CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
dragonfly23

Most fucked up thing a medical professional said to you.

About 13-14 years ago, I was sampling the addition of Zoloft or Paxil as a potential addition or substitution to my maintenance mix of the moment of Seroquel/Lamictal/Lithium/Ativan.. That resulted in a lengthy bout of dehydration and severe bruxism. End result was 4 shattered teeth from chewing my way through a mouthguard and grinding them for 16 hours in a typical Seroquel induced marathon sleep session after a solid week of manic stupidity. My regular dentist had no immediate availabilty.

Although it was well established that I had never had any prior history of drug use, through the open door of the pdoc's consultation room, I could clearly hear the staff talking amongst themselves to gather a referral to a dentist specializing in correcting 'meth-mouth'. 

Doc came back in with a name and number written neatly on a sheet of their stationery. 

I said something silly like, I guess this wouldn't happen if I learned how to cook for myself. 

He realized what I was referring to and immediately apologized. His explanation was that the receptionist was unfamiliar with the term Bruxism and he was in a hurry to get back to me so that I could work on setting up an emergency appointment. 

On my way out, the receptionist offered a very sincere apology for her ignorance and made the phone call, pleading on my behalf, to set up an appointment for me that afternoon. 

The dentist kept me entertained with a lecture of the perils of long term drug use. "Teeth are used by detectives to identify bodies, you know?" I didn't even bother to set him straight. If he knew how I really broke my teeth, he probably wouldn't have wanted to be in the same room as me. 

Guess that says a lot about the MI stigmas at the time? I felt better off pretending to be a meth or crack addict than to say it was a nasty side effect of medication. 

Had 6 teeth pulled. No anesthesia other than novacaine.. then he wrote me a prescription for 6 regular Tylenol.  

After the insurance coverage from my employer, I was left with a bill of around $300. The payment terms they selected were cash/debit only payable at time of service. Such compassion!

• Like 1

I've been pretty lucky,  but I was visted by this MH professionial when I was completely despondent and suicidal.  I told her I was suicidal and she said, "well, why haven't you done it yet?"

My diagnosis was sketchy at the time and they were kind of not acknowledging all my symptoms and I think she genuinely thought I was lying or something?  But I was shocked and basically devastated at the time!

Edited by theredthread

As far as MI goes--once long ago I called a suicide hotline. Maybe I wasn't expressing my needs well enough?  I was told he needed to take another call from someone who had actual problems, unlike me.   But OTOH, I had a neurologist tell me I couldn't be bipolar, because he knew crazy bipolar people when he saw them, and I wasn't one of them. (Is that supposed to make me feel better? ). 

A long time ago,  when I was young and hot,  I was seeing a therapist who got progressively more inappropriate with hugging me and then kissing me on the cheek from week to week and then he made the comment: "If I  were younger I would be attracted to you like a fly to shit".:o

So it was a come on and put down all at once.  Asshole! 

I then found out that he and his practice partner had only young, attractive women as their clients and a woman I knew said that the partner had told her to wear a bikini to a session and then he gave her a massage. He told her that *normally* it wouldn't be okay for a therapist to massage a client but since his boundaries were so strong it would be okay. 

Anyway,  after the fly/shit comment I never went back to the guy. 

34 minutes ago, amskray said:

He told her that *normally* it wouldn't be okay for a therapist to massage a client but since his boundaries were so strong it would be okay. 

Anyway,  after the fly/shit comment I never went back to the guy. 

A definite crime that is pretty much the equivalent of attempted rape. Therapists have a professional obligation to NOT exploit those who come to them for help. 

In the early stages of my illness, I also (briefly) had a creepy therapist who was fixated on sexual impulses.. there are a thousand different components of the tangled mind to analyze and sort out. This counselor just rushed through the checklist of symptoms (without any real follow up questions on anything) until we reached the topic of promiscuity/risky behaviors during manic episodes. I gave my honest answer and thought.. ok.. next.. 

Nope. There was no moving on. He got stuck there for way too long. The questions were from his personal perspective rather than from a professional one.  

I can't remember the way he worded it, but it was like.. "After speaking of relationships earlier, I know you identify as straight, but do you exhibit gay impulses on occasion when you experience manic states?" 

Me.. "Well, the opportunity hasn't presented itself.. but it's not my cup of tea." 

Him.. "Mania weakens impulse control and would tempt somebody out of their comfort zone quite easily.." and he was sitting there posturing as if to look all professional, and authorative, and.. available. Just not cool.

I could understand if my provided answer was concerning or waaay out of what might be expected or led him in that direction.. Some of my previous answers should have gotten a lot more attention.

I got the creepy vibe like he was 'grooming'.. 'programming my head to go against itself'..  and walked out. 

Healthy manipulation is part of the positive therapy skill set. This dude had bad intentions.

Was probably all a delusion.. but, it sure got a reaction out of me. 

