CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
AshleyS

need some help

I am  struggling atm and was wondering what other people do to distract or cope with the feelings of waiting to SH

Some things that help me:

-Go on a walk. Away from anything that could hurt you. 

-Make a cup of tea, and focus on sipping it slowly and feeling the warmth of the tea. 

-Put on a timer for 15 or 30 minutes and say you'll reevaluate the SH urge after that. 

-Get a newspaper and circle every letter r or something (you can choose the letter!). 

-Play piano (but only works if you play a musical instrument). 

-Suck on ice. Or hold it. 

-Find someone to talk to. Call a friend, parent, whoever. Walk somewhere to take the call where you can't SH. 

-Get a hairtie or a rubber band and flick it against your wrist whenever you have the urge to hurt yourself. 

Not sure if anything here will help. Sorry to hear you're struggling :(

2 minutes ago, survivingbp said:

-Suck on ice. Or hold it. 

-Find someone to talk to. Call a friend, parent, whoever. Walk somewhere to take the call where you can't SH. 

-Get a hairtie or a rubber band and flick it against your wrist whenever you have the urge to hurt yourself

I have found that lately this things^^^^^^^ haven't really helped me. It is almost like I have done them to much. They used to work but idk what happened.

I know if I hurt myself it would be wrong. I just try to hold off but it seems like all holding off does is make me want to do it more.

thanks for the other ideas I will def. try them first I must get a paper(just to damn cold to get on now)

I've found video games or comic books to help. Funny things that make me laugh or experience physical reactions.

Maybe something like drinking a cold glass of water. Cooking or eating something with spicy taste or a slight burn really helps me out quite a bit. I love spicy food quite a bit.

Just some ideas.

Look out the window and count the red cars or something. Go somewhere you can look out a window and see cars for this, of course. I like McDonald's - bonus, I am unlikely to sh if I'm sitting at McDonald's.

5 things - list 5 things you hear/see/feel/taste/smell (those last two are hard! do the best you can)

Colour. You've recommended that to me before. Focus on how the pencil crayon feels against the page. Think like you're putting all your want into the page. Let it flow out the end of the pencil crayon (or marker or whatever).

Chat can help sometimes. Sometimes not. Sometimes I say I need help, sometimes I don't. It depends.

Meditate.

Do a progressive muscle relaxation exercise and/or a breathing exercise. I like these ones: http://www.health.msstate.edu/scs/wellness.php

Binge watch something. Go for happy/silly not drama. 

Let us know how you're doing. We're here for you

2 minutes ago, Geek said:

Colour. You've recommended that to me before. Focus on how the pencil crayon feels against the page. Think like you're putting all your want into the page. Let it flow out the end of the pencil crayon (or marker or whatever).

thanks Geek I do like to color but I have nothing to color with. I also find its easier to help other people then myself

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshleyS said:

thanks Geek I do like to color but I have nothing to color with. I also find its easier to help other people then myself

What about just shading with a pen or pencil? Do you have/can you get a ballpoint pen? Contrasting patterns can be calming too. I do that all the time.

1 hour ago, Geek said:

What about just shading with a pen or pencil? Do you have/can you get a ballpoint pen? Contrasting patterns can be calming too. I do that all the time

I  do !!! I didn't even think about that thanks Geek

13 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

AshleyS do you like to sketch?

I don't like to sketch.

After trying a lot of things, I failed at not SH'ing. I am  now starting to believe that there really isn't any hope for me and SH is my only safe option

I know that its not safe but atm it is the safer of me two choices

Hmm. I had a IOP tdoc who would say there is hope, you've already done it. Look how long you put it off! You were successful in not sh-ing for a long time! Give it another go. Try again. You can do it again :)

3 hours ago, Geek said:

Hmm. I had a IOP tdoc who would say there is hope, you've already done it. Look how long you put it off! You were successful in not sh-ing for a long time! Give it another go. Try again. You can do it again :)

I know I just feel like a failure

i am sorry that you are feeling bad. have you tried a small  ball that you can sueese or roll or softly throw it against the wall to get your emotions out.  also maybe punching a pillow.  love dava

Hey, do you have any idea what kinds of emotions or desires trigger your SH? My old therapist gave me a master list of emotions that accompany self harm and their corresponding coping skills and I'd be happy to share some ideas with you xx

The categories of feelings were:

• Angry, frustrated, restless
  • Sad, soft, melancholy, depressed, unhappy
  • Numb, unreal, craving sensation or pain, dissociation
  • Wanting focus
  • Wanting to see blood, scars, or pick scabs
  • Wanting the familiar ritual of self harm

Let me know if there are any categories in particular you are interested in knowing how to deal with!