CrazyBoards.org

Would risperdal be suitable for prn use for anxiety?, thinking like similar to how you'd use xanax.

This is my experience so yours might differ but I find it helps a little with anxiety, not a whole lot but a bit. I still have to result to other methods to calm down in order to do what I need to do.

• Like 1

My experience was that Risperdal did nothing for my anxiety at all.

• Like 1

Based on my experiences with it, if I took it as a PRN, all it would do is give me a stuffy nose and make me feel drunk. In the short-term Risperidone just felt like a very weird benzo. Like if you consider a tranquilizer dart to be good for anti-anxiety, then Risperdal might be an agreeable PRN for you. I didn't notice any genuine anti-anxiety relief until I had been on it for a week. 

My experiences on Zyprexa were a little different, though. I think Zyprexa could make a decent PRN. When I was on 10mg, I would feel the relief within an hour of taking it.

In the sense that taking even a small dose of it would knock me out, yes...but I couldn't have used it during the day if I wanted to remain functional. 

It might help. When I was taking it, I took it as a PRN as well but that was for psychotic symptoms. I've heard of pdocs prescribing one half to one mg for anxiety and depression. The drug acts differently at different doses.

I have to take Risperdal daily for it to make a difference for me, but I have anxiety, GAD, panic attacks, and OCD. It might be different for you. I take it near bedtime. I've been on and off of it but I've in back on it for about a month now at 1 mg.

• Like 1

When I have been mixed or manic, I usually take it to stomp on the symptoms, take it for about a month, and then go off of it. So not exactly PRN, but a limited time-span.

I was on it as a "replacement" for Latuda for several months, and it just made me depressed.

• Like 1

I started taking risperidone for anxiety and trust me, it IS NOT worth it at all. It definately annialates your libido, and could very well kill your emotions, creativity, and intelligence to a great extent like it did to me. I would stay away from all antipsychotics unless you have severe schizophrenia or bpd.

• Like 1