CrazyBoards.org

I wanted to self harm but instead I...

We had a huge thread of a few years of "today I wanted to self harm but instead I did this" so people could get a list of safe ideas to help manage self harm urges.

for example...

today I wanted to self harm but instead I watched videos of baby sloths and golden retriever puppies and chatted with a friend on line

• Like 3
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a huge thread of a few years of "today I wanted to self harm but instead I did this" so people could get a list of safe ideas to help manage self harm urges. for

instead I did some crochet, texted with a friend, did laundry, took a bath, had dinner I wish I could say these things helped.  It feels like I'm just delaying the inevitable.  But I tell myself

sat with the fucking urge. i hate this shit. but i know it'll pass.

Adding back some of my old ideas:

today I wanted to self harm... instead I,

went for a walk. took a painting class. called my mom and talked about what made me feel upset. ate something healthy. went for a bike ride/hike/drive. jumped in the ocean. Used "delay, distract, decide" to see if I still wanted to SI a time period later. thought up drills for my martial arts classes. got my "rush" breaking boards in a seminar class instead. learned how to use a new computer skill. made a new recipe. took a nap instead.

• Like 1

I like the idea for this thread! Very positive.

I'm new here & I don't know if my self-harming behavior is more of an OCD symptom or what, but unfortunately I engaged in the behavior tonight  :/

Some things that have worked in the past are talking about it with people I trust & snapping a hair tie or bracelet on my wrist. I may also try a meditation meeting in the 12-step program I'm in.

You're welcome, @heilmania, but it's not my idea.

The original thread started back in 2012ish by Titania, It had hundreds and hundreds of responses. Sadly, we lost it due to a privacy issue.

• Like 1
  • Wooster pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...