CrazyBoards.org

I am switching from trileptell to lamictal tomorrow because of some things i have read on this board saying it gives you your creativity back.  I was a vegetable for a year on geodon and now I've been on trileptell for 6 weeks and am doing a little better but still not good.  can lamictal be the miracle drug I've been hoping for? I used to be a productive person but now barely function.  sorry i don't post very often because i usually don't care about anything but I do read the board once a day. i am basically an idiot and i used to be an energetic person.  I never leave the couch

Dont be so hard on yourself.... We all come to this site for the same reasons..Its like going to AA.. We are not unique in anyway we all can relate...

Anyway.... Lamictal is a great new drug..The key to taking it is to slowly and I mean slowly titrate it into your system.. I had the orange starter kit and I am finally up to 200mgs.. I started at 25mg and was feeling better around 100mgs. I swear by this med but I do feel that it is a good addition to other meds.. I am bipolar with more depression than manic episodes.. So my Pdoc combines an AD with Lamictal to help stabalize my modes... For the first time in many years I have been somewhat stable.. I do have some manic problems but I am working on them. Lamictal has given me part of my life back...

There are many many postings on this drug. Check them out and you will get some good info.... Remember we are all patients too,,, not Physcians,, so ask your Pdoc what he feels is best for you....

Hope all works out for you!!

Lamictal has been wonderful for me.  I'm still titrating and I am up to 75 mg.  In about 2 weeks, I'll bump up to 100 mg.

I have never in my life felt this stable before.  I take Lamictal and Cymbalta.  Even when my depression would clear, I was always so unstable - up and down and crabby, crabby, crabby irritable.  That has all cleared with Lamictal. 

Hope it helps you!

Anne

I've been on Lamictal for well over a year, 300mg/day, and like it quite a bit. I've not had any trouble with it, and I think it has certainly helped a great deal towards me feeling much better.

I have unipolar depression, but I still think that Lamictal has been very beneficial to me.

Fiona

I've been on Lamictal since Sept when I was finally (officially) dx as Bipolar II.  I am currently on 200mg.  I love this med!  I am slowly gaining my life back, with the exceptions of the chronic migraines.  I (to quote Anne) have never in my life felt this stable before.

Lamictal has been a wonder drug for me as well.  I started taking it about a year ago, after I had a major depressive episode that my Seroquel and Topamax just weren't handling.  Long story short, I had a few more episodes in 2005, and since late summer I've been stable on 400mg a day.  400 was the "magic" dose for me--once I got there, things leveled out perfectly, and if I have bad days, they are few, and mild.

Great stuff.

I'll chime in. Been great for me. Done a lot of good in ways I didn't even expect. Did have a period of uncomfortable SEs, but they passed -- now pretty SE-free. Also very happy I didn't let the SEs get in the way of my staying on this med, which is helping me immensely.

It may be the right med for you: however, if it isn't please remember there are others. Be patient. You'll find the right one (or combo) for you.

Guest luli2545

Well, yes, this afternoon I was happy! Just pleasurably so; how great though.

it's definitely helping with moods. I felt a bit of speediness going on it, also quickly it helped lift my mood, which was interesting at 25 mg!

Good luck and talk to doc and as Air Marshall wrote or Nars maybe, staying in touch with pdoc was good for me.

Remember, YMMV. I didn't get an antidepressant effect until I hit 125 mg. So, patience if you don't feel better at lower doses. Thrilled for people who do, but it doesn't happen that way for everyone. (Hope it does for you, just be patient if it doesn't.)

Good luck!

"i need to feel better or my husband will leave me."

I feel for both of you. I am the spouse of a bp. I had to give my husband the ultimatum to stay on his medication or we would get divorced. I couldn't stand back and watch him self distruct again...or call the men with the funny white coats to take him away again. Too painful.

It isn't someone's fault when they get this illness, but it is their responsibility to take care of the problem. Living in mania-land was something hubby had a hard time giving up. He only really stuck with his meds after he had his first depressive episode after years of hypomania and full blown manic episodes with psychosis. Many meds were tried (and syprexa squashed the mania very well), but it wasn't until he tried lamictal that the depression finally left. He still gets an occassional anxiety attack, but we still have the zyprexa handy and overall he is doing well.

He is still creative, fun, and an all around swell guy. Other medications made him feel like a zombie. He still has a little problem getting motivated in the mornings, but that is getting better as well. Actually, I think after 6 months on lamictal, he is his "old self" but without crazy (woo hoo!)

It may take a LONG ASS time to get to the right levels, but once you do, this could be a very good med for you.

I also love the Lamictal.  Im on 100mg right now, and it only gets better.  I was depressed and suicidal before.  Now, after adding the Lamictal to the rest of my meds, I feel so much better.  Normal.  I hope it works for you the way it's worked for me.

Heya,

Also in the Lamictal fan club.

The biggest effect I've noticed (starting from 25mg, the first day!) has been that I can now fall asleep, stay asleep, wake rested, and not have nightmares all bloody night.

That alone makes it worth the bucks.

Still titrating (at 225 now) to get relief from depression -- I think I'm finally in that so-called mild-to-moderate range in which CBT is supposed to help, so I'm hoping to get a decent therapist.

Couple of mixeds since on Lamictal, brought on by (1) antibiotics side effects and (2) sleep deprivation, so I have to be very vigilant.

Couple of moderate-to-severe depressive episodes, brought on by (1) just being prone to waking up depressed sometimes and (2) going off fish oil, which I am now back on.

But on the whole?

So grateful to have found this drug.

Cautiously optimistic when I'm not realistically pessimistic.

--ncc--

Haha, there SHOULD be a Lamictal fan club! ;)

I take 200mg a day, and I LOVE it. Me and my Lamictal tablets are best friends. I take it for seizures, but it also helps with my bipolar disorder and it helps me feel more rested when I wake up in the morning.

So for me, it's an all-around miracle drug.

Guest luli2545

Well I'm coming again to the fan club;

just wanted to add that i was on 225 mg effexor when starting the lamictal. Maybe that's why i felt a "lift" at 25...sort of energizing.

Tonight is my first time on 75 mg. Crossing my fingers.

Still "normal," as in NOT depressed/anxious/angst ridden...

Overall I'm glad to be taking lamictal.

Luli

Wifezilla, I understand how hard it would be to live with me.  I'm not much fun.  I used to be funny and creative now I'm a big blah. 

I am very encouraged and hopeful reading all of your posts and the other lamictal threads.  I took the first 25 last night and had a little trouble falling asleep .  Tylenol pm works.

Archived