CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
ahalo

Hypomania episode

I'm pretty sure I'm hypomanic at the moment. It's been awhile since this happened, and in the past it presented differently. But today I could barely sit still, I woke up after little sleep all amped up, talking a mile a minute, can't sleep tonight, thoughts racing. I don't even remember how to handle this type of episode. I'm on my meds but I feel like I can't handle this very well. Very anxious, it's almost like how I felt when I had akathesia with Geodon, in terms of physically not being able to sit without feeling extremely uncomfortable. Any advice?? I'm off benzos at the moment. My sleep meds don't work during times like this. I have extreme sleep issues anyway, so this on top of it makes it nearly impossible to sleep. Thanks

What do you find relaxing? Playing on the computer? Watching tv?  Try taking some deep breaths.  It really calms me to be outside, feeling the wind and the sun.  If this continues, I would consider calling my pdoc.

I agree, you should call your pdoc.  Your description of symptoms sounds very similar to my last hypomanic episode, which I call "anxious hypo."  Are you struggling with being productive and functioning?  Because that happened to me as well.  I was all revved up, but my energy and thoughts were scattered all over the place, making goal-driven behavior difficult.

I know how uncomfortable you must feel, but hang in there!  

If only there were an easy answer to this question! One thing you can maybe do is exercise. Burn off some extra energy and give your body a fighting chance at sleeping.

I've been doing a lot of cleaning, but because of my physical problems I'm now in a lot of pain especially my knees and lower back. And still barely sleeping. This was the second morning in a row that I woke up at 4:30 am, after going to sleep at 11pm the night before last and close to 2 last night. So I am getting some sleep, and even dozing off during the day inbetween bouts of energy. At this point though I'm not having any destructive behaviors and I really guess I don't mind that I'm more motivated to clean, so I don't know that I need to contact my pdoc as of yet. In my most recent episodes (the last being 8 months ago) I've made some bad decisions but this time it's not like that.

I just want to agree with calling your pdoc.  Maybe pdoc can prescribe a PRN for all of this until your next appt.  Or, maybe pdoc has a cancellation appt and he could see you sooner.

Is this something you go through where you'll crash afterwards?

I hope you start to feel more stable soon. 

Don't delay calling your pdoc just because you want to clean (and believe me, I totally get that). Things can spiral out of control very quickly. And it is always easier to treat episodes when they are "new." The anxiety is concerning. You don't want to end up in a mixed episode.

I agree with crtclms about treating the episode early on. I know it's tempting to let it go so that you can clean, etc., but things can spiral out of control pretty fast.

I hAve a love / hate relationship with that feeling.  I get things done but I also make costly decisions if it's bad. It eventually causes panic attacks for me

Call your doc and clean while you wait....

It sounds weird but I have a hypo book hidden in the cupboard; whenever I have a brilliant internal monologue going on I write it out, as if I was going to give a speech.  It helps to guide my obviously brilliant mind, and stops me ruminating too much. I re-read it sometimes and try and keep up with the logic, with mixed results :)

UPDATE: I got through the episode without having to call my pdoc. I'm fairly proud of myself. Sometimes in that state of mind I make bad decisions and I can say I didn't this time. I was aware of what was going on and I think for the first time in a long time I fought any urges I had to make those decisions (in the past it's been things like impulsive stealing for example). I'll take cleaning over risky behavior anytime, and hey for once it accomplished something. But my body didn't like it, so at my next appointment I think I'm going to discuss a different antipsychotic. At the place I go to, they believe for some reason that Abilify and my Ritalin LA interact, so won't raise my Abilify past 10 mg. I was on 25 or 35 mg in the past and that helped but this 10 mg thing doesn't.

Now I'm at that sort of apathy stage that I feel could slip into depression but again, being aware of it is helping me. I'm working on genealogy and I find that to be a very good distraction from getting too caught up in how I feel. I'm not as interested in things that I usually am, but the distraction keeps me from thinking about it too much. I'm really really trying to control my urges on both sides. Of course I couldn't do it without my meds, but I feel like definitely this go around was milder than my other experiences the last couple of years. I can feel the depression creeping in and that's going to be more difficult to control and it's been awhile since I have felt like this so I'll call my pdoc. I know it sounds contradictory (if that's the right word) to not call when I was hypomanic, but my "rebound" depression can be a b*tch. and I don't want to risk that. I have too many responsibilities and I can't go to the psych ward.

I'm glad you made it through it all, and that you had insight along the way :)