CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sketch2000

Luvox Withdrawals or Strattera induced Mania? Please help

I've been on a course of Luvox, Klonopin, and Lamictal since 2009 for the treatment of a very rare Dissociative Condition (Chronic Depersonalization and Derealization) I "inherited" in 2008 (due to Zyprexa withdrawals and medication mismanagement by my Psychiatrist at that time). Since that time I've been very lucky to get the proper diagnosis and receive treatment that is in tune with the University of London Depersonalization Research Institute and have had some very good Psychiatrists and Neurologists work with me. However, now in 2016 I've tried to improve my quality of life and productivity by adding "stimulants" to my regimen to help me be more productive and less sedentary all of the time. This is also in line with some Dr.'s thought on Chronic Depersonalization (Such as Dr. Alan Torch in the book "Feeling Unreal" - as he finds it helps "lift" people who suffer from Dissociation out of that state and closer to reality - along with the SSRI and Klonopin - which is a staple in treating Depersonalization). I tried Adderal - which was great - but exacerbated my facial pain syndrome (another condition I have) - so I had to discontinue. I tried Ritalin - which was GREAT - it helped with my depression, ruminations, and my productivity - however it too exacerbated my facial pain - so I had to discontinue. I met with my Pdoc following this and was very distraught - as these medications were helping me reach my full potential. So I asked if i should lower my Luvox. I currently take 150mg (50mg 3x daily) - to see if that would help with the sedation and apathy I experience (after being on Ritalin it was easy to see how sedentary and apathetic I really am) - we also discussed the addition of Strattera - given it is a stimulant but won't stimulate the central nervous system so it likely won't exacerbate my existing facial pain. The plan we came up with was to lower my Luvox by 50mg - skip the afternoon dose - so I would continue with my 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I was to do this for a week and THEN (if no problems were present from missing this dose) begin the Straterra. I skipped the Luvox afternoon dose as planned - and for the week I was "okay" other than a few days I didn't have any excessive ruminations or songs playing in my head or depersonalization like symptoms. Then I introduced Strattera at 18mg. After 2 days I stopped - It caused me to depersonalize more and additionally it caused EXCESSIVE ruminations - songs playing in my head, words repeating themselves when I'm watching TV, before I say something in person I'd say it in my head, and so on. It also made me feel "weird". It has now been 2 days since stopping the Strattera and I am still experiecing these symptoms and more - although I can focus and I do have similar symptoms like this from time to time (when my depersonalization is really bad) I've never had it be this consistent (although I'm not full blown depersonalized which I know all too well - its a horrible horrible thing to lose your sense of self - this is something different - although since I'm stuck in my head partially there is an extent of depersonalization and derealization involved). I'm also experiencing dizziness, anxiety, and I can't stop these ruminations. My questions are - 1) Could this be the Luvox withdrawal? Despite feeling "okay" during the first week - is it possible that it took a week or so for the withdrawal affects to kick in? From what I've read Luvox should be titrated very very slowly - not at a drop of 50mg but from 10% of what your dose is - over a longer period. My Psychiatrist is quite good so I'm quite alarmed at this advice. 2) Since I introduced Strattera which seems to have exacerbated and/or caused this - could it be the Strattera? And if so, why is it still continuing when Strattera has such a short half life? It should be out of my system by now! I only have 2 options - wait this out and see what happens - perhaps the Strattera is still playing havoc in my head - whether its in the system or not - but perhaps its exacerbated my existing ruminations that were well..."at bay". Otherwise, my 2nd option is to reintroduce the Luvox 2nd dose and see what happens. I would have been down to 100mg for 9 days. Had I not introduced the Strattera after only a week of lowering my Luvox dose it wold have been easy to see that the lowering of my Luvox is causing this and I would have just gone back to my regular dose. However Strattera was what really exacerbated or caused this - so I'm not sure what to do - Any advice would be appreciated! Thru my research I’ve found that Strattera can cause “mania” in some patients which it seems what I am experiencing – along with the other symptoms I’ve mentioned above. So I’m not sure what to do. Its almost afternoon and I'm REALLY considering just taking the Luvox afternoon dose (going back to my regular dose 9 days ago) just to see if it helps. I figure worst case is I'm going to be dependent on the medication for this kind of thing but if it helps and gets me back to where I was PRIOR to this - then I can live with that. But I can't continue like this! And then, if it does work - in the future I can plan a LONG LONG titration of Luvox (I'd like to go down by 50mg, but I sure as hell won't be going down 50mg like I did) I'd go down very slowly on my afternoon dose. So is it the Strattera or the Luvox? And if I introduce the Luvox (even though I was okay during that first week and before introducing the Strattera) how much harm would I be doing? I've been on that dose for over 3 years so I figure It could at least provide me some relief. I feel like the affects the Strattera brought on aren't getting better but getting worse - so perhaps its a combination of withdrawals from both drugs? Not sure. Please help. Really suffering right now guys.

Hi. We encourage members to post their topics to only one board. Otherwise, it can get pretty confusing very fast. I have closed the duplicate threads and am keeping this one open.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Hi. We encourage members to post their topics to only one board. Otherwise, it can get pretty confusing very fast. I have closed the duplicate threads and am keeping this one open.

Hi Jt07. Apologies for posting duplicates. Just really looking for some help right now.

Hi Sketch. I can tell you that the first time I took strattera, I definitely felt pretty zoomy. I am sensitive to certain NE-pushing meds, and this is one of them. FWIW, I was able to mitigate a lot of the side effects by slowly titrating up from a teeny dose, but talk to your doc about how to do this before tinkering around with your meds.

