Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

im just starting saphris for the first time. what are all of your experiences on this medication?

seroquel would be fine if it didnt cause me to gain weight, but i cant fit in my clothes so i need to change meds. its also the only med that didnt give me anhedonia... latuda was fine up until my fourth month on the med, when the anhedonia suddenly popped up. 

anyway, experiences anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been taking it for at least 2 years now.  Started as a switch from Seroquel and I thought I was going manic - realized it was just the depression lifting, I wasn't used to what 'normal' felt like.

I take 25mg now, and still need Loxapine to supplement as an anti-psychotic, but I like Saphris a lot.  Tastes like shit but is worth it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took it for around 6 months. I used to take all 20mg at night as opposed to AM/PM. I liked it. It made my sleep so consistent for the first few months then the sedation stopped wearing off. Never took away psychosis completely but I never have that expectation from my meds lol. It does tastes like shit though lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took it for like four months.  I found it activating.  Had mad insomnia.  Other wise I saw no difference.  Went cold turkey of ten milligram s  .  No problem with stopping.  Sleep seems better.  I still haven't told my doc I went off it.  But it made me restless.  Love Zyprexa but can't take it due to massive weight gain.  Boo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 10:46 PM, jarn said:

I've been taking it for at least 2 years now.  Started as a switch from Seroquel and I thought I was going manic - realized it was just the depression lifting, I wasn't used to what 'normal' felt like.

I take 25mg now, and still need Loxapine to supplement as an anti-psychotic, but I like Saphris a lot.  Tastes like shit but is worth it.  

hey jarn,

so im currently taking 10mg of saphris and havent had psychosis subside. do you also get psychosis? it says in your signature you get psychosis therapy. have you ever taken 10mg of the med? if so, was it just not enough? sorry for all the questions, its just that this medication seems to have a good profile and ive tried so many other AAPs, with the exception of clozapine, which I don't want to get to if I don't have to as I've heard its associated with a lot of weight gain and sleepiness.

thanks!

edit: just realized you take lozapine, which is kind of like clozapine? how is it?

Edited by iwishididnthaveanhedonia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iwishididnthaveanhedonia said:

hey jarn,

so im currently taking 10mg of saphris and havent had psychosis subside. do you also get psychosis? it says in your signature you get psychosis therapy. have you ever taken 10mg of the med? if so, was it just not enough? sorry for all the questions, its just that this medication seems to have a good profile and ive tried so many other AAPs, with the exception of clozapine, which I don't want to get to if I don't have to as I've heard its associated with a lot of weight gain and sleepiness.

thanks!

edit: just realized you take lozapine, which is kind of like clozapine? how is it?

I take Saphris and Loxapine for psychosis, yes.  I am on a higher dosage of Saphris (25mg) and even then I need the Loxapine (which is a typical) as well, though I didn't use to.  

Saphris has been good for my psychosis, though for the 5 (???  I forget) years I've been on it 3.5 years I've been on another anti-psychotic as well to supplement.  

10mg of Saphris would not have been enough to help with psychosis for me though, but I suppose everyone reacts to meds differently.  I believe 20mg is the 'max' dose, I take more than that.  

Oh and I really like loxapine.  Other than some start up weird stuff with my tongue it's been side effect free and done great things for my psychosis and associated agitation.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jarn said:

I take Saphris and Loxapine for psychosis, yes.  I am on a higher dosage of Saphris (25mg) and even then I need the Loxapine (which is a typical) as well, though I didn't use to.  

Saphris has been good for my psychosis, though for the 5 (???  I forget) years I've been on it 3.5 years I've been on another anti-psychotic as well to supplement.  

10mg of Saphris would not have been enough to help with psychosis for me though, but I suppose everyone reacts to meds differently.  I believe 20mg is the 'max' dose, I take more than that.  

Oh and I really like loxapine.  Other than some start up weird stuff with my tongue it's been side effect free and done great things for my psychosis and associated agitation.  

great! thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I took Saphris for about 8 months and it was great to start with. I was probably hypomanic but it cleared my thoughts and brought back motivation and joy in my everyday activities. I was still experiencing psychosis at 5mg-15mg...20mg seemed to finally help with that. After a time of building stressors in my work environment I started dealing with growing paranoia and some hallucinations again and we upped it to 30mg, all at night because it was very sedating. That dose started giving me an odd reaction with my vision getting locked onto things (hard to explain) and we had to switch things up yet again :( Saphris was the longest running med I've felt good on and kept my depression away which has yet to be accomplished since. So over all great for mood stabilization, but slightly less effective at keeping psychosis away permanently. Other than the otherwise unheard of reaction with my vision I experienced no side effects at all. I really miss this med and have thought about asking to try it again...

