if possible this year.

Anyone tried Weight Watchers? Or one of the online programs like iShape? Something else?

I'm not going to starve myself, exercise to the exclusion of everything else, buy special food, or take any kind of "diet aid" or "supplement" or whatever.

Experiences?

Fiona

i love weight watchers.

i was actually talking to a friend about it today...

a few years ago i was about 20 overweight and i asked my then gp what was a good diet and he said they were healthy and sensible.

i went and signed up... never went to meetings (hey it's cheaper that way... though the meetings do help a lot of people) and lost the weight and kept it off.  it's really good at teaching you how much of what you should eat.  and it's easy.  and, when in doubt, they have frozen meals at the super market.

two friends of mine did weight watchers this past year, one lost 30, the other lost 50.  (in many months both, of course.)

i am a super supporter of weight watchers as a sensible, easy, healthy way to loose weight.

let me know if you decide to try it and if you like it.

best,

penny

Fitday is good for watching what you eat.  It's free and it tells you how many calories you've eaten, and shows in a pie chart what percentage of what you ate during the day is protein, fat, carbs, and alcohol.  In addition to that, Calorie King lists the nutrition info for a lot of foods, including fast food.

I've been using Fitday, Slim Fast, and Lean Cuisine type meals.  I've lost 20lbs.  Every little bit helps.

i love weight watchers.

i was actually talking to a friend about it today...

a few years ago i was about 20 overweight and i asked my then gp what was a good diet and he said they were healthy and sensible.

i went and signed up... never went to meetings (hey it's cheaper that way... though the meetings do help a lot of people) and lost the weight and kept it off.  it's really good at teaching you how much of what you should eat.  and it's easy.  and, when in doubt, they have frozen meals at the super market.

two friends of mine did weight watchers this past year, one lost 30, the other lost 50.  (in many months both, of course.)

i am a super supporter of weight watchers as a sensible, easy, healthy way to loose weight.

let me know if you decide to try it and if you like it.

best,

penny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean that you signed up but never went to meetings?  I've never been, but I thought it was all meetings.  What helped you if it wasn't meetings?  And why is it cheaper?  My doctor recommended WW to me.... still don't have the nerve to go.

I am currently using the weight watchers online program.  I've lost 15 lbs so far, and I love it.  The "Points" program is very do-able, and being able to keep track of everything online suits my analytical and computer oriented personality.  Once you learn how the whole thing works, there's virtually nothing you "can't have".  It's not really about dieting, it's about learning how to eat more healthy, within your lifestyle.

I am committed to shedding the pounds that seroquel, and my inattentiveness have put on me. 

No more diabetes medicine, and no more cholesterol medicine are my goals.  I've already reduced my blood pressure.

My doctor is thrilled!

What do you mean that you signed up but never went to meetings?  I've never been, but I thought it was all meetings.  What helped you if it wasn't meetings?  And why is it cheaper?  My doctor recommended WW to me.... still don't have the nerve to go.

libby,

depending upon when you sign up there are different deals.  when i signed up it was "free to join, $17 per meeting."  so, i went to one meeting, got all of the supplies, and never returned.  in the supplies are a little slider to show you how to count points, and a book of how many points are what, and a guide to how to use the point system/ how many points a day/etc.

for me, i just needed to get the materials for the point system, and i followed it on my own. 

but, i'm sure that this plan was potentially a really bad idea as the meetings can be really helpful.  they're kinda a combo of nutrition/diet training and group therapy.  (with a weigh in at the end, and i've had friends say that the weekly weigh in really helped them stay on program.)

but... well, i'm not really an in-person-people-person... and group meetings would have freaked me out too much at the time.  i assume this is why there is now an internet option.  man, the internet rocks for social phobes...

so, i hope that rambling explantaion explained things.  i didn't make it to the pharmacy today so i didn't have my adderall and i think maybe i shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard when i'm like this... things end up with a lot of dot dot dots....

take care

penny

I am currently using the weight watchers online program. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now here, from you and Penny, is good news! I know I can't sit around in any kind of group meeting to talk about, or listen to someone else talk about, weight and food for long. It's too much of a trigger right now, and the group of strangers thing is largely beyond my comfort zone/ability as well. (Hmmm, any wonder I'm here rather than in a "in-person" group?)