It does have a short half life, but it is possible to get kindling effects from meds sometimes. I don't have any experience with Luvox so I'm not much help there, maybe someone else can chime in with more firsthand knowledge with that.

Edited by pseudopod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pseudopod said:

Hi Sketch. I can tell you that the first time I took strattera, I definitely felt pretty zoomy. I am sensitive to certain NE-pushing meds, and this is one of them. FWIW, I was able to mitigate a lot of the side effects by slowly titrating up from a teeny dose, but talk to your doc about how to do this before tinkering around with your meds.

It does have a short half life, but it is possible to get kindling effects from meds sometimes. I don't have any experience with Luvox so I'm not much help there, maybe someone else can chime in with more firsthand knowledge with that.

Thanks for the input. 

I stopped taking it after two days, the racing thoughts or mania were so bad (along with exacerbating my depersonalization).

Yesterday i went back up on my luvox and I'm feeling a little better. Still having a lot of racing thoughts but there easier to get rid of and more in the background. 

I figured i may as well go back to my regular dosage of luvox after lowering 9 days ago - just in case it helps or if that's the culprit. Worst case i would be back on my regular dose so at least i know what to expect. 

Again, mania or racing thoughts still present but a little easier to manage. I think it was mostly the straterra not the luvox. But i do think the luvox is helping and hopefully will get me back to "normal". 

2 minutes ago, pseudopod said:

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what's going on, glad you're feeling better.

Thanks again. 

I was hoping for a little more improvement today but any progress is good in my books. I think it'll take a few days for the luvox to be fully reintroduced back into my system. That, and whatever remains of the straterra should continue to diminish. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Thanks again

I took Luvox for a while, for anxiety, and coming off it (250mg) I had bad side effects, and anxiety and whatnot coming back, even as I tapered down, supervised by my pdoc. It was causing agitation. I had brain zaps, dizziness, stuff like that. Luvox has a short half life (I believe less than 12 hours), so it's often easier to switch to a longer acting SSRI, like Prozac (which is about 24 hours in half life) and come down that way. Strattera is in a different class than Luvox, so you can't cross taper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, San said:

I took Luvox for a while, for anxiety, and coming off it (250mg) I had bad side effects, and anxiety and whatnot coming back, even as I tapered down, supervised by my pdoc. It was causing agitation. I had brain zaps, dizziness, stuff like that. Luvox has a short half life (I believe less than 12 hours), so it's often easier to switch to a longer acting SSRI, like Prozac (which is about 24 hours in half life) and come down that way. Strattera is in a different class than Luvox, so you can't cross taper.

FWIW, there is a SR formulation that helps with the half life.

4 hours ago, San said:

Yeah. Straterra is a different med entirely. 

I was on 150 mg of luvox and went down by 50 at the advice of my pdoc. From what I've read it's got the shortest half life of any ssri. Which is why the recommended way to taper is 10% of your dose every few weeks. 

My argument is that i didn't feel "that bad"despite coming down by 50until i took the straterra. 

So i think it's s combination of the luvox leaving my system over 9 days and the straterra which can induce mania like symptoms. 

I've also been thru quite a rough patch with trying ritalin the week prior and it being amazing! Life changing. No more apathy, sedation, hypersomnia ethnic but had to discontinue. 

Which is why i was so adamant about changing something because i finally had a taste of real life (after 8 years). I was up all day, sleep cycle was perfect, motivated, my chronic dp and ruminating were less, but had to stop as it exacerbated my facial pain syndrome. 

I can't win. 

I'm not one to want to change meds or dosages but after that i was adamant about lowering luvox as its quite sedating. And trying a stim but something that doesn't stim your central nervous system. Which is what i did. Lower the luvox by 50 over a week and i felt okay. Introduce the straterra only then. So i did and all hell breaks loose. At least now I'm back to normal or close to but I'm back on my regular dose of meds. 

Lots ofchanges chemically so i'm going to give it time and readress the issue of lowering my luvox (at a far lower rate) sometime in the future (i wasn't trying to get off just lower it).

Until then just trying to manage. 

4 hours ago, San said:

How did taking 250 make you feel? I've been on 300 before and wad really really sedated and apathetic. Dropped to 150 and I've been steady for a few years. Which is why i wanted to drop it some more. 

250 made me quite manic and irritable, but helped with anxiety. I tend to swing more to mania. (Schizoaffective, bipolar type here) Now I take 10mg Lexapro for anxiety, in the morning (some people get tired, some don't, from antidepressants) for anxiety. Less drug interactions, according to my pdoc. I didn't know there was an extended version, that VE suggested.

It may take some time for everything to settle.

22 hours ago, San said:

How did taking 250 make you feel? I've been on 300 before and wad really really sedated and apathetic. Dropped to 150 and I've been steady for a few years. Which is why i wanted to drop it some more. 

3 hours ago, San said:

250 made me quite manic and irritable, but helped with anxiety. I tend to swing more to mania. (Schizoaffective, bipolar type here) Now I take 10mg Lexapro for anxiety, in the morning (some people get tired, some don't, from antidepressants) for anxiety. Less drug interactions, according to my pdoc. I didn't know there was an extended version, that VE suggested.

It may take some time for everything to settle.

Yes there is an extended version i used when i began treatment with luvox back in 2009. I'm beginning to feel better. Like my old apathetic self. But with my chronic depersonalization and mania more manageable. I'm glad the Lexapro is working for you.