CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
philosophin

Question for Those Dx'd with BPII

Were you diagnosed with MDD first, and if so, how long did it take under psychiatric care to have your dx changed to the correct one?  Me: Yes.  Finally dx'ed with BPII after 10 years under psychiatric care.  

Sigh.

Initially I was diagnosed with depression.  A few years later (about 4-5 years), based on symptoms changing, I was diagnosed with BP2 by pdoc.  For me it was because it was the symptoms changing over time.  There wasn't really a time-frame of a matter of years, unless I look back and figure it out that way.

Edited by melissaw72

Yes I was diagnosed with depression first then it was changed to bipolar 2 after a month and then bipolar with psychotic features and now it's bipolar/schizoaffective/schizophrenia/we can't make up our minds but we'll say schizoaffective. Apparently I've got other issues as well but they won't tell me what they are which makes me paranoid. What's so bad that I can't be told?

I was diagnosed with MDD. I was in and out of psychiatric care for 11 years, but I was consistently under care for a very short time before my diagnosis was changed. It was initially cyclothymia, but was quickly changed to BP II. I'm not sure what my current diagnosis is, though. Because I have psychosis, it may have been changed. Or the psychosis may be a separate thing. I really should ask.

I was straight to bipolar II... but only because I had spent years not wanting to go to the Dr's, and a family history of bipolar to shed some light

On April 8, 2016 at 8:18 PM, philosophin said:

Were you diagnosed with MDD first, and if so, how long did it take under psychiatric care to have your dx changed to the correct one?  Me: Yes.  Finally dx'ed with BPII after 10 years under psychiatric care.  

Sigh.

Well well well. I only got correctly diagnosed on sept 15th 2014.  I was mis diagnosed for 25 years.  No wonder I wasnt med compliant all those years.

Edited by dragonfly23

Oh geez...were you given solely antidepressants all those years?  I can't imagine that was good for your brain.  I was lucky and had an open-minded psychiatrist who put me on mood stabilizers even though my official dx for insurance purposes was "depression NOS" or something vague like that and he thought I was unipolar.  I guess maybe the "NOS" part gives them more latitude in what they prescribe maybe?  Just guessing here.

I have tried a gazillion ssri's as well as snri's.  Very guilty as far as self medicating goes.

Since I never stayed on anything long it was not an issue until I made up my mind that I needed help and stayed on prescribed ssri's.  By staying on them I got myself into the worst episode of my life.  It's taken almost two years to be as stable as I am now. Someday that is not saying much.

My current DX is bipolar NOS.. I was told the DX was for flexibility. purposes as far as treatment goes.

it makes a world of difference to be properly diagnosed doesn't it .?

2 minutes ago, dragonfly23 said:

Iit makes a world of difference to be properly diagnosed doesn't it .?

YES! :D  Hypomania can manifest itself in fairly subtle ways so it's good to be on the lookout for those things.

8 hours ago, Katg10 said:

I was straight to bipolar II... but only because I had spent years not wanting to go to the Dr's, and a family history of bipolar to shed some light

This was true for me as well. Although I've moved form Bipolar II to Bipolar NOS to Bipolar I.

Just to switch things up, I went from OCD to BPII (and then soon after that BPI). Didn't lose the OCD label though...

Diagnosed with depression at 10 but recall the psychiatrist warning my mom about "manic depression" (which I guess is what they used to call it). I don't know if he was implying I could have it, or if it was just a general warning. If it was the former, he was damn good to be able to diagnose that when I was so young.

Next psychiatrist in college mis-diagnosed Major Depressive Disorder, gave me Paxil, I had a (hypomanic) meltdown but he ignored that huge red flag and told me to keep taking it. I had such a huge flip-out that my mom flushed it down the toilet and told me not to go back.

I didn't see another psychiatrist until I was 28. She was an expert on mood disorders and correctly diagnosed Bipolar disorder and put me on an anti-psychotic.

I never stuck with psychiatric care in the past, and my diagnosis kept changing. There were 27 years between my first hospitalization and my first bipolar diagnosis.  MDD-->bipolar took 10 years, but I withheld info that would have almost certainly lead to a bipolar diagnosis rather than MDD.

Edited by Flash

BPI, then BPNOS, when that became a thing. Then @ age 35-40, somewhere in there, was finally Dx'd with BPII, got on Lamictal and life suddenly was reasonable--still shitty with chronic underemployment, injuries, etc. but the BP was undoing me a shit-ton less.

BPI, then BPNOS, when that became a thing. Then @ age 35-40, somewhere in there, was finally Dx'd with BPII, got on Lamictal and life suddenly was reasonable--still shitty with chronic underemployment, injuries, etc. but the BP was undoing me a shit-ton less.

I've been diagnosed with MDD for 11 years.  I've suspected that I have some flavor of BP for years, but no pdoc "could see it in me."  Plus, my family doesn't believe in psych meds or labels, so I spent a lot of time trying to cure myself with vitamins, religion, and willpower. 

Yesterday, pdoc said I should be off all AD's and on a mood stabilizer.  Go figure.

I havent been diagnosed yet but I think I have it- Been on antidepressants for 20 years. Now im on so many meds I feel like my brain is frying-sigh.

22 minutes ago, foxymophandlemama said:

Depression and anxiety (on meds for about 12 years). Now Bipolar II, on a beginning dose of Lamictal but it seems to be making things worse...

For me the titration on lamictal was very very hard, but worth it in the end. Hope it works for you.

• Like 1

I agree with dragonfly. Titrating up is a bitch. You will probably have a number of side effects until you find the dosage that is right for you. I had a lot of side effects until I reached about 125mg, but now I am actually on 400mg. I didn't struggle with the rises after the initial titration.

If you have questions about Lamictal, a good place to post might be in our mood stabilizer forums.