CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone else have to be, like, really careful about who they make friends with, etc., because of the chance they'll start picking up really nasty characteristics from them?

Like, I seriously just absorb everything a lot of the time, and... well, one thing I absorbed from this girl back in December was her shoplifting habit. So now I'm a shoplifter. That's also actually how I first started cutting and binge drinking, as well--though my eating disorder and stimulant abuse stuff I picked up on my own, at least.

And yeah, I mean, I also pick up good behaviours/preferences from people (like the entire reason I'm probably going to uni eventually is because I'm mirroring that from others basically), but... Again, I have to be really careful, you know?

(Posted in the Personality Disorders subforum because Borderline Personality Disorder is often associated with extreme mirroring TMK)

ETA: Also I'm posting this because I just met someone new and I've already noticed myself mirroring her excessively. And she has a sort of fucked up fetish. Which I don't want to end up with. But I'm afraid it's already almost inevitable. Lol.

Edited by Lexie

My Diagnosis: bipolar, rapid cycling, ADHD, depression, borderline, autism

I  mirror those around me like parents, siblings, best friend, etc. be selective in not only who you mirror but who you surround yourself with, as mirroring is often an unconscious behavior (you typically do it without realizing it). Ive always attributed mirroring more to my autism. It's how I learn what social behavior is.

• Like 1

I'm probably not quiet as bad as you describe, maybe the fact that I have a lot of inbuilt 'limits' and fears that stop me from picking up anything like shoplifting but I definitely mould myself quiet excessively to those around me, I guess more than 'normal'. Especially so when I feel inferior to the person. So, often with newer friendships and stuff.

I have BPD (among other things) and I definitely do tend to 'mirror' others. For me I think a lot it stems from insecurities and not knowing who I am as a person. I pick up mannerisms often, phrases of speech, sometimes bad behavior, etc. I've been told I sometimes will pick up tones of voices as well. 

• Like 1