CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Asho2345

Infatuations/Obsessions? *Possible trigger warning*

Not sure if this is the right area so you can move it if it isnt.

I feel like i jump from one infatuations/obsession kinda thing to another, used to be with knives and the compulsion to steal them and have them, got really bad, every time i would see a knife i just had to steal it, I also had no use for it, just needed them, also forensic equipment, fingerprinting stuff, photos of corpses and things like that, no actual use for that, just had the urge to buy and steal those types of things, has also been with drugs and locks. i dont know why or what to do? please help! is this to do with depression? I also used to have a lot of violent thoughts, i still do, playing situations out in my head and such, after an admission was diagnosed possible OCD could it be that?

Also note the knife one went on for a long time  but that was a year or so ago, other ones lasted long too.

Edited by Asho2345

I've noticed that when I become obsessed with something it is usually b/c I'm anxious and my mind is wandering around trying to find something to latch onto.  I tend to "think circularly" about various issues/objects, almost like a mental rocking back and forth.

I find using mindfulness techniques helpful...focusing on the now and how my body feels this minute.  I take some deep breaths and try to clear the tension from my body.  Often an issue will float to the surface that turns out to be what I'm actually worried about and I can then work on processing that instead of obsessing about objects.

Do you have a therapist and/or pdoc?  I think it would be very helpful to talk with them about your thoughts.

Sounds more along the lines of OCD than depression. I've never heard of those sorts of things with depression. It also sounds like it's causing quite a lot of distress too so that does sound like OCD.  It would be a good idea to talk to a professional about this. It might also be worth the time and money in investing in some self-help books about OCD too to try and combat this sort of behaviour.

I find when I don't get enough sleep, the paranoia and ruminating obsessional thoughts (for me) gets ultra worse.  Just wondering how your sleep has been.

11 hours ago, Phoenix_Rising said:

I've noticed that when I become obsessed with something it is usually b/c I'm anxious and my mind is wandering around trying to find something to latch onto.  I tend to "think circularly" about various issues/objects, almost like a mental rocking back and forth.

I find using mindfulness techniques helpful...focusing on the now and how my body feels this minute.  I take some deep breaths and try to clear the tension from my body.  Often an issue will float to the surface that turns out to be what I'm actually worried about and I can then work on processing that instead of obsessing about objects.

Do you have a therapist and/or pdoc?  I think it would be very helpful to talk with them about your thoughts.

yeh i have therapist that i see weekly, and a pdoc that i see every 1/2 months. Im going to talk to my therapist about it next appointment.

7 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

Sounds more along the lines of OCD than depression. I've never heard of those sorts of things with depression. It also sounds like it's causing quite a lot of distress too so that does sound like OCD.  It would be a good idea to talk to a professional about this. It might also be worth the time and money in investing in some self-help books about OCD too to try and combat this sort of behaviour.

I'll look into it, they probably have some in the mental health section of my city library so i'll probably start there

2 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I find when I don't get enough sleep, the paranoia and ruminating obsessional thoughts (for me) gets ultra worse.  Just wondering how your sleep has been.

I think it probably gets worse when i dont get enough sleep, I've been getting fairly good sleep lately, so i definitely think that helps a bit