CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pearly

The meds have killed everything i ever felt

My sex drive is no longer there anymore, i was messaging a few people on dating sites they told me to stop messaging them, things generally arn't looking up. I mean I just feel ugly as crap. The energy has been sucked out of me.

So you are depressed? I would call your pdoc. A crash is not unusual.

And you can't base your entire self-worth on the response you get from dating sites. I really think you should step away from the dating sites until you are a little more stable.

• Like 1

if you're taking antidepressants, losing all feeling and drive is one of the most common and pernicious side effects

also evidence suggests it can be permanent, even after discontinuing

but such is life

*sigh* well i don't mean it in that sense. I mean I just don't feel any desire or energy for sex or finding relationships anymore... that's all but if I tried then it's not like I'm completely numbed. it's just the thoughts i am not on an antidepressant but i definately need one.

Edited by Pearly

41 minutes ago, identity said:

also evidence suggests it can be permanent, even after discontinuing

This is not true. I hope you are not getting your "evidence" off WIkipedia. Otherwise, post your peer-reviewed sources.

7 minutes ago, jt07 said:

This is not true. I hope you are not getting your "evidence" off WIkipedia. Otherwise, post your peer-reviewed sources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18173768

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262926791_One_hundred_and_twenty_cases_of_enduring_sexual_dysfunction_following_treatment

honestly

it's like you people just refuse to accept that drugs which work by some mystical mechanism we don't really understand at all could possibly have unintentional side effects

you're probably going to ask me to provide more sources now, right? and continuously find problems with any source i provide?

classic

i told you the risks, if you don't want to accept them then don't, but don't argue with me about it, because i'm done

eta: also i'm transgender and had persistent side effects from taking dutasteride hoping for hair regrowth, lucky me

but cycling gabapentin at a moderately high dose a couple times, each for a week, seems to have led to a recovery, somehow, or at least as near as i can figure that was the trigger for my recovery

some weird epigenetic or endocrinological reset or something idfk

Edited by identity
  • Like 1

No, you made an extraordinary claim, and the onus is on you to prove it. We don't have to take your word for anything.

And a few case studies out of millions who take these meds proves exactly what?

10 minutes ago, jt07 said:

No, you made an extraordinary claim, and the onus is on you to prove it. We don't have to take your word for anything.

And a few case studies out of millions who take these meds proves exactly what?

"you're probably going to ask me to provide more sources now, right? and continuously find problems with any source i provide?

classic

i told you the risks, if you don't want to accept them then don't, but don't argue with me about it, because i'm done"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Edited by identity

Yikes, those are scary articles.

Pearly... I remember you were having some issues with hypersexuality recently. I agree with crtclms that you could be coming down from that high. Do you have a therapist or someone who you can talk to about this change? Or who could have some outside insight into your mood?

• Like 1

No bias at all. You made an extraordinary claim and you failed to prove it. The most you can say from your case studies is that it is a side effect that occurs at a rate much, much less than 1% of the time, and even that is not proven.

As far as finding problems with studies ... that is how science is done. Try learning some.

15 minutes ago, jt07 said:

No bias at all. You made an extraordinary claim and you failed to prove it. The most you can say from your case studies is that it is a side effect that occurs at a rate much, much less than 1% of the time, and even that is not proven.

As far as finding problems with studies ... that is how science is done. Try learning some.

"extraordinary"

medications having side effects is not an extraordinary claim

the fact that you consider such a mundane thing to be extraordinary proves you are coming from a position of entrenched bias

or is it the persistence part that bothers you?

in that case, would you like to go read about the persistent encephalopathy and cerebellar dysfunction which can be caused by lithium, or the permanent changes to GABA receptor density caused by binge drinking, or the nasty long-term memory deficits which sometimes follow neuroleptic malignant syndrome? or maybe the mild psychotic symptoms linked to certain general anaesthetics which are no longer so favoured as a result (ketamine, phencycladine)? or, oh dear, how about the evidence that long-term use of pain medications can lead to irreversible chronic pain upon discontinuation?

jfc why am i giving you the time of day

eta: and if you're about to say "then find more studies!" fuck you, i already gave you studies documenting the effect exists, you are just choosing to discard them because you don't like the claim being made

Edited by identity

The extraordinary claim was not that medications have side effects, but that medications have persistent sexual side effects. That is the extraordinary claim and you have presented it as something to fear when, if it even exists at all, your chances of developing it are nearly nil.

And I don't know why you are giving me the time of day. Just leave already.

Pearly, I can see why, now that your hypersexuality and mania are possibly being reigned in by meds, why perusing dating sites no longer gives you that "rewarding" feeling.  It must be disappointing to have that source of gratification missing, even though it wasn't healthy.  I have to back what aura said--do you have a tdoc?  If not, you are missing a major component of treatment that most people need in order to reach optimal levels of recovery.

22 minutes ago, toast said:

But therein lies the problem itself. You can't lump all people together. If you say the entire FDA, or whatever agencies involved in the drug approval process are corrupt, then you have to be able to single out individuals. Unfortunately, that's not how bureaucracies work.

Ultimately, as consumers, we do have the power. But, it's a slow process to change institutions. Also, pharma companies have lots of lobbying power.

Ok, so FDA is made of people, we essentially all make mistakes.

Loads of what we now call dangerous narcotics not long ago were FDA approved as pharmaceutical - therapeutical drugs.

We are learning as species.

If I could bet I would bet that a lot of the drugs we use today for our treatments will be banned.

I have here access to some drugs that are FDA banned but in Canada, Japan, some European countries those same medicines are still in use.

I think this has a mid ground.

I think the case here is, the person come from a probably manic related symptoms which had a lot of libido on it.

Libido is a ton of times not related to something tangible as chemicals.

They did not invented a pill to cure human condition.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

12 hours ago, philosophin said:

Pearly, I can see why, now that your hypersexuality and mania are possibly being reigned in by meds, why perusing dating sites no longer gives you that "rewarding" feeling.  It must be disappointing to have that source of gratification missing, even though it wasn't healthy.  I have to back what aura said--do you have a tdoc?  If not, you are missing a major component of treatment that most people need in order to reach optimal levels of recovery.

Nothings the same. I feel like i am back to square one. I feel ugly and fat. And this, I guess, is me again. But i am always so tired. I do not have a tdoc. I work and the tdoc appointments are during the working hours. I might have to go private.

Edited by Pearly

1 hour ago, Pearly said:

Nothings the same. I feel like i am back to square one. I feel ugly and fat. 

Could you consider that this is your illness talking and not how things are in reality? MI lies all the time. Whether it wants you to think that you are a great big zero or whether it wants you to believe that you are master of the universe, it lies. Neither extreme is likely to be true. 

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Could you consider that this is your illness talking and not how things are in reality? MI lies all the time. Whether it wants you to think that you are a great big zero or whether it wants you to believe that you are master of the universe, it lies. Neither extreme is likely to be true. 

No I did not think of that @jt07 i don't feel depressed just a bit numb mentally like nothing matters.