I'm going to go looking for the online version.

Fiona

I have never tried this yet; however I am planning on starting WW after the baby is born! They have a special program for New Mothers (basically you get more points LOL) I have heard a lot of rave reviews about them. I like that you can still eat out on the Points program- I have two kids so the weekly Happy meal is a hallowed family tradition around here <groan>

I saw on their website that they have an "at home" program that includes all the materials you need and a year's subscription to their magazine. It's around a hundred bucks, so Penny's way is a lot cheaper if you want to skip the meetings and weekly weigh-ins. I thought this is what I would try- how perfect for those agoraphobic days  :) Plus I like that for a few more bucks, you can get a nifty Points calculator that can figure out the Points value of ANYTHING by entering the nutritional info! Huzzah for overpriced gadgets! (I noticed you can't purchase those separately on their website, BUT naturally you can find them on ebay if you're interested!)

I am pretty excited about giving it a try. I am hoping this is something I can stick with for the long haul. In the very least, I need to be healthy for my kids...it's terrible to break into a sweat every time you have to chase one down!  ;)

~Faith

Here's an added plus for the online program.  Check with your insurance provider.  My insurance provider (CareFirst BlueCrossBlueShield) has a wellness type program that offers a discount on a 3 month membership to the WW online program.  It works out to about 45$ instead of $60 or something to that effect.  Every little bit helps, yanno?  There was a link directly from the insurance company website to the WW website, which triggered the discount.  It's also much cheaper to do the 3 month than month by month.  Good luck!

I have joined WW but that isn't when I lost weight-- I lost a good amount of weight (25 pounds in 2001, gained all plus more back, then lost 35 pounds in 2004) just by doing my own "version" of the points thing.  Basically 50 calories equals a point, though the formula technically isn't that "easy", for me it worked.  I ate between 18 and 30 points each day (trying to average around 25 for the week) and the weight came off both times within 3-4 months.  I've been able to "maintain" a weight loss of around 25 pounds since then, but I haven't had the willpower to get back into the points thing.  If I did I would probably lose weight.  But I am an emotional eater so for me, if not for my emotions, I think I'd be one of those people who wouldn't have problems with weight.  My metabolism isn't screwy, my head is... So for some people this might not work. 

I am pretty excited about giving it a try. I am hoping this is something I can stick with for the long haul. In the very least, I need to be healthy for my kids...it's terrible to break into a sweat every time you have to chase one down!  ;)

~Faith

it stuck with me for a long time.  after a while you start to memorize the number of points something is, and it starts to become a habit to not eat too much of a high point food when you know you could go eat a lot more of a lower point food.

i did WW over 2 years ago.  muffins are 9 points (or were.)  i have still yet to eat a muffin again.  i always thing "wouldn't PIZZA be better than a silly muffin? and they're the same points!" hehe.

so, yeah... i think it's something that actually can stick with you because it's so easy to do, and so easy to start to memorize how many points common foods are...

Dottie's Weight Loss Zone also rocks for restaurant points, recipes, inspiration, etc...

www.dwlz.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I LUV that site! Great place to go for good lowfat/low calorie recipes. And there is a HUGE restaurant directory that lists points on tons of dishes at certain restaurants.

One thing I will comment about WW's-- it made me 100 times more obsessive than I already am about loosing weight. Constantly, it was on my mind- "how many points are in this?" and "I cant eat that because I have...8 points left and that is...10 points or whatever." Points, points, points! It's all I thought about. Basic principle about loosing weight is intake to output- you'll loose weight no matter what if you cut calories and exercise more. WW's works for some and doesnt work for others.

Good luck!

Archived