Mine aren't too bad, really, but I'll add them.

My first pdoc was... not very nice. I was 19 and I was having a really hard time in my appointments with him, so when my mother was visiting me she came with me to one appointment for support. After he met her and she tried to help me advocate for myself he said "I see what the problem is and it's much worse than I thought".

My current pdoc is... a bit nicer. He keeps defining disorder in our appointments and then telling me I don't have the required features. Thankful I now have more experience advocating for myself and I'm not being pushed away by this. I'm still working at communicating my symptoms (which actually do meet the definition of a disorder)

The only Tdoc I didn't like, who left because she was pregnant, said something to the effect of; "I know you may wish you were my baby".
Like ahhh... no. What Freudian BS is that? Where do I even begin?

Also, the Pdoc who made the decision to let me out of the high dependency unit of the psych ward onto the open door ward (and didn't choose to close the doors) after my first case manage and Tdoc told me they were discharging me to a different service, knowing full well I was suicidal AF, admitted after trying to suicide. He didn't think I was serious. So, I left to try the same thing. Was picked up beside the train line by the police trying to do the same thing and returned to the psych ward at which point they decided to close the doors. He was the Pdoc for all my admissions there over that year and a half, he was an ass. Such a high BPD stigma. Oh, same ass that took me off 225mg of Zoloft I think it was & sent me home 2 days later. Was back a week later.

Edited by Remnants

My new PDoc told me about 50 times he didnt understand what was wrong with me , and just didnt get why i felt the way i did.

Prior PDOC from an IOP told me i needed psychodynamic psychotherapy to explore my past, that it really is messing me up, i agree.

New PDOC laughed and said he didnt think my past was any big deal, i explained it affected me, he said he didnt understand

IM hoping it was an off day

Here is my personal favorite. I had a doctor refuse me benzos when I was having severe anxiety and panic attacks because I was "an addict". 

Then the lady in the waiting room was on 3mg of klonopin and drank a liter of vodka per night. But thats OK I suppose. 

I was recently IP. I was called to see a medical doctor (despite not having any complaints and only minor asthma/allergies which were stable). I guess it’s standard procedure.

When I walked into the room, he looked up, gestured to a chair and closed the door. He turned to the laptop and said “I see you have a bit of a weight problem, have you considered gastric bypass?” I said “no surgery.” He looked surprised and mumbled something. After reviewing blood work (all fine, to his surprise), he asked if I had any concerns. I said no. He asked if I wanted a cream for acne (no), or “something for the rosacea.” 

The man barely looked at me, never said a thing about why I was there or my medical history, pushed medication for pretty mild acne... and bariatric surgery which has an extreme impact on absorption of not just food but also psych meds (which is a big deal considering I was in the psych ward because meds already don’t work).

During the same IP stay, I spoke with a dietitian who was really surprised that I knew nutritional information like what lean meats and complex carbohydrates are. 

One of the psychiatrists I saw there told me to switch to a “plant-based diet” because “meat causes cancer.” She lost all credibility with me after that, but I said I would read up on it. She lectured me on how to choose sources and check study funders for conflicts of interest. I had already told her I am an engineer with strong science background. 

A doctor I saw for thee sessions said in my first sitting with him (he had replaced my other doctor), "you seem to be on a lot of meds." I said I was schizoaffective and he just said "You are?" Because this was news to him and he hadn't bothered to check my records even briefly before seeing me. He then spent the remaining two sessions I had with him telling me I needed to stop seeing answers in medication and how I wasn't acting at all how a schizoaffective person presents (I was stable at the time so yeah probably not a symptomatic schizoaffective person). When I tried to tell him about my past, because even at the second meeting he STILL hadn't read anything about me, he still pushed the idea I was not ill. According to him I needed to stop using medication and instead "look inwards".The third session I had with him ended with my husband muttering to me, as soon as we left the room, that I needed to find a new doctor. My husband has seen me ill and didn't need someone telling us both it never happened or counted or whatever he meant. I had a team of doctors diagnose me with schizoaffective over a period of months, after having been diagnosed bipolar for many years previous to that. It wasn't all in my head. My pdocs since then have agreed with the schizoaffective diagnosis so I don't know what was up with this guy.

Now though, his words come to me all the time. I constantly doubt my diagnosis and my need for meds. I never struggled so strongly with that issue before, so thanks buddy. 

Edited by saintalto
  • Like 1

I started this May do 2016!    So pumped to see it’s still going strong. 

Up date to the original post.    The evil bitch doctor whom DX’d me as bored is retiring.      

I kno of a kid who got stuck on an elevator for a while on the way up to his doc and the doc still charged him full price 

@sbdivemaster   Wtf.   That’s insane

1 hour ago, sbdivemaster said:

I was actually kind of stunned, so I just paid him.  Thinking back, I should have shown him what a 10 is like...  guy would have probably wet his pants.   lol.gif

Lmao