Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I just started it today but after reading some of these replies I'm a little nervous right now!!! I will update in a few days hopefully I have no problems!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is different. You won't know until you try it for yourself. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently taking:

200mg Lamictal

174mg Aplenzin

5mg Zyprexa

I was having unsettling thoughts and needed to quiet my mind. I was also having some anxiety. Zyprexa is very settling and has helped a lot but I haven't even been on it a month and I'm blowing up like the Michelin man. However, I wanted to switch to Vraylar because it is more weight neutral. But my pdoc did say that the patients he prescribed it to did indeed feel very stimulated. I just got rid of Lexapro yesterday (good riddance, just want my sex drive back). Despite the fact that it is activating, has anyone felt like their thoughts are racing or had intrusive thoughts? If so, did they go away after your body adjusted? I understand that it takes quite a while to tell how this will work for you because of  the 2-3 day half life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, Dusk said:

Sadly I had to go off Vraylar because I had a severe allergic reaction and the hospital Dr. thought this med is the cause of it. I'm so upset because I was doing so well on it.

What was the reaction you had?  So the allergic reaction happened a few weeks of it being ok with you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, browri said:

I'm currently taking:

200mg Lamictal

174mg Aplenzin

5mg Zyprexa

I was having unsettling thoughts and needed to quiet my mind. I was also having some anxiety. Zyprexa is very settling and has helped a lot but I haven't even been on it a month and I'm blowing up like the Michelin man. However, I wanted to switch to Vraylar because it is more weight neutral. But my pdoc did say that the patients he prescribed it to did indeed feel very stimulated. I just got rid of Lexapro yesterday (good riddance, just want my sex drive back). Despite the fact that it is activating, has anyone felt like their thoughts are racing or had intrusive thoughts? If so, did they go away after your body adjusted? I understand that it takes quite a while to tell how this will work for you because of  the 2-3 day half life.

Hey there. I am only a week in on 1.5 mg of Vraylar. Started taking it at night with my night meds. (I take seroquel, topamax, and Lamictal at night) Slept pretty well and have noticed activation, yet not hypo mania type stuff, just motivated to do things, and able to wake up n the morning. 

I have Lamictal in AM with Prozac, and the Vraylar is a nice add on to the Prozac... I feel good.

Today I was a bit irritable yet still able to joke with my boyfriend and not having huge mood swings or finding myself making decisions without thinking things through (impulsivity was one thing I experienced with Rexulti and I was very irritable with it and had to discontinue it)

Have high hopes it will be OK. I have an agreement with my pdoc that we stay at 1.5 for quite some time and take things slow because the irritability and impulsiveness with Rexulti began when we tittered it up.

its hard being on a cocktail of meds and it's hard going through med changes so I appreciate his willingness to work with me. 

Hope perhaps some of this will be helpful. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the reply, @BreakOnThru! I really want to try Vraylar, but my doctor is concerned it won't be settling enough like Zyprexa. He has put a few people on Vraylar and that it is almost always stimulating. He is concerned this will make my anxiety worse, but I would at least like to give it a try.

Going without Lexapro has not been as bad as I was expecting. Today is day 3 with no Lexapro. Gosh the brain zaps are so annoying. Distracting like a toothache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Viper said:

How have you been doing on vraylar?

So far so good I'm taking only 1.5 as an adjunct and at night along with seroquel. Otherwise I'd be up all night I'm afraid. It does help in that its activating and has given me a little more motivation and help with my thinking (I get some persecutory hallucinations at times along with mood stuff) so the atypical antipsychotic cocktail of the 2 is working for me at this low dose.

it does take quite a while for the body to adjust to this one just so you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BreakOnThru said:

So far so good I'm taking only 1.5 as an adjunct and at night along with seroquel. Otherwise I'd be up all night I'm afraid. It does help in that its activating and has given me a little more motivation and help with my thinking (I get some persecutory hallucinations at times along with mood stuff) so the atypical antipsychotic cocktail of the 2 is working for me at this low dose.

it does take quite a while for the body to adjust to this one just so you know.

 

Was just wondering ... you said in a previous post:

On 9/16/2016 at 6:59 AM, browri said:

I really want to try Vraylar, but my doctor is concerned it won't be settling enough like Zyprexa. He has put a few people on Vraylar and that it is almost always stimulating. He is concerned this will make my anxiety worse,

If the Vraylar is stimulating, why do you take it before bed (the 1.5 mg)?  Wouldn't that keep you up at night (as written in bold in first quote)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

 

Was just wondering ... you said in a previous post:

If the Vraylar is stimulating, why do you take it before bed (the 1.5 mg)?  Wouldn't that keep you up at night (as written in bold in first quote)?

Hi there, 

to answer your question I never titrated up from the beginning dose of 1.5 because it was the beginning dose. I tried in the AM and by noon I was needing a nap so to begin with it's a bit sedating for me. 

If I weren't on a cocktail of other psych meds along with it I don't know that it would be appropriate as a stand alone treatment for ME.

Taking vraylar with seroquel at night (which is notoriously sedating)  I seem to be able to sleep and wake up easily and have energy to do things during the day. 

