CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
dragonfly23

Most fucked up thing a medical professional said to you.

Putting aside being mis-diagnosed for decades what was the most fucked up thing that you were told by Pdoc's, Tdoc's or any other so called support people?

Me: I was in the hospital after having 2 grand mal seizures. I was curled up in a ball with my hoodie and sunglasses and refusing to remove them. Refusing to eat. I was delusional and only had been eating one type of food for over a week. It was the only "safe" food. I was crying uncontrollably. Due to the seizure issue a Pdoc from the psych department came to me to do an assessment. 

I was already diagnosed with MDD years ago. After asking many questions her conclusion was that I was bored.

Really bitch, bored. Yep this is what I do for fun.

Edited by dragonfly23

A pdoc from about 10 years ago. He also did therapy (or at least he thought he did), during a deep depression he came to the conclusion that I needed to find joy in doing the dishes. I left thereafter.

To make it worse, he was a dead ringer for Trump, with a really bad toupee.

• Like 1

When I had to go to the ER for stitches, the doctor who was assessing me was speaking to the nurse and said, "If only this girl would have gone deeper; it would saved us a lot of trouble." 

I haven't gone to the ER for stitches since, even when I might have needed them. 

Edited by Angeni Mai
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angeni Mai said:

When I had to go to the ER for stitches, the doctor who was assessing me was speaking to the nurse and said, "If only this girl would have gone deeper; it would saved us a lot of trouble." 

I haven't gone to the ER for stitches since, even when I might have needed them. 

That's fucked up. If they find people with injuries to be such a damn burden maybe they should reconsider what they want to do with their lives, you know, to save them a lot of trouble.

• Like 2

One pdoc of mine was fond of saying, "Anyone in your position would be feeling bad." Of course, he thought he was being validating, but I didn't want to be validated on this. I wanted someone to tell me that things weren't as bad as I was seeing them to be. It's like me saying, "I have a crap life" with his response, "you sure do."

• Like 2

When I was in crisis and trying to find a pdoc..the pdoc I saw said I was too put together and attractive to have mental health condition..he also said that it sounded like I've just had a string of bad luck...he ended up prescribing Risperdone though..but it was seriously one messed up appointment..a waste of the $350 we had to scrounge up..man that was bad..never went back..

• Like 1

the pdoc that eventually did the on-floor evaluation after we'd been IVC'd (and had been in the ER for over 72 hrs): "why are you even here? you're not delusional or suicidal or homicidal...but with this IVC paperwork, i've got to keep you here. oh well."

• Like 2

I had a back operation and after I was in incredible pain, I was literally screaming. They sent in a doctor who looked at my chart, saw that I was bipolar and said I get no pain medication because I was faking and just wanted drugs and sent in a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist ended up yelling at him and basically telling him he was uneducated and a fool and to give me some morphine. I ended up taking pain meds for a few months and did not abuse them or get addicted.  I didn't like that psychiatrist before, but after that I loved her. 

• Like 3

I'm fortunate enough to not have anything that immediately comes into my head with respect to me.  I was in the hospital when someone else experienced this level of idiocy, however.  My then girlfriend had taken (prescription) Marinol (which is related to marijuana, but legally prescribed because of necessity) and her regular nighttime medication.  About an hour or so later, she started showing symptoms that were really concerning and different from prior experiences...things like slurred speech to the point of almost not being comprehensible, awful headache that was heading toward migraine, an inability to stay awake and a likelihood of temporarily stopping breathing while she crashed and was out of it, etc.  [Things that when I later checked with a different person who's in training to be a medic were told to be red flags for things like a stroke, seizure, bad medication reaction causing CNS depression, or any number of neurological or other physical conditions that were urgent to at least rule out.  The altered mental state and respiratory depression were enough to make it worth looking at...he obviously couldn't diagnose and isn't a doctor, but said those would have been flagged going into a hospital via ambulance.]  

We went and were there for a good 5-6 hours and all that happened was she went through triage and was told that "getting high" can cause someone to feel out of control (even though blood pressure was low and she wasn't showing any anxiety symptoms that she normally shows), that she was taken to a room and hooked up to the machines to monitor vitals, and she was given two IV drip bags of fluids (nothing more than that).  No one checked in (from nurse to doctor) for a good three hours despite me pestering them and it wasn't like they were busy with major problems.  She looked absolutely miserable the whole time and didn't show signs of improvement; she pretty much slept in a sort of daze.  When they finally did come in, without doing even a basic neurological test (much less anything more substantial), they said that it was due to the marijuana and that the IV drip bags should have been fine.  She did later seem a little bit better, to which the nurse said "see what fluids can do?"  She left with a "diagnosis" of too much marijuana and an anxiety attack--despite showing the clear opposite of anxiety symptoms. 

