CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
philosophin

Question for Those Dx'd with BPII

I was dx with depression when I was 22, not my first episode but severe enough that I was in the middle of dropping out of college, and the psychiatrist and disability office made an attempt to save my schooling, it didn't help.  They put me on Paxil which switched me to hypomania (I didn't know that's what it was) I stopped the drug on my own and continued with life, dropping out of college.

Over the years I've managed on my own, being told I wasn't sick enough to need any help.  Including a couple of years ago when I went to hospital at the urging of a friend and was told I wasn't sick enough to help.  Then the out patient doctor they referred me to said I was fine but he could refer me to a psychiatrist for a follow up in a year.  I had a panic attack in his office and he put me out into the hallway. I made it to the elevators and broke down in front of everyone there.  A nurse came out and to save them embarrassment brought me back to psych emergency.  I was 36, they wanted to refer me to first episode psychosis but the cut off was 35.  They thought maybe Schizoaffective.  Then I finally a few months later got in with a regular psychiatrist who dx me with BP II.  That was two years ago, 14 years after my first psychiatrist visit.

I still find the system hard to navigate and so long as the rent is paid no one cares what you might be going through.  I've never been in patient, maybe that is where people get the most accurate diagnosis?

Edited by Iowella

25 minutes ago, Iowella said:

I was dx with depression when I was 22, not my first episode but severe enough that I was in the middle of dropping out of college, and the psychiatrist and disability office made an attempt to save my schooling, it didn't help.  They put me on Paxil which switched me to hypomania (I didn't know that's what it was) I stopped the drug on my own and continued with life, dropping out of college.

Over the years I've managed on my own, being told I wasn't sick enough to need any help.  Including a couple of years ago when I went to hospital at the urging of a friend and was told I wasn't sick enough to help.  Then the out patient doctor they referred me to said I was fine but he could refer me to a psychiatrist for a follow up in a year.  I had a panic attack in his office and he put me out into the hallway. 

I dropped out of grad school at 23 because of severe depression.  I was dx'ed with severe MDD by a school psychiatrist but I refused meds or treatment of any kind and immediately dropped out of school.  I was far too overwhelmed by despair to start a PhD program.

And that Dr. sounds like an a-hole...I've had a Dr. make me full on bawl before because she was super rude, arrogant, and dismissive but it was a dermatologist lol...

1 hour ago, philosophin said:

I dropped out of grad school at 23 because of severe depression.  I was dx'ed with severe MDD by a school psychiatrist but I refused meds or treatment of any kind and immediately dropped out of school.  I was far too overwhelmed by despair to start a PhD program.

And that Dr. sounds like an a-hole...I've had a Dr. make me full on bawl before because she was super rude, arrogant, and dismissive but it was a dermatologist lol...

When I got my first diagnosis which was depression, the psychiatrist told me that it was my own fault that I had depression and that I was brain damaged. When I tried to tell him about other symptoms that I was having (hearing voices, paranoia, delusions,) he dismissed me with a wave of his hand and said no no and then got up and walked out of the room. I was so disgusted I asked to be discharged from hospital but obviously I wasn't ready because a few weeks later I was readmitted. There are some doctors out there who are real pricks. 

9 hours ago, Iowella said:

Over the years I've managed on my own, being told I wasn't sick enough to need any help.  Including a couple of years ago when I went to hospital at the urging of a friend and was told I wasn't sick enough to help.  Then the out patient doctor they referred me to said I was fine but he could refer me to a psychiatrist for a follow up in a year.  I had a panic attack in his office and he put me out into the hallway. I made it to the elevators and broke down in front of everyone there.  A nurse came out and to save them embarrassment brought me back to psych emergency.  I was 36, they wanted to refer me to first episode psychosis but the cut off was 35.  They thought maybe Schizoaffective.  Then I finally a few months later got in with a regular psychiatrist who dx me with BP II.  That was two years ago, 14 years after my first psychiatrist visit.

I still find the system hard to navigate and so long as the rent is paid no one cares what you might be going through.  I've never been in patient, maybe that is where people get the most accurate diagnosis?

That really sounds messed up!  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  I never knew there was a "cut-off" age for psychosis (first episode or not)?  A follow-up to see a pdoc in a YEAR??  I'm glad you finally have a good pdoc now.

7 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

When I got my first diagnosis which was depression, the psychiatrist told me that it was my own fault that I had depression and that I was brain damaged. When I tried to tell him about other symptoms that I was having (hearing voices, paranoia, delusions,) he dismissed me with a wave of his hand and said no no and then got up and walked out of the room. I was so disgusted I asked to be discharged from hospital but obviously I wasn't ready because a few weeks later I was readmitted. There are some doctors out there who are real pricks. 

I completely agree with you!  I would have reported that DR to HR.  I sometimes say I will but don't, but with this one I definitely would have.

• Like 1

I knew I was depressed, but didn't seek care for many, many years. Finally saw a pdoc who gave me diagnosis of MDD plus various others I thought were wrong. I told him things I now think were clearly hypomanic or mixed symptoms, but he didn't recognize them. Finally, my insurance changed just as I went into a manic episode, and my new pdoc figured it out. That was after 20 years of psychiatric care. Correct meds have made a huge difference. Am I bitter about how my life got messed up due to poor diagnosing? I try to move on and not think about it. No idea why it took so long. I guess I should be grateful someone finally figured it out. I see I have lots of company, too. 

I think it's ridiculous and I'm saddened that there are professional psychiatrists out there who act in this manner.

The First Episode Psychosis was a treatment and educational program that they wanted to refer me to, but it's for ages 16-35.  I was a few months too late.

In Canada the wait for a regular psychiatrist can be up to a year unless you are admitted to hospital.

The other thing is I'm not sure how we are supposed to be able to describe our symptoms adequately when living with and adapting to certain things over a lifetime that are distressing (to me) but not debilitating (IE somehow I still manage to work even if my work history is completely chaotic).  I also worry that these things will get worse with age and that I might not have good supports in place to deal with that.

Yes I was dx'd with MDD first. And getting to the Bipolar II was difficult because of the overlapping symptoms with my ADHD. It took almost 6 years of continuous psychiatric monitoring + a new pdoc + a very distinct mixed episode to get my diagnosis.

Edited by ahalo

I was diagnosed with MMD in November 1996. I had several episodes of depression on top of chronic dysthymia and some borderline traits.

I had what i now believe was a hypomanic episode in 1998. However i don't think my pdoc realised this?? I was simply treated with diazepam and temazepam and eventually it went away.

Between 2000 and 2003 I was relatively stable but my mood did swing a bit with overactivity and insomnia.

In 2003 I had my first recognised hypomanic episode and was diagnosed with bipolar 2.

So it was almost 7 years after being diagnosed with MDD that I was diagnosed with bipolar.

I must add however that mostly my hypomanic symptoms were mild and even subtle and did not effect my ability to function.

Also During this time I was not seeing a pdoc so maybe the GP just didn't see it. 

Over time that evolved into Bipolar 1as I experienced manic and mixed episodes

Edited by rowan77
Left info out