I would not be able to sleep if I took Vraylar at night on its own for sure.

just to clarify, I do have about 5 medicines in my psych drug arsenal including Vraylar and my case is complicated so Vraylar is an adjunct or Add On medicine for me.

This is all prescribed and followed closely by my psychiatrist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BreakOnThru said:

Hi there, 

to answer your question I never titrated up from the beginning dose of 1.5 because it was the beginning dose. I tried in the AM and by noon I was needing a nap so to begin with it's a bit sedating for me. 

If I weren't on a cocktail of other psych meds along with it I don't know that it would be appropriate as a stand alone treatment for ME.

Taking vraylar with seroquel at night (which is notoriously sedating)  I seem to be able to sleep and wake up easily and have energy to do things during the day. 

I would not be able to sleep if I took Vraylar at night on its own for sure.

just to clarify, I do have about 5 medicines in my psych drug arsenal including Vraylar and my case is complicated so Vraylar is an adjunct or Add On medicine for me.

This is all prescribed and followed closely by my psychiatrist. 

Oh, ok ... thanks for the explanation.  Ok, so if you took Vraylar as the only med, at night, you wouldn't be able to sleep.  But with a cocktail it works best for you when you take it at night with the seroquel.

I'm glad your pdoc is monitoring this closely.

I have a complicated case as well (see meds in sig) so I am trying to get all aspects of what Vraylar is like.  Idk when my pdoc plans on switching APs, and at this point maybe he won't, but this was the first med he was thinking about.  This and Rexulti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is your experiences going with Vraylar?  Any updates?  The Pdoc wants me to stick with 3mg Vraylar and 40 mg Viibryd.  Seems to be doing ok.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dphxa said:

I had no luck going from Zyprexa to Vraylar.  I felt like shit the entire time I was on it.  We ended up going back to 2.5mg of Zyprexa.

What happened that made Vraylar made you feel like shit the entire time you were on it?

How long were you on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Vraylar didn't happen. But I went back to Latuda. It's something I know and it did work well for me. It works even better now with the new combination of meds (Trileptal too). Last time taking Latuda, I was just taking 200mg of Lamictal and 60-80mg of Latuda. This time:

200mg Lamictal

900mg Trileptal

40mg Latuda

174mg Aplenzin

Trileptal and Aplenzin really help to boost Latuda's antidepressant effect. Trileptal is very calming. Aplenzin helps with my energy, motivation, and focus. And Latuda does feel very pro-cognitive. Helps with mental clarity and to snuff out distracting and intrusive thoughts. Lamictal helps to smooth the waves and the entire time that I've been on Lamictal I haven't had severe depressive relapses like I used to. Still have short episodes but I get over things much more easily and my moods work themselves out much more quickly. I absolutely DESPISE this word but this cocktail truly is synergistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2016 at 2:29 AM, BreakOnThru said:

Hey there. I am only a week in on 1.5 mg of Vraylar. Started taking it at night with my night meds. (I take seroquel, topamax, and Lamictal at night) Slept pretty well and have noticed activation, yet not hypo mania type stuff, just motivated to do things, and able to wake up n the morning. 

I have Lamictal in AM with Prozac, and the Vraylar is a nice add on to the Prozac... I feel good.

Today I was a bit irritable yet still able to joke with my boyfriend and not having huge mood swings or finding myself making decisions without thinking things through (impulsivity was one thing I experienced with Rexulti and I was very irritable with it and had to discontinue it)

Have high hopes it will be OK. I have an agreement with my pdoc that we stay at 1.5 for quite some time and take things slow because the irritability and impulsiveness with Rexulti began when we tittered it up.

its hard being on a cocktail of meds and it's hard going through med changes so I appreciate his willingness to work with me. 

Hope perhaps some of this will be helpful. 

 

 

 

 

 

hi. i have been on 1.5 for six wks. i started getting anxious and definitely activated and early awakening. So NP said go up to 3. does that sound crazy to anyone? the theory being that the higher dose with do its thing with vreater effacacy to the nerotrans. that arent hitting right now. but sounds like people are having this side effect as part of the drug and not at the wrong dose. it never ocurred to me to take it at night. can someone tell me how an activating drug might do better at nighf? i am on 3 mg only one day and i was tired today. i like this med overall. i feel better at the end of day, feel anxiety first part of day. so much time to fill, obsessively thinking of details to tie up, calling people. etc. to be honest, i would probably have stayed at 1.5 and added zoloft or some otbe ssri.

Oh btw i am mono depression with some anxiety soooo .... i am on lamictal for night seizures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2016 at 6:33 PM, Viper said:

How is your experiences going with Vraylar?  Any updates?  The Pdoc wants me to stick with 3mg Vraylar and 40 mg Viibryd.  Seems to be doing ok.  

I would like to try ssri with vraylar. icant remember drug names right now. i just got off trilltellix when i startd vrsylar then the anxiety and the irritablity started. maybe i should have stayed on that. but for months it didnt seem to do anything. anyone having jointpain and back pain. now i remember. fetzima -- before vralar, was on fetzima and trilltellix and fetzima did nothing and was a bitch to get off of. so i got off it and titrated off trintellix when i started vraylar. 