It almost made me wish we'd called an ambulance because then maybe an actual medic would have flagged the risk factors on the way in, as opposed to letting them completely dismiss the situation.  But since I could drive, it seemed like a waste of their time and her insurance company's money.  I also debated writing a really nasty and angry letter to the hospital so that they could at least be aware of a potential problem in the ER and consider doing something about it.

• Like 2

While inpatient... "Oh... it's so unfortunate that you have bipolar. You had so much going for you... great education, everything." 

White inpatient having meltdown: MHW: "You weren't like this last time." Me: "I'm sorry, I'm just feel completely hopeless right now." MHW: "(gives a "whatever" look and repeats) you weren't like this." And then didn't help me at all.

While inpatient in group: MHW shares with the group my history of self-harm (hello HIPAA violation) and then explains that I must have some hidden trauma to discover.

Honestly I could write a short book on all the fucked up things I've been told while IP.

• Like 1

I had a tdoc suggest that joining the military would give me the "structure" I needed to get out of bed and fix my depression. 

• Like 1

I have been pretty lucky. I had one pdoc tell me he didn't believe I had a mood disorder, but I was having a good day. And, I had a doc who kept insisting my uterine bleeding was caused by hormonal effects by my medication even though the tests were normal. I ended up having a hysterectomy and the biopsy showed a physical cause, but I do think he delayed it.

the worst thing someone said to me was a tdoc when I was first diagnosed. I was very upset that I couldn't work and felt like a burden. Like I had no identity. She told me everyone wishes for free time and that I should take advantage of it. Like I was on vacation.

• Like 1

Post pubescent me with my mother at some random podc's office after a most related cocaine induced psychoses.

pdoc: Are street drugs good?

me: (this is a trick question)... Hmmm... no.

pdoc: Wrong, street drugs are great!

me: hmm... but...

pdoc: They are so good, that's why people do it, how much you crave it? huh? how much?

• Like 2

With a previous pdoc he just didn't talk.  He'd just sit there and didn't answer anything when I tried to talk to him.  I'd say something and he'd have a slight smile on his face as if he was thinking of something else completely.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was hearing voices then.  It would make sense, but Idk what he was thinking.  He also called a family meeting without any telling me anything about it.  My mother was the one to tell me that we had a family meeting that next night. I called him to ask about it, and I asked why did he not let me know, and he said he didn't have to let me know.

-------------

Also, I have gone to the ER because the DR had me sent there by ambulance directly from her office because she thought I had had a heart attack the night before.  So I get to the ER and the nurse put me in a psych room, and said, "It's just anxiety."  And put a guard outside my door.  And my mother was with me that day.  Of course she wasn't of any help, but at least she witnessed how they treat me there. 

Someone from HR called me to see how my ER experience was (and they rarely do this), and I gave the DR a 5 because he did all he could do, and got me out of the psych room (although I still had a guard).  And I gave the nurse a 1 (I would have given her a 0 but he said the only way they get disciplined is if it is a 1 or 2.  So I gave her a 1).  I explained everything to HR, and and said that a DRs office sent me to the ER, I'm put in a psych bed, etc.  And then I said, "... and the DR who sent me to the ER ... she was thinking I had had a heart attack."  And the guy on the other end of the phone ... he didn't say much but I could hear him say something like WTF, but without say that directly.  He said that nurse would be reviewed and it will be in her records.

--------------

I was taken to the hospital because an anxiety attack (but we didn't know it then).  I called 911, and barely made it to the door before I went unconscious.  I don't remember everything, but when I was wavering in and out of consciousness (my eyes wouldn't open, and I couldn't talk), I could hear what the nurses were saying.  One said, "You want us to cut your shirt?  It is a really nice one."  THEN, I'm guessing an hour later, I finally was able to open my eyes and talk.  The first question one nurse asked, was, "What did you take?"  And i said "nothing."  Then a second nurse comes in and asks the same thing.  And I'm like "I didn't take anything."  So the ER DR comes in and asks me that same question and I said again, "I didn't take anything.  I woke up feeling like this." (and I had just seen my pdoc that morning, and I had come home and went to bed).  The DR had checked my blood and urine for everything imaginable (I found this out when I got the Medicare thing in the mail) and all was normal.  So they called my pdoc (not my primary DR) and pdoc said it was an anxiety attack.  So there was nothing the ER people could do other than let me go home.  It was a really fucked up day.  They ask "what did you take" every time I am there because of all the ODs I did way back when from 1995/6 to 1998.  And it was 2014/15 when this all happened.

