CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Pearly

Did anyone ever start off with a misdiagnosis of schizophrenia?

My first dx was schiz back in 2010. I was positive it was a mood ep that led to it. But they couldn't give me an answer for certain. Few years passed and that changed to schizoaffective. I've had no psychosis since the first one 6 yrs ago but i believe i have bp1 they're just doing the tests now... i guess i'll have a clearer picture soon.

I had several wrong diagnoses, plus what I consider a partial diagnosis. Not schizophrenia, but it's not unusual to pick up a few diagnoses as you navigate the system. Mainly, if they get the meds right, that's the most helpful part. 

Hmmm my diagnoses started as a possibility for something related to schizophrenia that turned out to be defined as a briefly induced psychotic episode the mania was pulled out of it. Looking back on that episode, it contained a bunch of symptoms related to mania and OCD, but mostly I become paranoid with delusions of references, which doesn't exclude mania related symptoms.

This is why most of the doctor don't diagnoses after a single episode.

I heard a doctor once saying that the diagnose for MI works similar to prognoses since it has no laboratory test to identify it, that's probably why, trough observation and the talk between the patient they tend to come to a more accurate diagnoses.

This year, for a briefly time my pdoc cogitated the possibility that I could be bipolar II instead of I mostly because of my reaction to the treatment. From everything that I read about it I strongly disagree, this isn't mentioned anymore since it went back to symptoms related to bipolar I.

After something around schizophrenia I got prognoses on GAD spectrum but for more than a year it wasn't conclude, I eventually gave up on the treatment because I wasn't improving and my anxiety wasn't impairing me.

After half a decade without episodes related to mania and/or psychoses. I had two more episodes in a short period of time and after that the majority of the doctor that I went come to bipolar I diagnose.

I decided after those episodes to stick with the treatment, for me it was clearly that something was going on and had a pattern. I wasn't worried about the name of it but the space between those episodes shrunk about a year and I cannot say I fully recovered from the second episode to the next one.

Here where I live I'm positive doctors don't do an extra of adding the "with or without psychotic symptoms" on bipolar exception is in hospitalization, because from what I'm seeing pdocs here come to an agreement that bipolar I comes with psychotic mania and/or depression specially without treatment.

I have hard times seeing mania as something different from a kind of psychoses.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

7 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

I had several wrong diagnoses, plus what I consider a partial diagnosis. Not schizophrenia, but it's not unusual to pick up a few diagnoses as you navigate the system. Mainly, if they get the meds right, that's the most helpful part. 

^^ I agree.

I was basically diagnosed with everything before I was diagnosed as Schizoaffective disorder. After I was finally put on an anti-psychotic, a mood stabilizer and anti-depressant which helped to relieve most of my symptoms.