CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Quoa

What exactly do people mean when they say topamax makes you "stupid"?

Recently my doctor added topamax to my existing buspirone and welbutrin prescriptions. This is primarily for weight loss and treatment of binge eating episodes, along with other benefits like being relatively inexpensive. I had started out on 25mg twice a day and after sleeping more or less all day straight the first three days and some digestive effects in the first couple of weeks I seem to have settled down to no side effects. Today he doubled my dosage after I seemed to be responding to the medication and reported the lack of side effects.

While I realize I'm still on a very low dosage and I for the most part trust my doctor's assessment that at this point the risk of developing noticeable side effects is still low, given all the various fun things on the list I am starting to become concerned about the possibility. So reading over the list again today it occurred to me that I don't actually know what exact symptoms are being described by stupid or cognitive impairment. Possibilities I can think of include working memory issues, attention or concentration deficit, difficulty with mathematical thought, and just a general slowing of thought processes independent of any memory issues. I'm sure I could think of more things that could fit the description if I spent a bit more time on it. Can anyone help with clearing things up a bit?

I have a lot of problems with word recall. I'll be mid sentence and just forget the word for something common I should know. I forget a lot of things in general.

Problems with word recall, problems with short-term memory, problems holding ideas in one's head ... that sort of stuff. You can get it on just about all of the antiseizure drugs, but Topamax is considered one of the worst in that regard. I did not have those problems on Topamax (though I was on it a short time). My downfall was Gabatril.

43 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:

I have a lot of problems with word recall. I'll be mid sentence and just forget the word for something common I should know. I forget a lot of things in general.

Exactly this. ^^

I fifth on word recall.

Also... walking into a room and not knowing why you did, holding an item and have no idea what it's for (or it's name), having a conversation and having no clue what they are talking about (no matter how simple), listening to conversation and missing 90% of what was said ...stuff like that. And I have some of these symptoms already, but Topamax just made them way worse.

I'm pretty sure "aphasia" is the term for the word recall problems.  

It was the worst symptom for me as well.  Once I got up to 100-200 mgs a day I had some major brain fog but it went away after a couple months.  

I had aphasia, but after I was on it for a while, it went away. I took 400mg.

It's jokingly called "dopeamax".

