CrazyBoards.org

Borderline as a biological illness

it's good to see that there are some people trying to put out the idea that even though a borderline might piss you off, they're not doing it on purpose.

the article is a little bit simplistic though. i know there has been talk on the boards of bpd actually being a manifestation of bipolar disorder, and of the dangers of taking ADs. my own research has mainly supported the use of mood stabilisers, especially since overactivity in some parts of the borderline brain is bad enough to be considered epileptic by some researchers.

i have been taught about a few biological theories behind borderline, but can't for the life of me find the studies i was taught from, (by an excellent neuropsychiatrist - stellar clever). one was that a borderline brain is often "immature" and tends to mature in architecture around the age of 40-45. this was shown on pet scans i think. i don't like this theory. after spending my whole life trying to show how emancipated and capable i am, i am likely to punch anyone who suggests i have a baby brain. ("could a baby brain read proust? i think not, bozo" BIFF!)

the other one, which i can anecdotally support, is that a chronic depletion of neurotransmitters, excacerbated by the dysphoria that can be nearly paralysing, can be temporarily reversed by self-harm. which explains why when i have a good cut, i'm ok, and functional for a week or two, because of the massive release of neurochemicals from the brainstem, which relieves the state of deficit. but then you have used up all the precursors and stuff, so you're even worse off than before. gah!!!!! and so you have to cut more often, and worse, to relieve the awfulness.

it's good to see that there are some people trying to put out the idea that even though a borderline might piss you off, they're not doing it on purpose.

the article is a little bit simplistic though. i know there has been talk on the boards of bpd actually being a manifestation of bipolar disorder, and of the dangers of taking ADs. my own research has mainly supported the use of mood stabilisers, especially since overactivity in some parts of the borderline brain is bad enough to be considered epileptic by some researchers.

i can anecdotally say that ADs are woah way bad for my brain.  after 10 years on an ssri or snri, last spring i finally got a doctor who was like "wow, you've been on 900 ADs and you're still depressed, let's try none" and presto chango there went the last of my borderline symptoms that DBT hadn't quite gotten rid of.  (not that i AT ALL think this will work for everyone... but whatever is going on in my head sure didn't like ADs, so i can see that there's a tie to bipolar on some level.)

i have been taught about a few biological theories behind borderline, but can't for the life of me find the studies i was taught from, (by an excellent neuropsychiatrist - stellar clever). one was that a borderline brain is often "immature" and tends to mature in architecture around the age of 40-45. this was shown on pet scans i think. i don't like this theory. after spending my whole life trying to show how emancipated and capable i am, i am likely to punch anyone who suggests i have a baby brain. ("could a baby brain read proust? i think not, bozo" BIFF!)

is this where the whole "borderlines outgrow it" thing comes from?

i've also heard that BPD is an "HPA axis dysfunction." 

according to my blood work, i have the cortisol of a lawyer (even when i'm on vacation) and the DHEA of a 90 year old... so perhaps this is from the BPD... or maybe i'm just a stressed-out nut ball stuck in fight-or-flight mode, who knows?  (which i think would lean closer to those who assert that BPD is a complex form of PTSD, i guess...)

Archived