I'm sure there are more, will post when I can think of them.

------------------------------

8 minutes ago, uncomfortable thoughts said:

Post pubescent me with my mother at some random podc's office after a most related cocaine induced psychoses.

pdoc: They are so good, that's why people do it, how much you crave it? huh? how much?

WOW ... I would have had no words for that if a pdoc said that to me.

Edited by melissaw72
  • Like 2

My pdoc raised my depression meds, and my tdoc said "Wow, you must have put on a real show for him!" As if I had pretended to be more depressed so I could get a med increase. Whatever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, uncomfortable thoughts said:

^^^^that is truly fucked up

"you'll never have a baby"

• Like 1

So when I had my first psychotic episode, my parents didn't know what to do and sent me to the ER. A social worker came in and told me that she believed I was faking everything, I didn't have a problem, and I just wanted attention. Then she says that she still has to keep me because I've reported being suicidal and homicidal but that "I've never seen a psychiatric patient say the things you do". All while I was horribly delusional, hallucinating, depressed, not eating, not making eye contact. That's the FIRST ever mental health professional I've ever talked to and that really stuck with me and I didn't trust anyone else for a long time.

Later, I was put on a medication when I was IP, and it made me REALLY hungry and it also could cause heart problems, so I went to the cardiologist and I have Prolonged QTC so I had to come back in a few months. Well, I'd been fairly thin because I hadn' t been eating and I gained about 20 pounds after taking the medication for a while when I next saw her (the cardiologist). She tells me I gained a lot of weight, not knowing I have a history of an eating disorder, specifically atypical anorexia. I explain to her that I was thinner in the past because I'd been starving myself and she goes, "Well, it's time to go back to that."

Like, no. I know she's not a mental health professional, but you don't tell a recovering eating disorder sufferer that it's time to go back to starving themselves to lose a few pounds (I wasn't even technically overweight, I weighed around 130 some.)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jt07 said:

One pdoc of mine was fond of saying, "Anyone in your position would be feeling bad." Of course, he thought he was being validating, but I didn't want to be validated on this. I wanted someone to tell me that things weren't as bad as I was seeing them to be. It's like me saying, "I have a crap life" with his response, "you sure do."

Not related to the post but because it's mother's day, last time after a crashing from mania, after some months with my complaints of not getting better, my mother told me:

"Well, you have nothing going on in your life, I would be worried if you were suddenly happy".

To be honest, it was the best thing she could say to me, I felt comforted.

7 hours ago, sbdivemaster said:

After gaining 40+ lbs in 2 months on Risperdal, I go for a med check.  I happened to have a soda from the machine down the hall in hand; I tell the quack about the extraordinary weight gain (from 160 to over 200 - 25% increase in body mass) and she says, "Well, I see you're not drinking a diet soda."

kirkrage5.gif

I had a similar thing.

I went to a psych ward for med adjustments, I opened a letter by my pdoc that I took out of my wallet and left it open at the table, both wallet and letter.

We exchange some points and she said she could only prescribe me Seroquel, which I told I gain huge amounts of weight in a short time while on it and I would rather not, since the problem was insomnia related. She said:

- With that burger king discount coupon sheet will be hard for you to lose weight.

At this same institution, while IP took me about five days to see the tdoc.

First thing tdoc said was some rambling and complains about how she was doing after hour/extra work, during the session which was just shitty, I thought she was moody, because she clearly was and I just brought that up and said:

- Well, I don't think you should be counseling with this attitude.

She lost her temper and replied:

- Attitude? This is your mental illness talking.

4 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

WOW ... I would have had no words for that if a pdoc said that to me.

3 hours ago, dragonfly23 said:

^^^^that is truly fucked up

To be honest, even at that time was somehow funny.

I could not come with a response, all I could think was about how messed up I was by psychoses and 'fuck drugs', but I just shut myself up and got lecture about cravings.

-

One time at school, I was playing basketball and the tip of my finger just become floppy after hitting it.

I went to the doctor and showed him flicking the tip of finger and saying "- This happened to me."

The doctor went bananas, he scared the shit out of me:

- Do you think this is funny? It will take months for your finger to heal and this will probably not even happen.

Nice approach to a kid.

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts
  • Like 1