netsavy006

Bifocals vs Trifocals vs Progressive Lenses

Which lens type do you prefer?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which lens type do you prefer?

• bifocals
    • trifocals
    • progressives

I would like to know from those who wear one of these types of lenses, which lens do you prefer (bifocals, trifocals, progressives) and why?

Thanks,
~ Andy

I wear progressives. My doctor recommended them and I like them because I can't even tell they have different focuses, it seems the same as when I just had regular.

I don't know, but I'm going to face this decision soon so I'm interested in the responses you get.

My mom wore bifocal's for a while, then got progressives, and really likes them. She works in IT, which means looking up at a computer screen for a long time, and found bifocals made her neck hurt, the way she had to look through them. She hasn't had any problem with her new progressives. It could have just been the design of the glasses, because she did get a new pair, not just new lenses.

I have always been really, really nearsighted. When I was younger I could read a book that was touching the end of my nose. Now I have to hold it about 2-3 inches away. When I saw my opthamologist last spring I think maybe he over-corrected my prescription, because now I can't read with either my contacts in or glasses on.  So I'm not sure what's going to happen next.

sorta late to the dance on this thread, but...............I have progressives.  However i need correction near, mid and far.  They can take a bit to get used to.  I had to get used to moving my head to see instead of my eyes.  I also have prisms in each lens to help my sight align.  I have noticed a massive difference between digital progressives and what ever the non digital are called.   Could be they are all digital at this point.  Looks like from your poll that the masses like progressives.

I know this an older thread, but since the question is semi related,  I didn't want to open a new thread.

If I chose bifocals,  I know they only have 2 focal points (distance and near).  With the distance on the top and the reading on the bottom,  which portion of the lens do you use for computer work?  Do you have to tilt your head a certain way (ex. tilt head back to utilize the reading portion) to use the computer with your bifocals?

Thanks in advance.

I got progressives six months ago and the optometrist recommended them in large part because they give me three ranges: the top for distance, the middle for computer work (roughly arms' length), and the bottom for close-up reading. In reality, things haven't worked quite that way. I find it really annoying to wear them when I'm doing close-up reading, and even a lot of computer work, because I am warm all the time, to the point where my glasses fog up. The glasses were very expensive, and if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have stuck with my old (regular) glasses for at least another year or two. If I wasn't so warm all the time, maybe I would have a different opinion.

Progressives win hands down.They give infinite focusing power at all 3 distances. Crizal is a coating that is applied to the lenses. It makes them easy to clean, no smudges, and no fogging up of the lenses. Suppresses glare,too. What is important is to use an optometrist that uses digital measurements for your glasses instead of manual measurements with a ruler. Manual measurements have too large a margin of error.

Sorry for "reviving" this old thread, but I figured since the questions related to this topic,  I'd keep everything in one thread.

It seems that progressives are the most favored by people here.  I just have 2 follow up questions for right now.

1.  How is the intermediate/computer vision in the lenses?

2.  How much did your progressives cost?

This is all I can think of for right now.  I appreciate all responses.

My intermediate/computer vision is fine with progressive glasses. I did have to adjust my seating and monitor position.

Since I had eyeglasses on our med plan and didn't need anything fancy, they were not expensive.

Prices have gone down in the last years, I think and hope. :-}

Another old thread on Progressive Glasses with lots of info.