Oh boy this should be a fun ride. I most of those to varying degrees beyond what normal people seem to have already. Probably the ADHD Inattentive Type, depending on which doctor you want to believe about my diagnoses anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mjs190
      I'm currently on a cocktail of Seroquel XR at 600 mg and Lamictal at 150 mg. My Seroquel dose got this high because of a mixed episode, so as of now, thats likely where I'll stay for a while to keep things stable. I was at 400 mg which not only lacked the sedation of lower doses, but also came with a lessened appetite. But that all came back when I bumped up to 600 mg.
      I've put on 10-ish pounds or so in a month, and I'm not thrilled. I asked my doctor for a Metformin Rx to help with the metabolic side effects. She was hesitant, but agreed I may need something and actually leaned more towards Topamax instead. She wants me to try 1 more month of dieting and exercise to see if I can manage without adding another med.
      Now I'm leaning towards Topamax, since maybe it could have mood stabilizing properties to it, in addition to curbing appetite and helping me lose weight. I'm not overweight by any means, but I'm definitely hyper-vigilant about my body and tend to...obsess. 
      Has anyone taken Topamax and found that it (1) helped with appetite or weight control and (2) had positive effects on their illness?
    • By Poem
      Hello, it has been awhile!
      Well, my old psychiatrist retired and I am now stuck with a new one. A tele-med provider. Without really letting me know if they read my chart (they even made mistakes when asking what meds I was on now) they prescribed me topamax to take alongside my usual anxiety med due to (duh) increase in anxiety. They said the added benefit would be that I would be able to lose weight as well, since my previous meds made me...ahem, chunky. And I told them I have body issues.
      Here's the thing. I did a little research about the weight loss and all studies said that it was beneficial to those who were bulimic or over eaters. I have history, and deal with restrictive eating. Making my appetite less would be a very stupid move in my opinion. My other concern is that there is a side effect where your eyes can suffer permanent damage. Not likely of course, but it is noted. I have a degenerative eye problem and I feel that it would be risky to  take something that could make my eyesight worse. Of course there is the caveat that if I notice anything like that I can stop the med, but would my eyes regain the vision they "lost"?
      I talked to a pharmacist today and they told me it would be very unlikely that I would have any visions problems other than blurriness and that most symptoms are dizziness, hard time focusing, etc the usual. They kind of glossed over the eating part too, saying to just talk to my provider. I have an appointment in a month, and with the Holidays coming up, I decided not to start taking the topamax so as not to ruin any festivities I hope to have with my family.
      I guess I just needed to vent a bit because it doesn't seem like my new provider is listening to what I have to tell them...since they keep asking me things that are in my chart already! I miss my old psychiatrist a lot, and don't like this new tele-med set up. In any case, I would love to hear from others who have taken topamax for anxiety and how it worked for them. I know everyone is different, but I'd like to get some feedback nonetheless.
      Poem
    • By Alexir
      Hi, I'm a new member. Former English professor, had to shift to train for another career after long-term unemployment and still looking. I'm also an author of horror and fantasy books. I joined up here because I'm looking for some help after withdrawing from the SSRI Lexapro. The only thing worse than the side effects that caused me to quit are the withdrawal symptoms. I'm three months in and seriously wondering if I have cognitive impairment. It's as if somebody took my emotions and put them on a dimmer switch. Everything is numbed out. Lexapro causes such radical changes to the brain that withdrawal seems to be especially fraught with complications, and I'm afraid I may have tapered down too quickly--over five days, after taking it about three months. The immediate result was horrific, as though my brain were on fire. That burning sensation lessened, but was replaced by a sort of emotional numbness. I know that Lexapro controls blood flow to the limbic system, which is the site of emotions, and wonder if it's possible I sustained damage from pulling the plug too quickly. Thanks. 
    • By chrispvt
      Hi - started and stopped topamax 4 years ago after a three month trial of hell. I experienced all the terrible side effects like Alice in Wonderland, suicidal depression/thoughts, inability to sleep, etc. What I noticed after detoxing was that I experienced a metallic smell sometimes after getting up after lying down or bending over and toeing my shoe for instance. This has continued over the last four years and it is very brief but reminds me of the metallic taste associated with the drug. 
      Given that information, I have also experienced extreme drug hypersensitivity since stopping Topamax. I have trialed 10+ other drugs and experience the same intolerable side effects on the lowest of doses. Side effects include racing heart, palpitations, and muscle or subclavian vein or arterial tremors across the left upper chest. Eventually after 3-5 days on every drug (Klonopin, Depakote, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Nori/Ami, verapamil, etc.),this effect occurs where it seems like my system becomes overloaded and I experience withdrawl and inefficacy of the medicine similar to stopping an SSRI without the brain zaps. Thus, every drug works for my migraine condition but is intolerable after a handful of days.
      FEEDBACK HERE PLEASE: My hypothesis is that Topamax has permanently affected my l-type voltage calcium channels, sodium channels, GABA and/or something else, and thus why I experience this same effect with every medicine and why I have the metallic smell still since taking the medicine. I am sure my neurologist would think I am crazy but these are the same asses that said my migraine vertigo/vestibular migraine disorder was simply anxiety or allergies. I use to heavily "experiment/use" pharmas recreationally and now I cannot tolerate even a .5mg or .25mg of Klonopin once a day. This is simply unbelievable to me and the above is the only potenial reason why aside from some type of brain change due to the migraine disorder.
      REFERENCES BELOW.
      I would appreciate any feedback on my hypothesis and potential methods to detox even given the long period of time since ingesting this terrible mess.
      a)Voltage Dependent Calcium Channel Blockers
      b)Negative modulatory effect on L-type calcium channels
      Thanks!
    • By dragonfly23
      After an absolute horrid vacation with my spouse I basically said either you go or we go to counseling..  I also asked him to make the appointment cus her replies on me to do too much.  
      It appears I am different on meds, I am not who I was.  I am bipolar so completely nuts at all time.     
      I am not.  I am stable and he is an asshole.  
      So my ? is:    have you done marriage counseling?  did you find it worth while?
      Any info surrounding this topic is appreciated.