CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
dragonfly23

Most fucked up thing a medical professional said to you.

I was frantically looking for a new pdoc since the social worker of my previous pdoc told me that he no longer wanted to be my pdoc--which happened to be a lie! (Thank GOD he took me back--rather said that was untrue!) However, while I was searching I saw one pdoc "Dr. Hell-naw," who shocked me with her bedside manner. When we asked about her hospital policies and procedures and she told me that she "doesn't see unstable patients." She said she also doesn't visit/see patients in the hospital--which I now know is common, but still. A pdoc who doesn't see unstable patients!? That's like a cardiologist who doesn't see heart attack survivors...or a dentist that doesn't treat patients who need fillings! WTF!?

I've also had ER docs take my shoes and clothes when presenting for other conditions than those related to my mental health. So, if I'm having shortness of breath from asthma/bronchitis, clearly I'm suicidal...ugh!

1 minute ago, Laptopdancer said:

I've also had ER docs take my shoes and clothes when presenting for other conditions than those related to my mental health. So, if I'm having shortness of breath from asthma/bronchitis, clearly I'm suicidal...ugh!

Can empathize 100%.  I went in for a possible heart attack and they put me in a psych ER room with a guard outside the door.  It turned out to be nothing, but right after I got there, when no tests had been done yet, the nurse said, "its probably just anxiety" ... she told everyone coming to the room that.  Someone happened to call about my experience in the ER, and I got this particular nurse written up/talked to.

Some of the highlights of things I've heard over the years:

"What do you even have to be depressed about? You're too young to have anything to be depressed about."  - A nurse in an inpatient facility. 

I saw a psychartist at one point who made inappropriate jokes about my bipolar disorder. He asked my SO if he had been to 'ducking school'. Because you know, people with BP throw stuff a lot.  (??) The worst pdoc I have ever seen. Diagnosed me with restless leg syndrome every time I saw him, as if he had no recollection of the previous times. (I don't actually have it.)

I had a therapist, who, during my 1st (and last) visit with, disagree with my bipolar diagnosis and tell me that I 'should be thankful' I don't have it because it is not an easy thing to deal with at all (or something along those lines). Which was one of the most invalidating statements I've ever heard in my life. 

Edited by her-escape

11 hours ago, her-escape said:

I had a therapist, who, during my 1st (and last) visit with, disagree with my bipolar diagnosis and tell me that I 'should be thankful' I don't have it because it is not an easy thing to deal with at all (or something along those lines). Which was one of the most invalidating statements I've ever heard in my life. 

What an asshole.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 2:56 PM, CrazyRedhead said:

This happened before I got a regular pdoc....My bp was 180/95, and my heart rate was around 140-150 bpm when I arrived at the ER, after a long time without sleep:

Me to ER doc:  "I haven't slept at all for the last week, can you please give me something to help?"

ER doc: "Insomnia never killed anyone..."

Um... wow. WTF

Pdoc not believing me unless hearing/seeing it himself. Like how is he supposed to hear what I hear when he won't come over for a few days.  And that if I I had a "reliable" person say they heard the noise I hear, he would believe me.

My first known suicide attempt at age 17 (had a few that I wasn't caught on before - obviously unsuccessful)... My gay male best friend (in the 80s, heavily closeted, I was his cover girlfriend) talked me into checking out. I believe I was psychotic at the time, I hadn't slept in days for more than an hour or two at a time - and it all made so much sense. We lived in Berlin, Germany - so we told our parents we were going out, checked into a German hotel with booze and all of the various pills we could scrounge and razor blades, burned our IDs and tried to cut our wrists. We did it the "right" direction, but being so dehydrated and drunk, we didn't expire. Woke up, tried to jump off of a building, couldn't do it, went to the military ER. 

When the nurse was trying to take blood samples, I said "ow" - she looked at me with disdain and pointed to my wrists "That shouldn't hurt after what you did to yourself" - as though it were an act of rebellion on my part.

Later, the friend told his sister that *I* talked him into it, they wanted to charge me with attempted murder - the pdoc said I wasn't "serious enough" (I'm 45 and still have deep scars, I guess they aren't serious). He also said I was normal. I grew up thinking that it was normal to want to die all of the time. I didn't figure out that it wasn't until I was in my 30s.

9 hours ago, Dphxa said:

I remember this one time I was in severe physical pain in the ER and the nurse kept coming in to check on me and every time I told her I was in serious pain.  I don't remember exactly what she said, but I do remember lying there in pain moaning so loud she must have heard from outside for hour after hour with no painkillers or TV or anything to even just take my mind off of the pain.

ERs can be a bitch.  I'm sorry they treated you that way!

• Like 1

The first therapist I went to when I was 14 I only saw for ONE session. On the first and last day that I went and saw her, She put a blanket on me, told me to close my eyes...and said to find my happy place. ? 

200.gif

Edited by nervousbat

1 hour ago, nervousbat said:

The first therapist I went to when I was 14 I only saw for ONE session. On the first and last day that I went and saw her, She put a blanket on me, told me to close my eyes...and said to find my happy place. ? 

200.gif

WTF was that about?

• Like 1

200.gif

:lol: .. Check Please!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

WTF was that about?

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly. I was baffled like, "We're moving along a tad quickly aren't we?" 

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly. I was baffled like, "We're moving along a tad quickly aren't we?" 

@nervousbatWere you able to find your happy place? I've never been able to find one when I've been told.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jt07 said:

@nervousbatWere you able to find your happy place? I've never been able to find one when I've been told.

Hi jt07, no I'm the same, I do not know of this happy place. I can visualize places that are supposed to bring happiness like a calm forest, but it won't change how I feel when I'm anxious or upset. It does not compute. But it makes me laugh how she just says right off the bat to find my happy place. ?What the heck!? Heheh

2 hours ago, nervousbat said:

Exactly.  I mean like what was going through her mind?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nervousbat said:

Hi jt07, no I'm the same, I do not know of this happy place. I can visualize places that are supposed to bring happiness like a calm forest, but it won't change how I feel when I'm anxious or upset. It does not compute. But it makes me laugh how she just says right off the bat to find my happy place. ?What the heck!? Heheh

In my case, it was the therapist's way of trying to get me to calm down (especially for meditation), but my reaction is exactly like yours. I can envision a calm forest or a beach but it doesn't change my internal state. I can see how that would be funny if those were the first words she said.

Just now, jt07 said:

In my case, it was the therapist's way of trying to get me to calm down (especially for meditation), but my reaction is exactly like yours. I can envision a calm forest or a beach but it doesn't change my internal state. I can see how that would be funny if those were the first words she said.

Awe yeah definitely! I have a hard time with meditation for this very reason. But I'm good with yoga and qi gong. Heheh yeah, I think it might have only been a few minutes in. And the session was about 30 minutes perhaps. A very interesting session. Lol "your techniques a bit questionable doc." ?

Oh, also... had gone to my gdoc to see about getting a breast reduction because I am small boned and had EE size boobs. It hurt my back. She signed off on it but the surgeon needed approval from my pdoc at the time. I went to see him and he said, "I'll sign off on it but to tell the truth, you don't need a reduction, they are nice and big just the way they are"

I never went back to him after that. I wanted to file a complaint but didn't know how.

Oh and upon getting a look at an ankle injury in the ER, the doc asked my mom what drugs I was addicted to, since I had told them codeine didn't work for me. It just doesn't. My mom was furious and talked to him very sternly. I can't help that codeine is a placebo to me, it doesn't mean I abuse drugs. WTF