I know this initially was posted a few months ago...hope things are doing alright for you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, soulgr4ffiti4rtist said:

I took Saphris for about 8 months and it was great to start with. I was probably hypomanic but it cleared my thoughts and brought back motivation and joy in my everyday activities. I was still experiencing psychosis at 5mg-15mg...20mg seemed to finally help with that. After a time of building stressors in my work environment I started dealing with growing paranoia and some hallucinations again and we upped it to 30mg, all at night because it was very sedating. That dose started giving me an odd reaction with my vision getting locked onto things (hard to explain) and we had to switch things up yet again :( Saphris was the longest running med I've felt good on and kept my depression away which has yet to be accomplished since. So over all great for mood stabilization, but slightly less effective at keeping psychosis away permanently. Other than the otherwise unheard of reaction with my vision I experienced no side effects at all. I really miss this med and have thought about asking to try it again...

I know this initially was posted a few months ago...hope things are doing alright for you!

okay, thanks for the info. im curious - any weight gain on the med for you? I've lost some of the 15 extra lbs from the seroquel but id like to return to 160, which i havent as of yet. admittedly havent done any exercise though to combat the weight gain, really wanna start doing that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By apostle1850
      Saphris is a life-saver for me but is causing me tenseness and anxiety, which I fear is making my fibromyalgia much worse. Does anyone have any insights about this?
    • By Motoko
      So I recently went off antipsychotics after having been on them for nearly seven years.  They weren't helping with what I needed the most help with and I (and my shrink) suspected they were responsible for the anhedo'nic malaise I've been suffering from for years now.  At first I was resistant to get off them because I really thought I needed them, but then I ran out and didn't get it refilled for a couple of weeks and was like, "Hey, I don't feel DEAD inside."  And I wasn't suffering any bad effects from NOT taking them, so I figured I would just take them on as as-needed basis.  Which happens about once every two weeks.  I just get hamster wheel brain and have to shut it off.
      And so far that's been working out really well.  I'm curious how long it's taken for others who have gotten off them to get them out of your system.  I haven't taken any Haldol in over a month, but it was just in the last few days that I really felt like I'd "woken up".  I can write again.  I haven't written anything other than cryptic Facebook posts since 2014.  I've done nothing but read Facebook and the news and watch tv and movies since I quit my job four years ago, which I had to do because I couldn't function at it anymore.  I was constantly forgetting things and fucking up, it was awful.  Looking back I can't be sure if it's because of the illness or the meds.  I don't really care anymore.  I'm awake again.
      Thankfully my bipolar disorder isn't so severe that I need APs all the time anymore.  I think at first I did, but I've changed a lot over the last several years since I was diagnosed.  I don't have the same issues as I once did.  I'm a lot more stable.  I still take my other meds, mostly so I can sleep, since I also have a sleep disorder (a manageable one, thank the gods).  The meds kept me from doing the thing that was probably the healthiest thing I was doing for myself: meditating.  Now that I can focus and concentrate again, I can get back to a sitting practice, which gives me the mindfulness I need to stay on top of the little cues my brain gives me when I might be about to do something...off.
      It's nice not to be swimming in glue anymore.
    • By manicgem
      Okay so I'm on a lot of meds now and just started seeing a new pdoc who's thinking of making some serious changes. I have bipolar, anxiety, ADHD, hypothyroidism, and a pituitary tumor. When I was first diagnosed with BP, I was on lithium and seroquel, which worked well enough until I got depressed enough to get hospitalized a second time. That's when I added klonopin and switched to depakote because lithium was starting to affect my kidneys. This combo controls my mania more than my depression and my anxiety is still bad. My previous pdoc added Strattera for the ADHD but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything. She also added a small dose of trazadone because I was having trouble falling asleep. That helps but also might be making me sleep too much. 
      Anyway, new pdoc suggested replacing the seroquel and/or the depakote due to weight issues and fatty liver (which may be from the depakote or just cause I'm fat who knows). He thinks Saphris could replace Seroquel and be better from a weight perspective. However, I'm dependent on Seroquel for sleep in addition to my other meds, and it doesn't seem like Saphris has that same effect. I'm more open to changing up the Depakote since I gained a lot of weight on it, but I don't know how good the other mood stabilizers are with mania, which has caused big problems in the past. 
      Does anyone know much about Saphris and sleep or weight gain? And what other mood stabilizers might be good (i.e. More weight neutral and helpful for depression and mania).  
    • By meltymelt
      The antypicals and i tend not to get along though I need them. Most of them have given me some sort of EPS except for seroquel, zyprexia (which after i stopped taking all my friends said that i had i turned ito a zombie) and saphris (which is not covered by insurance where i live...). Risperdol is the only one I havent tried. Does it cause EPS? I wish I could continue on with seroquel but after ECT my brain chemistry changed and know i can take 50 mg and go to yoga class. True story. Ugh.
    • By Swamp56
      For those of you who use Saphris, how exactly do you take it? Their website isn't very helpful and my doctor never really explained how fast it dissolves, and how long to wait before you can lift your tongue.
×
×
  • Create New...