Edited by Poopout2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dphxa said:

Okay wow sorry just seeing this now

It was the stimulating effects and akathisia I think.  It did not have the same calming feeling as Zyprexa.  I was on it for like 1-2 weeks exactly I don't know it was way back in March.

Thanks for letting me know.  My pdoc has decided to not put me on it after all. He said it is too new and not many studies have been done on it.  I'm glad that I have all this info on it though so in the future if I do go on it, then I will have an idea of what it is like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pdoc finally took me off of Vraylar. I was on just 1.5 mg and still having akathisia from hell and insomnia. I was at one point up to 4.5 mg to see if it would help my depression better, but it just flattened me out and made me practically mute—I didn't talk much anymore, I had "poverty of speech," I think it was practically inducing negative symptoms... Not to mention the akathisia was so bad I had to text my pdoc and ask for Cogentin, which she gladly prescribed, thankfully. But even with 2 mg Cogentin/day, I was having breakthrough akathisia, so she lowered me to 1.5 mg, and even with 2 mg Cogentin/day, I was still having akathisia. So at my next appointment, rather than letting me try something else, she just took me off of Vraylar and said, "let's see how you do without an antipsychotic for now."

So my meds are:

  • Amphetamine salts (Adderall) 10 mg 1 po bid (20 mg) prn
  • Titrating off Emsam (selegiline transdermal system) 6 mg/24 hr 1 TD as per titration schedule
  • Lamotrigine (Lamictal) 25 mg 1 po bid (50 mg)  (up-titrating)
  • Pramipexole (Mirapex) 0,25 mg 1 po qid (1 mg)
  • Titrating on to tranylcypromine (Parnate) currently on 10 mg 1 po bid (20 mg)
  • Zonisamide (Zonegran) 100 mg 1 po q AM + 2 po qhs (300 mg)
  • Alprazolam (Xanax) 2 mg 1 po qd prn
  • Benztropine (Cogentin) 2 mg ½-1 po bid prn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2016 at 1:11 PM, Ideacraft said:

I finally asked my PDoc to be taken off Vraylar - it made me feel catatonic and lifeless with no emotion. On that note, Abilify worked way better for me except for the 40 lbs I gained on it. But I didn't want to be on an anti-psychotic anymore so I convinced her to let me try something else. She put me on Lamictal. We'll see. Hope I don't get the "lamictal rash"!

 

On 6/19/2016 at 0:17 AM, Viper said:

I am trying Vraylar since doc suggested that she had better experience with it than Latuda.  I was on 80mg Latuda and tapered off to 20mg Latuda and then to 3mg Vraylar.

I am starting to feel more anxiety, but also have more energy to do things...feel less sedated/mediciney...I am having problems sleeping though even with Ambien.  I slept like a baby with Latuda, Viibryd, and Ambien.  Doctor also said that my blood pressure is HIGH...never had that..is Vraylar causing that?

 

On 4/9/2016 at 5:28 PM, Dusk said:

Sadly I had to go off Vraylar because I had a severe allergic reaction and the hospital Dr. thought this med is the cause of it. I'm so upset because I was doing so well on it.

What dose were you all taking? I'm immensely curious about this medication as I haven't taken it, but I'm wondering if it would be a more suitable alternative to some of my other medications. I'm reading a lot and I mean A LOT that would seem to indicate that this is the kind of medication that you start at 1.5mg and wait like 4-8 weeks before you decide whether or not you want to go to 3mg. Did you all go right to 3mg after a few days?

Bear with me here while I channel some of my hypomania through my inner amateur psychopharmacologist.

Vraylar has an insanely long half-life as @mjs190 was saying. This would mean that it's a lot like Prozac or even worse so in that it could take a really long time for you to even tell how good the 1.5mg was let alone the 3mg, and the Vraylar titration seems so fast and the target doses too high. Prozac, Abilify, Trinellix, Rexulti, and Vraylar are all examples of psych meds with hella long half lives. Admittedly, not as much historical data exists for the latter three. But for Prozac we know this to be a fact after YEARS of evidence to back it up: many people don't have the lights turned on upstairs until 4-6 weeks from initiation of therapy. We now theorize that part of this has to do with the receptor desensitization theory but we know that half-life plays a major role. For Abilify, the painting is different. Like other antipsychotics, it typically stabilizes mood pretty quickly but it doesn't reach stable blood levels until about 15 days which means that 5mg dose your pdoc started you on seems great now and feels like akathisia all over 2 weeks later. What if we applied what we learned from those lessons to Vraylar? Haven't we learned our lesson yet?

Okay I'm done now. Fingers are currently trying to catch their breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started 1.5mg Vraylar today. I will update in one week then again in two weeks. I'm getting off 5mg Abilify. I'm also on 200mg Wellbutrin 2x/day and Xanax 0.5mg 3x/day. I'm interested to see how this led does with my anxiety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...