CrazyBoards.org

im just starting saphris for the first time. what are all of your experiences on this medication?

seroquel would be fine if it didnt cause me to gain weight, but i cant fit in my clothes so i need to change meds. its also the only med that didnt give me anhedonia... latuda was fine up until my fourth month on the med, when the anhedonia suddenly popped up. 

anyway, experiences anyone?

I've been taking it for at least 2 years now.  Started as a switch from Seroquel and I thought I was going manic - realized it was just the depression lifting, I wasn't used to what 'normal' felt like.

I take 25mg now, and still need Loxapine to supplement as an anti-psychotic, but I like Saphris a lot.  Tastes like shit but is worth it.  

I took it for around 6 months. I used to take all 20mg at night as opposed to AM/PM. I liked it. It made my sleep so consistent for the first few months then the sedation stopped wearing off. Never took away psychosis completely but I never have that expectation from my meds lol. It does tastes like shit though lol. 

I took it for like four months.  I found it activating.  Had mad insomnia.  Other wise I saw no difference.  Went cold turkey of ten milligram s  .  No problem with stopping.  Sleep seems better.  I still haven't told my doc I went off it.  But it made me restless.  Love Zyprexa but can't take it due to massive weight gain.  Boo

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 10:46 PM, jarn said:

I've been taking it for at least 2 years now.  Started as a switch from Seroquel and I thought I was going manic - realized it was just the depression lifting, I wasn't used to what 'normal' felt like.

I take 25mg now, and still need Loxapine to supplement as an anti-psychotic, but I like Saphris a lot.  Tastes like shit but is worth it.  

hey jarn,

so im currently taking 10mg of saphris and havent had psychosis subside. do you also get psychosis? it says in your signature you get psychosis therapy. have you ever taken 10mg of the med? if so, was it just not enough? sorry for all the questions, its just that this medication seems to have a good profile and ive tried so many other AAPs, with the exception of clozapine, which I don't want to get to if I don't have to as I've heard its associated with a lot of weight gain and sleepiness.

thanks!

edit: just realized you take lozapine, which is kind of like clozapine? how is it?

Edited by iwishididnthaveanhedonia

3 hours ago, iwishididnthaveanhedonia said:

hey jarn,

so im currently taking 10mg of saphris and havent had psychosis subside. do you also get psychosis? it says in your signature you get psychosis therapy. have you ever taken 10mg of the med? if so, was it just not enough? sorry for all the questions, its just that this medication seems to have a good profile and ive tried so many other AAPs, with the exception of clozapine, which I don't want to get to if I don't have to as I've heard its associated with a lot of weight gain and sleepiness.

thanks!

edit: just realized you take lozapine, which is kind of like clozapine? how is it?

I take Saphris and Loxapine for psychosis, yes.  I am on a higher dosage of Saphris (25mg) and even then I need the Loxapine (which is a typical) as well, though I didn't use to.  

Saphris has been good for my psychosis, though for the 5 (???  I forget) years I've been on it 3.5 years I've been on another anti-psychotic as well to supplement.  

10mg of Saphris would not have been enough to help with psychosis for me though, but I suppose everyone reacts to meds differently.  I believe 20mg is the 'max' dose, I take more than that.  

Oh and I really like loxapine.  Other than some start up weird stuff with my tongue it's been side effect free and done great things for my psychosis and associated agitation.  

4 hours ago, jarn said:

I take Saphris and Loxapine for psychosis, yes.  I am on a higher dosage of Saphris (25mg) and even then I need the Loxapine (which is a typical) as well, though I didn't use to.  

Saphris has been good for my psychosis, though for the 5 (???  I forget) years I've been on it 3.5 years I've been on another anti-psychotic as well to supplement.  

10mg of Saphris would not have been enough to help with psychosis for me though, but I suppose everyone reacts to meds differently.  I believe 20mg is the 'max' dose, I take more than that.  

Oh and I really like loxapine.  Other than some start up weird stuff with my tongue it's been side effect free and done great things for my psychosis and associated agitation.  

great! thanks

• 2 months later...

I took Saphris for about 8 months and it was great to start with. I was probably hypomanic but it cleared my thoughts and brought back motivation and joy in my everyday activities. I was still experiencing psychosis at 5mg-15mg...20mg seemed to finally help with that. After a time of building stressors in my work environment I started dealing with growing paranoia and some hallucinations again and we upped it to 30mg, all at night because it was very sedating. That dose started giving me an odd reaction with my vision getting locked onto things (hard to explain) and we had to switch things up yet again :( Saphris was the longest running med I've felt good on and kept my depression away which has yet to be accomplished since. So over all great for mood stabilization, but slightly less effective at keeping psychosis away permanently. Other than the otherwise unheard of reaction with my vision I experienced no side effects at all. I really miss this med and have thought about asking to try it again...

I know this initially was posted a few months ago...hope things are doing alright for you!

17 hours ago, soulgr4ffiti4rtist said:

I took Saphris for about 8 months and it was great to start with. I was probably hypomanic but it cleared my thoughts and brought back motivation and joy in my everyday activities. I was still experiencing psychosis at 5mg-15mg...20mg seemed to finally help with that. After a time of building stressors in my work environment I started dealing with growing paranoia and some hallucinations again and we upped it to 30mg, all at night because it was very sedating. That dose started giving me an odd reaction with my vision getting locked onto things (hard to explain) and we had to switch things up yet again :( Saphris was the longest running med I've felt good on and kept my depression away which has yet to be accomplished since. So over all great for mood stabilization, but slightly less effective at keeping psychosis away permanently. Other than the otherwise unheard of reaction with my vision I experienced no side effects at all. I really miss this med and have thought about asking to try it again...

I know this initially was posted a few months ago...hope things are doing alright for you!

okay, thanks for the info. im curious - any weight gain on the med for you? I've lost some of the 15 extra lbs from the seroquel but id like to return to 160, which i havent as of yet. admittedly havent done any exercise though to combat the weight gain, really wanna start doing that