CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

I just saw a story on the national news tonight about the FDA requiring the makers of Abilify to add compulsive behaviors to the patient insert for Abilify as a rare side effect.

They were interviewing a woman who after she started taking Abilify she ended up with a gambling addiction and lost over $150,000.

If you want more info, just google abilify compulsive and there are a number of articles.

Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist. These warnings already exist on full dopamine agonists.

I have hypersexuality (most of the time), another possible (rare) SE of Abilify that fits in with the whole "compulsive behavior" thing.  And no, I'm not currently hypo.

I have seen TV ads for a class action lawsuit against the makers of Abilify for the compulsive gambling thing.

8 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Abilify made me so manic. I went on a shopping spree and was extremely hypersexual. I didn't sleep for a week and ended up in the hospital.

That sucks.  I'm sorry that happened.  I can understand why you were in the hospital.

Fortunately I don't have the side effects you mention.  I have been on Abilify for 13 years without a problem, and hope as the years go by my behaviors stay as they are now. 

To me it just makes sense that a med that has proven itself to raise people out of the pits of depression would have this effect in some people. I can see it happening. Abilify is a big motivator for me and also helps my anhedonia. No other med has done that. If I were in to gambling, I think it would really increase that.